It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inner-City Pastors Praise President Trump as The Most PRO-Black President...EVER!.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

That's one side of it and it gets old. The other is the "Trump is bestest" and that gets old as well.

I agree. And it's quite simple-minded. I want to think -- to believe -- that there's more to it, and I'm trying to figure out that "more" is. Sometimes our discussions seem to get stuck on a certain note, perhaps because folks don't know how to further articulate their position or their whys and wherefores, or perhaps because we get stuck on that one note and aren't able to shift gears to another angle... I don't know. That's what I'm trying to understand. And I don't know how else to do that except to ask those expressing that position.

If he can help the inner cities I'm all for that. Go to town. It's needed. But most pro black ever? Hardly.

Well, the "first" Black Prez was already taken
(Only kidding!)

The pastor's comments of course only speak to his opinion of Trump, and he obviously has great esteem and respect for Trump -- especially in this context -- and I think that's the takeaway here. Of course he cannot speak for everyone of any color. But these pastors have intimate knowledge and experience with the troubles plaguing the inner cities, and if they think Trump can and will make a positive difference, then more power to all of them.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Okay... got it. The pastor has a longstanding relationship with Trump, including being part of his campaign.

But that's how it works. People support their like-minded friends and co-workers and colleagues when they run for office. People support the candidates that think and act in ways they like and support. And apparently that is the situation here. Why wouldn't we expect the pastor to support Trump? Why wouldn't we expect the Pastor to work with Trump?

What makes a political working/personal relationship negative or toxic? As opposed to positive and proactive?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Again, if you are going to do anything within the black community, it is going to involve the church and black pastors. There is no way around this fact.

That's just lazy! There is no magic bullet within religion. The government has no business passing their problems onto churches, bolstering the church community while abandoning secular city community centers.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Again, if you are going to do anything within the black community, it is going to involve the church and black pastors. There is no way around this fact.

That's just lazy! There is no magic bullet within religion. The government has no business passing their problems onto churches, bolstering the church community while abandoning secular city community centers.

Who said anything about abandoning secular community centers? The reality in the black community is that most of the community centers are actually tied to churches.

It has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with who is most tied into the community and it is primarily the church. Again, you are showing your ignorance of the black community and culture as you cannot exclude the black church. It simply isn't possible because the roots are too deep.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yeah, CAIR And the other major Islamic organization of the US all decided to Boycott and have a 'Not Trump Iftar' dinner this year. So instead of trying to make it right, the organizations, not Trump, bailed out.

Religion in the US is huge. Black communities listen to their pastors. White Communities, Hispanic Communities. It is as old as time. What is happening is that the 'lightbulb' has finally clicked and 'party lines' are eroding for the Democrats.

2020 will see the largest non-democratic voting block of minorities ever voting for Trump.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I contend that this issue is about money and government granted authority.

I have no problem with religious folks participating in secular community efforts. I have a problem with the government granting funding and favored community authority to any religious community over the effort of the secular community and their facilities. The government has a resonsibility to the entire community, not just the Christian community.

edit on 2-8-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

So, the Trump administration caters to Christians more than any other administration! Who would've thought! LOL

Yep, not a single Druid in the bunch, and no witches either...hmmm I mean it is 2018 and he should have put out invitations access all 4200+ religions...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

So, there it is again. Only Christians can address inner city crime and prison reform. Everyone else is either a thug or a something of a mockery.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
www.osv.com... lots of inner city youth find help and guidance in churches

When Marcos Enrique first speaks with the inner-city teenagers who show up for sacramental preparation, he assumes nothing. He does not expect that they attend Mass or even that they believe in God. In fact, for the first month of the program, he does not talk about God at all. On the first day, he tells the kids, “The truth is that, no, you don’t believe in God, and it’s OK.” He said that the suffering he sees in the lives of these teens is difficult to reconcile with a loving, all-powerful God. Over the course of the first weeks, he sets the stage to show them that despite their brokenness, God is with them. Enrique is the admissions director for Cristo Rey Boston High School. Through his work, he meets many young people who had never received the sacraments — some have never even been baptized. In order to minister to them, he started the Teen Christian Initiation Program at St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in the Boston neighborhood of Jamaica Plain in 2012. The first year, 49 14- to 18-year-olds completed the program. The following year, there were 43, and on June 6, another 48 teens from inner-city Boston were set to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation.

www.npr.org... yep even gang members go to church and often in cities gangs observe sunday truces so they can go with their families to make sure no one gets shot trying to get into a church

El Salvador has one of the highest murder rates in the world, much of it gang-related. The group's MS-13 and Barrio 18 have some 70,000 members in Central America. El Salvador's government has struggled for solutions, cracking down on gangs and also negotiating with them. But nothing has seemed to work. Now churches may offer a way to turn gang members away from crime. Reporter Sarah Esther Maslin writes in The Economist's 1843 Magazine that evangelical churches are trying to help gang members who want to leave what's called la vida loca. SARAH ESTHER MASLIN: This is something that started in a prison up in the northeast of the country when a couple hundred gang members sort of declared they wanted to move to a different part of the prison and conduct Christian services and cut ties from the - you know, the rest of the gang members in this prison. It has now sort of spread to the outside. And, you know - whereas before, you've always seen individual, ram-shackled churches throughout the country that will take in, you know, a gang member, let them come to the services. But what's new is the quantity.

www.chicagotribune.com... for alot of inner city youth churches are one of the only places they can get this kind of guidance

On the neighborhood-level, former gang members are still coordinating conflict interventions through church, community and city-affiliated programs, with a new program launched in 2016 on the historically troubled West Side. CeaseFire Illinois, founded 16 years ago, also remains active, though on a more limited basis after losing financial support from the state and city.
they also act as conflict negotiators and attempt to help settle disputes in neutral ground

cultureandyouth.org...

When churches reach out to meet the needs of kids, set expectations, and provide support to reach those expectations, youth are open to change and become quite successful as participants in non-antisocial behavior. Often communities respond to gang activity with fear, and churches can help by rebuilding relationships in the community. From churches in North Carolina to New York City to Chicago, opportunities for worship and community relationships are developing in creative ways. Ex-gang members are participating in ministries as leaders. Worship involves traditional lyrics to contemporary arrangements. Hip-hop is welcomed with boundaries, and the timing of ministries reflects social calendars of youth. Gangs evolve or grow to be less antisocial and more of a fellowship when the church listens and observes the factors affecting groups of young people.
so yeah lots of gang and former gang members going to church despite what Sookiechacha seems to think

www.ted.com... ted talk on the matter

www.huffingtonpost.com... huff post link on churches helping end violence

www.kget.com...

www.christianitytoday.com... the churches think its their duty to try to help

not religious at all really (was raised Unitarian lol) so dont have a dog in this fight but to act like gang members dont go to church (any one remember the mob?) is foolish and at least they are trying to help

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

a reply to: YouSir

I've done plenty of community service, and not court ordered community service either. I've invested more time and effort into my perspective communities than almost anyone I know.

I have never seen you before but can tell you have very long arms with which you use to pat yourself on the back.

Also , you keep saying gangs , gangs like that is all who live in inner cities. If secularism taught families to stay together and

not worship gold bling , 200 dollars sneakers , and death rap it might just help as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It's all about perception.
If you are a leftists things like being independent and employed are seen as a bad thing. I think many people are waking up to the reality that government dependency creates mass poverty. If you just give people a means of betterment they will grasp it...

And I'm not talking about free education.
I'm talking about equality of opportunity over equality of outcome.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ChristianParr

Trump is an idiot and his own worst enemy, but he's doing great things as President which is all that matters.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Self empowerment used to be a leftist ideal.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I contend that this issue is about money and government granted authority.

I have no problem with religious folks participating in secular community efforts. I have a problem with the government granting funding and favored community authority to any religious community over the effort of the secular community and their facilities. The government has a resonsibility to the entire community, not just the Christian community.

Can the President reach out to different groups at different meetings or do we need to have a mass gaggle of all at the same time? Different group bring different concerns, needs, desires etc...

Seems you are trying to turn an approach to address inner city problems into something else...

These are leaders within their communities and it seems the purely secular community efforts are not working, and have almost never worked, so what is the deal if they happen to be religious leaders that the masses within their community follow?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Every black person I know here in Charleston is a Christian. We have no staff on Sunday because they all want to be in church.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: savagediver

Also , you keep saying gangs , gangs like that is all who live in inner cities. If secularism taught families to stay together and

I keep saying gangs because gang members are responsible for and make up a significant number of criminals and incarcerated inmates from inner cities, which is what this panel of Christian pastors was meant to address, crime and for profit prison reform.

If secularism taught families to stay together and not worship gold bling , 200 dollars sneakers , and death rap it might just help as well.

You can't teach morality and Christians don't own the moral high ground. As far as not worshipping gold bling, tell it to Mr Trump and golden toilet! He's a fine example of the government not being able to tell people what or who to worship!

And remember, it was good ole Christian values that separated slave families for hundreds of years, and are currently separating asylum seeking families at the border!
edit on 2-8-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Can the President reach out to different groups at different meetings or do we need to have a mass gaggle of all at the same time? Different group bring different concerns, needs, desires etc...

They wouldn't be there if there wasn't funding to support the projects being proposed. That funding should be offered to ALL groups, not just Christians who want to insert their church authority into the criminal justice system.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

So, there it is again. Only Christians can address inner city crime and prison reform. Everyone else is either a thug or a something of a mockery.

What are you implying here...get to your point, or do I need to guess. You keep saying Christian instead of religious, so are you suggesting the lack of Muslims, or Jews, Druids ...I'm trying to figure out where you are taking this as you seem to beat around the bush.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You can't teach morality 

Lmao........... What??????

What the hell do you think parents are doing for the first 18 yeara of their children's lives.......

Holly hell the blatant ignorance in your posts on this thread are just dumbfounding......

I try to keep from breaking balls these days on ATS.......

But how can you even say that sentence w a straight face and believe it.....
edit on 8/2/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You can't teach morality

OH REALLY????? Most of what I base my morality on as in how to treat people as I would like them to treat me was taught to me from when I was an itty bitty child and from church I attended as a youth.

edit on 2-8-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join