It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry state of affairs in 1951 - Flying Saucers modern version of flying dragons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
In 1951 I was 13 years old and I was more interested in looking thru the then-new Playboy to appreciate Marilyn Monroe's body than newspapers. So stories of flying saucers had not entered my consciousness yet. That would come 5 years later. But once I was introduced to the subject by an Air Force captain I befriended in Morocco, I didn't look back. After that introduction to George Adamski I could not wait to get my hands on everything that was published and, trust me, I had a voracious reading appetite.

Jump to a few minutes ago and I read an old article about a sighting from 1951. The article is a gas as it shows how uncoordinated everyone was, military and civilian and the games they played. Notice that in the article Roswell is not mentioned!

BEHIND THE FLYING SAUCERS is a book by Frank Scully and is available as a free PDF download from:
www.scribd.com...

The Charleston Daily Mail
February 3, 1951
BEHIND THE FLYING SAUCERS
Huge Disc Sighted Flying 56 Miles Up
By Frank Scully
tinyurl.com...

edit on 1-8-2018 by The Shrike because: To add content

edit on 1-8-2018 by The Shrike because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Frank Scully was instrumental in spreading the meme of a UFO cover-up by exploiting the Air Force's typical military secrecy policies and their bungling public relations and mixed messages. Scully, more than Donald Keyhoe, effectively trained the public to believe that if there is no UFO evidence, that's because the government is hiding it.

Silas Newton's Aztec crashed flying saucer hoax was made into a best-selling book by Frank Scully in 1950, and millions more heard about the story from radio and newspaper coverage. It helped lay the foundations for UFO belief, and when the book was discredited, the Scully story was rejected, but the concepts it introduced were still embraced.

For more on the early developments in UFO history and how the legends were born, see:
The Saucers That Time Forgot
edit on 3-8-2018 by CardDown because: sp

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Frank Scully. Dana Scully (X-Files). Coincidence?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardDown
Frank Scully was instrumental in spreading the meme of a UFO cover-up by exploiting the Air Force's typical military secrecy policies and their bungling public relations and mixed messages. Scully, more than Donald Keyhoe, effectively trained the public to believe that if there is no UFO evidence, that's because the government is hiding it.

Silas Newton's Aztec crashed flying saucer hoax was made into a best-selling book by Frank Scully in 1950, and millions more heard about the story from radio and newspaper coverage. It helped lay the foundations for UFO belief, and when the book was discredited, the Scully story was rejected, but the concepts it introduced were still embraced.

For more on the early developments in UFO history and how the legends were born, see:
The Saucers That Time Forgot

Jim Moseley and I were friends. In the 1960s I used to visit Jim's office on Fifth Ave. to talk and I would buy something of his shelves. He was known for throwing wild Christmas parties attended by everyone who was anyone in UFOlogy. I was fortunate to go to his 1978 party 'cause I was Associate Editor of Beyond Reality ((UFO magazine) and my name appeared in his next issue of Saucer Smear with other top names. It was great to be in that mix of people. Jim was a real likable guy.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit

It could be a coincidence unless the show's researchers found Scully's name mentioned in the many sources they used. Keep in mind that Dan Brown in his book "The da Vinci Code" mentions "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" (a book by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln) and Brown gives one of his book's characters "A noted British Grail historian named Sir Leigh Teabing" a mix of Baigent plus Leigh.

A play on words or, names.

edit on 3-8-2018 by The Shrike because: To add content

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit

I thought the exact same thing! Most likely because I was watching the newest season of X-Files earlier.

The government sure is good at playing dumb about the possibility of aliens and UFOs. It seemed like they were more of a mess back then than they are now.

new topics

top topics

join