It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you need ID to buy groceries?

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Trump's "base" and a quirk of the Electoral College combined to promote him to a level above his competence. He has floundered badly from the outset. Right out of the gate there hasn't been a hurdle that his administration didn't collide with.

He may have a somewhat diminished mental agility at his age, but he isn't stupid. He knows he is not doing well, but he has never done "well". He has always toughed out or brazened out his missteps. He has been ruthless and dishonest all his life, but now I think he just doesn't have the energy or physical and mental resources anymore to play the game. Hence the ID comment and numerous others like it. His shortfalls in mental stamina are made up daily by Sarah Huckabee-Sanders and Rudolph Giuliani.
edit on 2-8-2018 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

People generally say what they mean. That's how language works. When you are the president and addressing the nation you should say what you mean?

Do you agree?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Yet you still *REQUIRE* ID to function as a productive adult in our society.

If someone doesn't have ID, they most likely aren't productive adults. Is that really a person we want casting a vote that decides the future of this country?

I sure don't think so.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Trump said it so many times that it was more than a mis-spoken sentence. I don't think trump should be crucified for it, but he obviously said something silly there.

It is a bit tiring to see you die-hard trump supporters blindly defend everything trump says in person, or on twitter. Although it's revealing to see how the massss can just ignore or minipulate something stupid their president says to keep his "presidential" appearance.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Agree with you.

And I have been saying he isn't stupid but he is an idiot.
It is been chaos since he took office. You're hired you're fired I meant wouldn't not would.

Bigly

And the minions eat that # up.
Maga
Build the wall

He panders to his base and they soak it up.

They're not dumb either. Idiots just like him though. After this thread I am confident in that statement.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Trump said it so many times that it was more than a mis-spoken sentence. I don't think trump should be crucified for it, but he obviously said something silly there.

It is a bit tiring to see you die-hard trump supporters blindly defend everything trump says in person, or on twitter. Although it's revealing to see how the supporters can just ignore or minipulate something stupid their president says to keep his "presidential" appearance.

edit on 2-8-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Yet you still *REQUIRE* ID to function as a productive adult in our society.

If someone doesn't have ID, they most likely aren't productive adults. Is that really a person we want casting a vote that decides the future of this country?

I sure don't think so.

I see what you're saying.
Not really what we are talking about.

Before you run with it only citizens should be allowed to vote. Productivity and intelligence is not a qualifier though. Maybe it should be.

link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

Not at all.

The average city dweller who does not own a car, nor has a drivers license, can purchase groceries with cash or debit card or most times even credit card without showing a Photo ID.

Voter Photo ID laws are designed to reduce urban populations from voting.

What has surprised me, if you have one of the antichrist's chip credit cards, you can use that a lot of places, and there's not even a prompt for a signature at the electronic card insertion thing. Hence, anybody could simply have your card and use it. I suppose, though, those electronic signatures would be hard to authenticate, as so little like your signature they appear, you know, all chicken tracks like, could be anybody scribbling someting similar to the back of the card. And they would take any signature, even the old non-chip cards, a checkout girl once telling me a white man signed Barack Obama. Have you once seen a checkout person check a signature from those stylus keypads? It all seems a security charade, unless somebody can explain how it all can possibly work to those ends, that is, no ID check or signature required, or no ID check and chicken track signature, nobody either checks. Makes sense to me. I once asked a gas pump how it knew it was me. I should save the reply for a thread.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Botched the quote.

link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Groceries mean food. We all know that.

Honestly, from the heart here, I do not think everyone knows that. *I* happen to associate grocery shopping with only food, but as I said above, the Trump supporters want to focus more on the fringe items than the accepted use.

Its a weak argument that could have been avoided if he has just said what he meant.

To which I agree, yet when have you EVER known Trump to say what he means? He hides behind obfuscation and grey space in an effort to later believe that he can refute things.

I get what you are saying but not really accepting it.

To be perfectly honest, that's not possible. To have gotten what I said, means accepting it. (see below) You may not agree, which is completely different.

Yes you need id to pay with a card and to buy cold meds. Needing id for a few items and not needing it for a million others does not equal you need id to buy groceries.

This is what I meant by accepting it because you get what I'm saying. You accept that there are fringe items that can be purchased that they can use to antagonize you with, and you're allowing that to happen.

This thread has showed me his supporters refuse to admit he was wrong and will come up with anything to defend him.

Of course they will, but that's not even really what's at issue here. What IS at issue though, is that he used a completely irrelevant and (statistically, since most people DO associate grocery shopping with the purchase of food only) false equivalence to justify voter ID card necessity instead of making a well thought out justification for it, he used what he believes "his people" could relate to. In fact, if I were currently a Trump supporter, I would be offended.

It took like 19 pages and 1 dude finally admitted he misspoke.

Well, you had to know this would be a hot button issue, ESPECIALLY on here.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

How hard would it have been you think for them just to say yeah, he was wrong about that. Whatever.
Instead 20 pages of some serious deflection.

My favorite is you need an id to have cash and if you have cash and no id you are illegal which means you're a criminal.

I mean #. How far they gonna stretch.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I think age and citizenship should be the only requirements for voting. Starting to remove voting privileges from certain categories of people is the thin edge of a wedge that could produce a totalitarian dictatorship.

In the early part of the 20th century the eugenics movement was already beginning to murder people who were found to be mentally unfit. This happened in Germany before the Nazi period. The eugenicists were happy when Hitler came to power because they could get official approval for what they were doing on the sly.

"Unproductive" people, if layabouts are being referred to, often can't be bothered to vote anyway.
edit on 2-8-2018 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

People generally say what they mean. That's how language works. When you are the president and addressing the nation you should say what you mean?

Do you agree?

Depends on the context..Language also assumes you can understand context. If that weren't the case there would be no such thing as sarcasm, humor, etc.

Do I really have to start listing examples of how people say things they don't really mean literally to get a point across in the context of a conversation?

This is one of the things i hate about politics is when both sides try to latch on to something and completely take it out of context. I've defended lefties who I vehemently disagree with policy wise from those on the right who also have attempted to take words out of context.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

I knew it would be hot button which is why I posted it. Also as an experiment to see how many, how often and how far his supporters would go to defend.

To be fair there are a lot of supporters of him on this site that are not in this thread. That is refreshing to see they didn't all run in to defend.

So some of them get it.

The ones in here though. Not so much.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I think a lot of people still see him as this anti-elite, new-world-order killing, genius who will actually do something about the wide-spread corruption in politics.

I think trump's a lot more simple than that, and that he has no real plan at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think his actions and reckless statements are evidence of that.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Let's agree that some people don't get it lets say I don't. I'm not the only one. Millions of people in the country. Knowing that it's probably best the president just takes caution and says what he means so that as many people as possible understand.

Agree?

And to clarify I used myself as an example but I do get it. He lied. That's a fact.

He could have said what he meant. He didn't.
Another fact.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

I agree.
I don't think he has a plan. I think he wants to do whatever keeps him popular with his base.
Thats it.

He wants to win and he did. He is the biggest winner of all time.
Point made.

I think he is going to throw a lot of # at the wall and some will stick and some will be good.

He is not a monster. Just an idiot.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Scrutinizing

The signature is only useful if a credit card charge ends up in court and lawyers then have to debate if the signature is yours.

I have scribbled the most unintelligible chicken scratch to sign for credit card purchases and never been questioned.

But more to the point...

Credit Cards mostly no longer require signatures at all. Most stores that still do it simply have outdated policies or systems

www.creditcards.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

lol yeah. It's just getting silly. It was simple to me. The man has never shopped for food before. He lived in a f!cking gold apartment for god's sake.

He basically grew up like richi-rich. Why get groceries if you got people to do it for you?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

I think a lot of people still see him as this anti-elite, new-world-order killing, genius who will actually do something about the wide-spread corruption in politics.

I think trump's a lot more simple than that, and that he has no real plan at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think his actions and reckless statements are evidence of that.

To me he's nothing but a Carnival Barker - - dump a bucket of balls on a pool table - - a couple will hit the pockets - - pay attention to which one gets the most attention - - zero in on it - - make a big deal out of it - - feed the followers.

No Plan - - No real thought - - other than Worship Me.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Let's agree that some people don't get it lets say I don't. I'm not the only one. Millions of people in the country. Knowing that it's probably best the president just takes caution and says what he means so that as many people as possible understand.

Agree?

And to clarify I used myself as an example but I do get it. He lied. That's a fact.

He could have said what he meant. He didn't.
Another fact.

Yes, I accept that there are millions of people in this country who aren't very sharp intellectually...

new topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join