It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Dead In ICE Detention Center Due To ‘Negligent Care’: Immigration Lawyer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This is unverified so I'm not putting it in the Breaking Political News forum, but this is very concerning if true. Apparently the dumpster fire that is Trump's child separation policy just keeps getting worse. According to this immigration lawyer, one of those separated children has died while in ICE custody.

Immigration lawyer Mana Yegani from Houston claimed in a series of tweets Tuesday that an unidentified child had died while under the care of ICE in a Texas detention center.In one of the tweets, Yegani revealed a possible cause for the child’s death.

“The child died following her stay at an ICE Detention Center, as a result of possible negligent care and a respiratory illness she contracted from one of the other children. The events took place in Dilley Family Detention Center in south Texas,” she wrote.

While there was no confirmation about the whereabouts of the child’s parents, Yegani said the former’s grandmother was in New Jersey. She added a lawyer was in touch with the family of the child to get more information about the matter.

“If they ask for a visa, the US government won’t give them one. If they stay in their country their kids get killed by the gangs. So they are damned if they try to come the legal or illegal way,” she wrote in another tweet.

The ICE has not issued any statement regarding the incident and hence, there was no way of verifying whether Yegani’s claims were true.

I really don't have much to say on this. I'm personally not surprised if it is true. The level of neglect that went into documenting these children was just astounding, so it's not surprising that basic needs like health care aren't being met either. I really hope it isn't true though. This policy is already a rather black smudge on our international reputation.
edit on 1-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

One child's life lost while under supervision of adults is too many.

That being said, unfortunately you don't have to look far to see that in the bloated bureaucracy of our country. How many kids go missing/die while under the "care" of social services?

Glad to see people are looking out for kids all of a sudden, maybe we can widen the scope.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Lots of (IF's / MAYBEs/ COULD BEs/ MIGHT BEs/ ALLEDGEDLYs). Unverified story you say? Nuff said on what I think of the story.

Nevermind, screw it. Doesn't even warrant an explanation other than what I have said already

edit on 1-8-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

How about we don't try to combine two distinct and separate problems into one? That just creates a watered down solution that doesn't adequately address either problem correctly. Right now, this alleged incident is a result of a distinct policy that the Trump administration implemented. The solution lies in addressing that policy. Meanwhile, the issue you brought up is an ingrained and systemic issue that requires careful tweaking of regulatory codes at the state and federal level to fix. The children you bring up are important, but let's not trivialize this other issue by bringing it up.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

The children you bring up are important, but let's not trivialize this other issue by bringing it up.

Sorry, I should have known better. I'm sure you'll make a thread about it later.

I didn't mean to muck up your angle.

Maybe a thread on Syria later too? You know, for the children.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: WarPig1939

You apparently haven't thought that plan through very well. First. Deportation costs money and resources. You can't just wave your hand and the people are out of the country. Planes need to allocated. They need to be fueled. They need to be piloted. Their routes planned. Schedules implemented. And many more.

Second, if you think the international backlash against Trump for implementing the policy initially was bad, then your plan would make it look like a celebration. Dumping a bunch of unsupervised children straight into another country that they may or may not have originally came from and their parents may or may not be even in will create pretty much near unanimous condemnation from the entire international community. You may not care about that, but quite a few Americans do.

Third. It's Constitutionally illegal and violates Due Process.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

The children you bring up are important, but let's not trivialize this other issue by bringing it up.

Sorry, I should have known better. I'm sure you'll make a thread about it later.

I didn't mean to muck up your angle.

Maybe a thread on Syria later too? You know, for the children.

Why won't you make the thread? It sounds important to you. I'd think that you'd know more about it than me. You aren't perhaps just using the issue to try to bludgeon my credibility are you?
edit on 1-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

One child's life lost while under supervision of adults is too many.

That being said, unfortunately you don't have to look far to see that in the bloated bureaucracy of our country. How many kids go missing/die while under the "care" of social services?

Glad to see people are looking out for kids all of a sudden, maybe we can widen the scope.

Agreed completely... Suddenly kids are really bigly important in the USA because of certain peoples extreme hate for your elected president.

There are some very sick puppies on this planet that have gone to the extreme point of using children as their final excuse to portray their political hatred.

How deeply very sick and twisted of not only the lawyer but also how the OP has twisted his/her words to fit his/her biased agenda.

Lags
edit on 1-8-2018 by Lagomorphe because: IMO, Some people have really sick and twisted minds to get their hatred across...

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Like everything else doesn't cost money. So be it. Spend the money to send them back, we sure as hell don't want them living here until they come here LEGALLY on their own merits and not by a smuggler or risking death for asylum like the EU.

They all came from south of the border. Why should anyone give a frak what country it is, let Mexico sort the problem out. It isn't our responsibility to research each person and figure out what country they are from. They go back to the country they crossed from.

Third, we are way past the point of due process.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

You aren't perhaps just using the issue to try to bludgeon my credibility are you?

No, I'm sure you mean well and are genuinely saddened by this (if true) as am I.

It just gets frustrating that people are silent for over a decade for all the unjust wars and incompetence our government exudes... But since this topic has political leverage it runs daily.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This is unverified so I'm not putting it in the Breaking Political News forum, but this is very concerning if true. Apparently the dumpster fire that is Trump's child separation policy just keeps getting worse. According to this immigration lawyer, one of those separated children has died while in ICE custody.

Immigration lawyer Mana Yegani from Houston claimed in a series of tweets Tuesday that an unidentified child had died while under the care of ICE in a Texas detention center.In one of the tweets, Yegani revealed a possible cause for the child’s death.

“The child died following her stay at an ICE Detention Center, as a result of possible negligent care and a respiratory illness she contracted from one of the other children. The events took place in Dilley Family Detention Center in south Texas,” she wrote.

While there was no confirmation about the whereabouts of the child’s parents, Yegani said the former’s grandmother was in New Jersey. She added a lawyer was in touch with the family of the child to get more information about the matter.

“If they ask for a visa, the US government won’t give them one. If they stay in their country their kids get killed by the gangs. So they are damned if they try to come the legal or illegal way,” she wrote in another tweet.

The ICE has not issued any statement regarding the incident and hence, there was no way of verifying whether Yegani’s claims were true.

I really don't have much to say on this. I'm personally not surprised if it is true. The level of neglect that went into documenting these children was just astounding, so it's not surprising that basic needs like health care aren't being met either. I really hope it isn't true though. This policy is already a rather black smudge on our international reputation.

That is a risk you take when you choose that avenue of entering the country. Just like a daycare center. What did the parents do to advocate for her health if she was ill? Was this a child that was sent here alone? What condition was the child before she came to the center? Everyone wants to win a lawsuit.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939
They all came from south of the border. Why should anyone give a frak what country it is, let Mexico sort the problem out. It isn't our responsibility to research each person and figure out what country they are from. They go back to the country they crossed from.

Um... Because they are children and this human emotion called empathy. Perhaps you've experienced it before?

That statement is literally a word salad and nonsense. Every person has the right to due process. Citizen or not. There is no point where we stop implementing due process. That is as 100% unAmerican!

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Remember everyone. If it is for the children, it is worth doing no matter how messed up or wrong the situation may be or laws on the books. IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN DAMIT!

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

I'm sorry, but risk or not, our country shouldn't be accepting children deaths in our custody on top of losing them in our system. Don't victim blame here. The fault of the death is entirely the ICE's fault.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

You aren't perhaps just using the issue to try to bludgeon my credibility are you?

No, I'm sure you mean well and are genuinely saddened by this (if true) as am I.

It just gets frustrating that people are silent for over a decade for all the unjust wars and incompetence our government exudes... But since this topic has political leverage it runs daily.

Have you met me? I'm not silent on anything I believe in. I served in Iraq. I know all about dumb wars we fight in. However, I'm also able to compartmentalize my issues with the government and address my concerns on a case by case basis.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Um... Because they are children and this human emotion called empathy. Perhaps you've experienced it before?

That statement is literally a word salad and nonsense. Every person has the right to due process. Citizen or not. There is no point where we stop implementing due process. That is as 100% unAmerican!

Yeah and there are children in Africa in much worse conditions and fight as child soldiers and somehow we aren't concerned about that because we don't see it yet I'm supposed to care about some kids that were smuggled here illegally and give them citizenship because "feelings". Human emotion is the problem, we need solutions and not a good Disney world ending... Get real.

Un-American my arse. Send them all back.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

My apologies.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I think the title of this thread is a bit misleading compared to what the actual article says the child did not die in the Detention Center it died following a stay at the Detention Center possibly from neglect and a respiratory illness caught from another child.

I think we need a lot more details before any opinions can be formed accurately

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Don't victim blame here. The fault of the death is entirely the ICE's fault.

You're completely right, it's ICE's fault that this child was sent across the border illegally, be it with their family or on their own.

Y'know, maybe it's not necessarily that ICE is negligent like so many want to believe, maybe it's more that there's just that many illegals coming across the border and there's not enough agents to actually properly care for them while they're detained.

With that said, no, letting them loose in our country is not the answer.

Send them all back.

edit on 1-8-2018 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: WarPig1939

Those children aren't currently in US custody. However, the US sends aid to African countries, so what more would you like seen done on that front?
United States foreign aid

Un-American my arse. Send them all back.

Once we reunite them with their parents (as was court ordered) and provided due process is followed they will be deported.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join