It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you need ID to buy groceries?

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Great way to put it
I agree

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus
a reply to: Scrutinizing

The signature is only useful if a credit card charge ends up in court and lawyers then have to debate if the signature is yours.

I have scribbled the most unintelligible chicken scratch to sign for credit card purchases and never been questioned.

But more to the point...

Credit Cards mostly no longer require signatures at all. Most stores that still do it simply have outdated policies or systems

www.creditcards.com...

That's most interesting. I can't see how, in a legal situation, one would be able to establish authenticity, without consistent identity points, the likes to establish a forged signature or not, this by mere similarity in what are, still, chicken tracks, forgeries generally quite similar, the standard of proof high. As you mention, you can scribble anything, which can make the signature pointless, hence the system pointless, ineffective. For this reason, it would make sense just to dispense with the signatures.

Thanks for the link, will have to have a look at it. This just having a chipped card, nothing else, not even to input your zipcode, I have no idea how that works, except companies resigned to suffering some fraud, that, hopefully, the card gets cancelled, fast enough. Maybe your link will answer some stuff!
edit on 2-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Typo.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Annee

Great way to put it
I agree

Trump has actually said, he watches the audience reaction - - then focuses on how they respond.

He's a conman.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

"A 'half Truth' is a 'FULL Lie'' James "Jimmy; Jim Bob; J.N.; Big J; Lefthanded Jay" Nasium.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Bigly

It's "Big League". Now should we proceed to call you a liar? An idiot?

Trump isn't the best at expressing himself, and it reads like you have the same problem. The question is, should we spend our days quibbling about how badly you express yourself, or should we in good faith try to engage with your arguments?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

how do you get that id?? there's a slew of other documents that can be used to prove your identity.. if there wasn't, that id would be worthless.

that list of other documents usually can be substituted... matter of fact usually that photo id is not the only document that is required to prove who you are for many things.

and, some banks may allow you under certain circumstances to use those other documents instead of the photo id. also some elderly people may have had their bank account for so long, the requirements were much easier when they opened it. they might have been working in the same place that no photo id was needed to get the job. they may be stay at home moms that never needed a driver's license or a job.

I'm not debating the idea of voter id here.. I live in a state that has it and doesn't bother me at all..
but it is rather misleading that you just can't live in our society without a photo id I think. my mom lived her whole life without one and died rather young, I am pretty sure that there are other people her age still alive that are managing to do the same thing. it wasn't that long ago that you didn't need a photo id to be productive, to get a job, to have a bank account or to deposit checks into it. and like I said... I don't need to show an id to withdraw the money from my bank account, to use my debit card to buy anything, ect. heck, I didn't even need to deposit my paychecks into the banks when I was working.. I just signed the checks gave it to my hubby and he deposited mine when he deposited his in.
it wasn't till after 9/11 that they started clamping down and it became a hassle to prove who you are to get a job, to open a bank account, lol... to get the photo id to begin with and then it was only because the state we moved to was one of the first to clamp down after 9/11.

all I needed to get my first jobs were my social security card.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Words

Bigly

Trump isn't the best at expressing himself

Trump is superb at "expressing himself". That is virtually beyond debate.

It is his disdain for facts and truth that is perpetual issue.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry I participated in this thread. Whether Trump lied about one needing an ID to buy groceries or not is irrelevant to society as a whole. What is relevant is that Trump now has a 50% approval rating, which is 5 points higher than Obama's, at the same point during his presidency. Keep it up leftists & thanks for all your hard work & help promoting Trump's agenda. Also, thanks for record gun sales during the Obama administration & driving NRA memberships up from the Parkland shooting hysteria. Also, thanks for promoting abortion so there are less Democrat voters to vote for people like Bernie Sanders. Keep up the evil & ignorant work leftists.
edit on 2-8-2018 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

originally posted by: Words

Bigly

Trump isn't the best at expressing himself

Trump is superb at "expressing himself". That is virtually beyond debate.

It is his disdain for facts and truth that is perpetual issue.

No he isn't. He is crass, inarticulate, and ineloquent. This is true from any perspective.

The assumption that he has a disdain for facts is itself not a fact.

The problem is that people hold him to a standard they themselves are unable to live up to. He is the most fact-checked man in history. I could only wish that the media's base held themselves to the same standards, that they policed each other's speech as much as they did his, and that they got up on stage once and a while and tried doing what Trump does. They'd melt under that pressure.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Yet you still *REQUIRE* ID to function as a productive adult in our society

But you can leave it home when you go buy groceries.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Do shop owners ask for ID when buying groceries? Simple answer is, yes, sometimes.
Ergo, Trump was correct - again, and liberals are wrong - again.

edit on 2/8/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

but a stay at home is probably one of the most productive people out there...
and, if they have a husband working and are a one car family... she might not see a need for a driver's license and could not find reason for a photo id.

why not just say that we need more security in our voter system and photo ids should be helpful in that respect and work from there.
it's rather insulting to say oh, you don't have a photo id?? you must not be that productive and shouldn't be voting.
another group of people that statement could very well insult would be those who have spent more years being productive than most of us on this thread and are trying to enjoy their golden years and the wisdom that they have gained through those years are a value to society.

edit on 2-8-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Sillyolme

but a stay at home is probably one of the most productive people out there...
and, if they have a husband working and are a one car family... she might not see a need for a driver's license and could not find reason for a photo id.

Which means that if she went to a grocery store and tried to buy alcohol but did not look old enough and could not provide ID - she wouldn't get it

i.e. Grocery stores ask for ID.
Simple really.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

considering that it's seems to be the christian right that are most vocal about moms should be staying home...
I kind of doubt that would be a major problem for them... after all they can always get their hubby to buy it for them...
I mean they also believe that it's their husbands that should be deciding everything for them, his money she is spending for it.

by the way... I don't drink, never really drank that much, so it wouldn't have bothered me on bit that I couldn't buy booze.

edit on 2-8-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

considering that it's seems to be the christian right that are most vocal about moms should be staying home...
I kind of doubt that would be a major problem for them... after all they can always get their hubby to buy it for them...
I mean they also believe that it's their husbands that should be deciding everything for them, his money she is spending for it.

by the way... I don't drink, never really drank that much, so it wouldn't have bothered me on bit that I couldn't buy booze.

That's all fair enough. I actually don't think any ID should be required to buy anything at a grocery store, but the fact remains that people do get asked for ID to buy goods at a grocery store. That's the point. Trump was correct, but here we are with a media pretending an alternate reality exists in order to attack the President - with quite a few willing fools all too happy to live that alternate reality and jump on the bandwagon.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Yeah. I could tell from the start, it's what you were doing. But I sensed frustration along the line somewhere, so decided to chime in, which I haven't really done in MONTHS.

Still, I didn't even need to read the thread honestly, to know the outcome.

edit on 2-8-2018 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Do shop owners ask for ID when buying groceries? Simple answer is, yes, sometimes.
Ergo, Trump was correct - again, and liberals are wrong - again.

No they don't.
You're lying too.

They ask for id depending on method of payment. Id for payment not for buying groceries.

You are lying and trying to spin a defense and you know it. Same lie as the past 20 pages.

A 10 year old can go buy groceries with no id.

Is that a true statement?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Yeah. They get asked for some goods but not when those goods are groceries.

Keep reaching stretch

And alcohol isnt groceries.

Good stamps allow you to buy groceries.
Wic allows you to buy groceries.

Can you buy alcohol with stamps?

Why the dance man?

You know damn well that alcohol and paint and cold meds are not groceries.

Keep at it though.
Its a tough spin
edit on 2-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If you buy your groceries with a credit card (those points add up!!), and spend over $200, they will ask for picture ID. Fact.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
If you buy your groceries with a credit card (those points add up!!), and spend over $200, they will ask for picture ID. Fact.

For Christ sake
The id is for method of payment.

And UK grocery stores sell lots of things that are not groceries. Are magazines groceries?
Flowers? Grills?

Come on man.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join