It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about a new cell phone

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DirtyBizzler

Tick, tick, tick, lol

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: Bluntone22

There are many articles out there with the best phones for 2018 depending upon what you want to do.

Assuming you want android.

The S9
Google Pixel 2 - Hands down, best camera on a smartphone
OnePlus 5

LG G6 is an older phone, with an an older chipset, but in the $400 dollar range

I have to diss the LG G6 phone because the software is iffy and causes many problems. Not worth the trouble.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Last year, I went from the Galaxy 4 to the Galaxy 8. I really like it. My partner and I got a deal, buy one get one at ATT. Anyway, there are some really great phones that are not really expensive....Found this for you, hope it helps.

We've deployed our knowledge of the best phones under $300 and tested hundreds of cheap phones to rank the best devices. Only the cheapest unlocked, contract-free and SIM-free phones are included in the top ten.

www.techradar.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I did say "theoretically", lol

All joking aside, Note series phones are universally awesome. I would have bought a Note 8, but I dropped my phone off someone's house during an inspection and broke it. Got an S9+ instead. I wish Samsung would just give up on their proprietary Android sh*t, but I just disable the stock apps and put on Google Now/Pixel 2 Launcher and forget about them altogether.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Get an Honor View 10 - You will not be sorry. They run around $400-$450, with top of the line specs. You could also go a little cheaper and drop $200 on an Honor 7X (which is my daily driver) - runs just as nicely as my LG G6, for 1/3 the price, with a much better camera.

The beauty of those is that they run Huawei's in-house Kirin Chipset - Octocore, zero heat issues, virtually non-existent thermal throttling, and battery life that lasts for days (literally, I charge my phone once every two days, and get an average of 7+ hours screen on time, off of a charge with heavy usage).

They also seem to not have all of the stupid issues of Samsung, Pixel, LG, etc- no bluetooth glitches, boot issues, freezes, lagging, bloatware overload, etc.

My Fiance came off of a Samsung S7 and an LG G6, and she even says the Honor 7X (with the "mid-range" chipset) runs just as good, if not better, than the previous devices with $650-$850 price tags)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I have one that I still use occasionally ( I pop in my SIM card and use it when I go up North to our Lake Cottage, love the waterproofing). But the Front Facing camera was atrocious - It was 2017 and they decided to put in a 5mp front facer? might as well have skipped it altogether...

Software wise though, after an android version update (and several other updates over the course of a year and a half) they finally worked out all the kinks..... Took a really long time though

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: dug88

I hate all the crap that came on my last Samsung.
You can turn all the apps off but they still take up space.

That's one thing I was hoping to avoid.

Motorola seems pretty good about that. The only Motorola things my phone came with were a blue light filter for night time...which is actually pretty nice, some gesture crap I don't use and a home screen. The rest was stock google stuff I disabled and replaced.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Tick, tick, tick, lol

That's what I thought after reading you want advice on what phone to buy, are phones really that illusive to you?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Another vote for the pixel 2 xl....mainly for the camera.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Tick, tick, tick, lol

That's what I thought after reading you want advice on what phone to buy, are phones really that illusive to you?

Why is asking for actual hands on experience a bad thing?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I switched to windows mobile and now have a phone that can hold my sim and my work sim. International ready, 4g, 1080p screen with a 13.5 mgp camera. My phone has been dropped so many times and the screen doesn't have a scratch on it. All for about 400usd

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

a reply to: dug88

I hate all the crap that came on my last Samsung.
You can turn all the apps off but they still take up space.

That's one thing I was hoping to avoid.

You can gain root level privileges and remove anything on most android devices.

I'm going to hold out to see if the Red hydorgen one is any good - but samsung has decided to start manufacturing their phones in a way that makes it difficult to replace the battery without fear of damaging it so I'd probably stay away from them now

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Absolutely love my new Sony Xperia Xz2. Great photo quality, HD recording, water resistant, dust resistant, curved glass, pretty display and faster than anything I've ever used before. Battery will go all day too.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
My take on phones: none are worth more than $150 and i won't really pay more.

My last purchase was an LG Stylo 2 for $129. Its 2 years old now and still doing fine. My next one will be whatever costs about 130-150 on the Boost mobile site.

I also don't do contracts. I pay $100/mo for unlimited 4g LTE data on my wife, me, and my youngest son. I may add my mom and bring my bill up to $120/mo.

The worst thing about buying a phone for me is that I can't stand spending money that isn't adding value to my life.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

The xz2 is still $700+
That's what I want to avoid

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

i loved the Nokia 7 plus, the battery lasts for 2 or 3 days sometimes and its rigged and would also like to add that its a good looking device

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

As the title says I'm considering a new phone.
I have a galaxy now that's maybe 4 years old.
It works fine but that can change quickly as my phones do get pretty beat up. I find it's best to be prepared.

Anyways there is no way in holy hell I'm going to pay $1150.00 for an iphone x.
There is a cheaper model but it's only got 64gb memory and that sucks.

The new galaxies are in the $800's too so I'm not interested in going there either.

I know both are good phones but I can buy a mac home computer for that kind of cash.

Does anyone have experience with other brands of smart phones? There are a bunch on the market today but I just dont trust the online reviews.

I would much rather spend $400 on a phone.

I dont use the phone for games much because I'm old and can't see...lol

Texting, internet searches, music,Facebook
Basic tasks.

What say you?

I paid $69 for a Huawei smart phone no contract at Walmart. Lg 6" screen, 4g, fully functional..internet, apps, the works.

Does most everything a $500-1000 phone does. Came with 8g internal, bought 32g SD card.

Went to ATT (comp. doesn't matter...not suggesting them)..$45 no contract monthly...unlimited calls, text, 8g high speed data, then reg.speed data til next cycle (you never would not have data available to you).

Bottom line? Only spent $70 for phone/Walmart, $45 monthly service. Does everything.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I see listings for £410 upwards

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail

I see listings for £410 upwards

What's that in $$$$
I think its $530ish
edit on 2-8-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I own a One Plus 5T phone and it's been absolutely fantastic to use, best phone I've owned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join