It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro migrant group forced to end work due to violence from migrants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Solidarité Migrants Wilson has been distributing food for migrants near Porte de la Chapelle station in Paris' 18th district for 20 months. Yet since August 1 the group has decided to stop their work as they can’t cope with the growing level of violence in the area.

"From the beginning our mission was to serve hot drinks and bread and we have done this for 20 months, every day. During the last month though (July), we started questioning our mission, as we don’t want our volunteers to be put in danger,”
Source

In Paris, a pro-migrant group of volunteer workers who were providing food and drinks to migrants for 20 months is calling it quits as they feel it has become too dangerous to attempt to help. The volunteer workers themselves were facing aggression from the migrants, despite being there only to help.
You know things are bad when people who are volunteering their time to give food and drinks to those in need start throwing in the towel and saying enough is enough.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Big cities across the western world are experiencing trouble, you may be convinced it's the migrants causing all the problems, however the issue is far more complex than that and the bottom line is always the $.
edit on 2-8-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

From your source:

Solidarité Migrants Wilson wrote a letter to the Paris administration, explaining that their volunteers won’t be able to work in the area due to tension between police and migrants, as well as the massive presence of drug addicts.

That paints a somewhat different picture to me. The source mentioned the claim by Wilson that the authorities are restricting access to water taps. It sounds like, yes, there is violence and danger, but primarily caused by the conflicts between refugees and locals.

Not a good situation for anyone.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The activist blames both the French government and the Paris administration for their inaction which lead to the growing level of violence in the district. “The state is responsible for people on the streets, for taking in migrants. Meanwhile, the authorities in Paris are restricting access to water taps in the summer. It’s irresponsible,” he laments.

The violence seems to be coming mostly from the drug addicts living in those horrible conditions. However, I don't blame the volunteers for ending their aid and keeping themselves safe. Now without bread and water from the volunteers, we may actually see an increase in violence.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Wow Ill say it since no one else wants too. ITS THE IMMIGRANTS....

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

The French government allowed them into the country, so who's responsibility is it now?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: argentus

From your source:

Solidarité Migrants Wilson wrote a letter to the Paris administration, explaining that their volunteers won’t be able to work in the area due to tension between police and migrants, as well as the massive presence of drug addicts.

That paints a somewhat different picture to me. The source mentioned the claim by Wilson that the authorities are restricting access to water taps. It sounds like, yes, there is violence and danger, but primarily caused by the conflicts between refugees and locals.

That is very important context to consider. It is much broader of an issue than to simply blame this on the migrants.
edit on 2-8-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

The French government allowed them into the country, so who's responsibility is it now?

Still has to be the immigrant responsible for their own actions..

To violent for volunteers who are always in poor "bad" neighborhoods?

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

How violent was it before the migration?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Still has to be the immigrant responsible for their own actions..

To violent for volunteers who are always in poor "bad" neighborhoods?

I wonder how you or I would act without water and food and tents, as some people are sleeping on the ground out in the elements, not to mention drug addicts in our midst.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Good question.

We should also ask how bad the drug issue was beforehand and how pro-active/interactive the authorities were beforehand.

Considering that you were willing to automatically blame the migrants, perhaps you have the statistics for those things.

Could you post them for us to see?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Good question.

We should also ask how bad the drug issue was beforehand and how pro-active/interactive the authorities were beforehand.

Considering that you were willing to automatically blame the migrants, perhaps you have the statistics for those things.

We can know one thing at least, due to the fact that volunteers felt it necessary to bring in food and water their situation must have been desperate.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Good question.

We can know one thing at least, due to the fact that volunteers felt it necessary to bring in food and water their situation must have been desperate.

Indeed. There is a lot more context to this than what some seem to be presented. From the OP's source:

Migrants cluster in terrible conditions and some of them don’t even have tents, and just sleep on the ground, he said. “Sometimes they are being woken up by police early in the morning, they kick them and use tear gas to move them,” Caro states. The situation gets even more dangerous when drug addicts show up at food distribution events and cause problems. “It creates additional tension,” Caro says. “They’re aggressive, including towards the volunteers. So this is an explosive situation,” he admits.

edit on 2-8-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

From your source:

Europe is ruined. Last time I was in Italy (2000), I arrived to Milan train station and went out looking for a taxi. A group of men forming a wall came towards me and 2 policemen showed up just when they were about to beat me and steal my stuff, those guys retreated but kept an eye from the distance.

The policemen told me I had 2 minutes to grab my stuff and go back inside the train station because they won't be able to protect me. They told me those guys were from other country. I spent the rest of the night inside the station.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Surely then you have statistics to back up your bold claim... I won't hold my breath waiting however.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

From your source:

Europe is ruined. Last time I was in Italy (2000), I arrived to Milan train station and went out looking for a taxi. A group of men forming a wall came towards me and 2 policemen showed up just when they were about to beat me and steal my stuff, those guys retreated but kept an eye from the distance.

The policemen told me I had 2 minutes to grab my stuff and go back inside the train station because they won't be able to protect me. They told me those guys were from other country. I spent the rest of the night inside the station.

Excellent example of context. Your story shows that there can be more than one side to a problem. Not only were the men wanting to beat you, but the cops were not willing or able to do their jobs.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Good question.

Dear Introvert.

I live not far from Paris and regularly visit the main largest cities of France (North and South) on business trips.

I will gladly put you up for free and drop you off at the nearest large Parisian railway station and let you see for yourself how the migrant situation has just totally gotten out of control over here if you like?

Kindest respects

Lags
edit on 2-8-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Crap grammar

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

From your source:

The problem with this context is the side of the migrants is missing.

Excellent example of context. Your story shows that there can be more than one side to a problem. Not only were the men wanting to beat you, but the cops were not willing or able to do their jobs.

The problem with this context is the sides of the migrants and government are missing.
edit on 18CDT08America/Chicago04680831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

From your source:

So how did that make you feel

? Did the police men wait for the bad men to leave? What happened next please finish the story, was inside the train station off limits to these bad men...

edit on 2-8-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Back in the 80's I could walk in Italy anytime and never saw that kind of situation. All the migrants I met were hard workers. Not anymore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join