It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you need ID to buy groceries?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: NJE777
a reply to: redmage

In Australia you have to have photo ID at all times. Those that don't have it can be arrested.

Please provide me a link to this law.

I can find no evidence that your claim is true. Please show me otherwise.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
If you pay via credit card or debit card without using the PIN, a lot of stores ask to see a photo ID.

That's not what he said.

He said you need a Photo ID to buy groceries.

People do NOT have to present Photo ID to purchase groceries.

Odd that your instincts are to defend empirically false claims as long as they are spoken by Trump.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

a reply to: SummerRain

I am not talking bollocks. It's a fact.

No, in fact you just made it up.

You are NOT required to have a Photo ID at all times in Australia or be arrested.

Fascinating that you chose to mimic Trump with a lie to defend his lie.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

a reply to: SummerRain

I am not talking bollocks. It's a fact.

No, in fact you just made it up.

You are NOT required to have a Photo ID at all times in Australia or be arrested.

Fascinating that you chose to mimic Trump with a lie to defend his lie.

Let him live in his little fantasy

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: ketsuko

And but Obama
22 pages and the deflection is still happening

The point is that allowances can and have been made for some, but won't be made for others.

Look at what happened between James Gunn and Roseanne. The same people who were all over Roseanne for one off-color joke and righteous in the high places for her to have been fired for it are upset over James Gunn's long history of off-color jokes and how Disney fired him for those.

The point in it is that Obama and other presidents in the past have also said equally stupid things, but only now is this a national scandal. Why?

It's not about defending the stupidity or the statement as much as it is the sheer annoyance over how some can say things that others clearly cannot. The double standard is the glaring problem, and when people fight back, you get annoyed over it? Why? Haven't you engaged in your own volume of justifying stupid things to defend "your" guys?

And this is how the Republic falls, not from the outside, but from the inside because we're all busy not letting go.
edit on 2-8-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I am amazed that some people don't have the mental ability to understand context and that he wasn't being literal in the example.

Again, Trump says the sky is blue and folks like the OP want to debate if he lied as they believe the sky is in fact closer to azure or turquoise and therefore, it isn't technically blue in a literal sense so that makes Trump a liar.

22 pages of this nonsense...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Let's do the opposite...

This is like when Bill Clinton claimed he didn't have sexual relations with Monica. Most folks with common sense would say, yes he did have sexual relations understanding the context (you need ID to buy groceries or function in the world).

However, only in liberal lawyer lala land do you get to parse words and ignore context. Bill Clinton logic is well she wasn't really my boo. I mean, sure she gave me some sloppy top, but we don't have a "relationship". I mean I didn't bang her. So I am not lying when I said I didn't have "Sexual relations". (technically, you don't need ID to buy "groceries" assuming you don't consider alcohol, cigs, or certain drugs groceries... also assumes you pay cash and/or store doesn't ask for ID to use a debit/credit card).

Depends on your definition of is....

edit on 2-8-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Ok.
Allowances have been made. Good point.
The point of this thread was to point out this lie and to see how many people come to lie deflect and defend.

Been going on for 22 pages.

People call me out because they say I don't know what trump meant and I assume but I'm the next line they say he meant something else.

It is a big joke.

As I said, maybe it would benefit us all of he told the truth and said what he meant.

Can you accept that?

Instead he said a thing. I think he is lying. Another said he misspoke. Another said he meant when paying with a card.

So really nobody knows for sure. That's his fault too. Say what the # you mean and be honest and there is no issue.

Can you agree with that?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You're still trying to deflect and defend. We are not talking about functioning in the world. We are talking buying groceries.

22 pages in and you are still trying to defend a simple lie or misspell.

Why do you all refuse to admit he either lied which is what I think or at least misspoke?

Instead we deflect to buying spray paint at Costco with a check.

Hahah

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Fact is you are all lying.
You don't need id to purchase groceries.

Certain methods of payment require id
Items like beer and cold medicine require id

You do not need id to buy groceries.

You know it and I know it and you are all lying flat out. You try to twist it by talking about checks and cold meds.

Facts are facts. Trump lied. You all are it up and you all are lying.

Can I offer a little insight as to why you may find yourself frustrated and running in circles? Seeing as how you're on a fact finding mission, you may be up for it.

Anyway, I think the frustration is in how the Trump supporters in this thread are using definitions against you. Equally in how you're ascribing groceries to only meaning food.
Merriam-Webster defines groceries thusly

Definition of grocery
plural groceries
1: groceries plural : the food and supplies sold by a grocer —usually singular in British usage
2: a grocer's store

It's the "and supplies" part that they are using to their benefit and your grief. Regretfully both have a point, if groceries were only limited to food, then only you would be correct in this as there never has been and never will be an ID needed to buy food. As you've mentioned many times, payment method plays a part, but the fringe items (those that aren't typically a part of weekly or bi-weekly grocery shopping runs) are the exception and not the norm, yet it is being used against you.

As with all things Donald Trump, you never truly have a grasp of what his intent was, which they also know...and use that fact to their advantage. Probably what you should have done from the start is clarified your position, by stating that groceries in your world means going out and buying food, and not the incidental occasion when a kid gets sick, and not when you feel like going full-tilt lush and downing a six-pack with your spaghetti-o's.

There's a lot of us out here that understand the delineation that you're trying to make and understand the context, but if you're attempting to elicit some form of reason from unreasonable people? Better you simply give that up and just know that the ATS community does not reflect the broader population.
edit on 2-8-2018 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The problem is not that Trump "lied." He didn't really lie, he just grossly exaggerated (something he is great at), and used a terrible analogy. The problem is that Trump bumbles and fumbles his statements and words, uses ridiculous adjectives to describe situations, or his relationship with leaders of other countries. Trump lies constantly, this is not fiction, it's a fact. He also exaggerates, brags, and because of his terribly thin skin, lashes out at anyone (or any network) that dares question his words or actions.

Which are all terrible qualities for the POTUS.

His happy-as-a-clam followers do not question ANYTHING he says, or ANYTHING he does. Ever (except the rare exception here and there). Which is hilarious (especially on this site), since it used to be all about transparency, question everything, suspect ulterior motive, be cautious with your leaders. Not anymore with Trump! His followers found their hero, and they don't care what he says, what he does, or how he represents the U.S. to other countries. All they care is if he literally reverses everything Obama put into place. Which is.. as Trump would say, Sad!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

I see what you're saying. To be fair that is the 3rd definition of groceries in this thread and they are all different.

Groceries mean food. We all know that.

Its a weak argument that could have been avoided if he has just said what he meant.
I get what you are saying but not really accepting it.

Yes you need id to pay with a card and to buy cold meds. Needing id for a few items and not needing it for a million others does not equal you need id to buy groceries.

This thread has showed me his supporters refuse to admit he was wrong and will come up with anything to defend him.

Coulda just said yeah, he was wrong on that. Might have meant something else but who knows and that would have been it.

Instead it is every possible excuse to justify it.

It took like 19 pages and 1 dude finally admitted he misspoke.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

You know it and I know it and you are all lying flat out. You try to twist it by talking about checks and cold meds.

Can I offer a little insight as to why you may find yourself frustrated and running in circles? Seeing as how you're on a fact finding mission, you may be up for it.

Anyway, I think the frustration is in how the Trump supporters in this thread are using definitions against you. Equally in how you're ascribing groceries to only meaning food.

Definition of grocery
plural groceries
1: groceries plural : the food and supplies sold by a grocer —usually singular in British usage

It's the "and supplies" part that they are using to their benefit and your grief. Regretfully both have a point, if groceries were only limited to food, then only you would be correct in this as there never has been and never will be an ID needed to buy food. As you've mentioned many times, payment method plays a part, but the fringe items (those that aren't typically a part of weekly or bi-weekly grocery shopping runs) are the exception and not the norm, yet it is being used against you.

As with all things Donald Trump, you never truly have a grasp of what his intent was, which they also know...and use that fact to their advantage. Probably what you should have done from the start is clarified your position, by stating that groceries in your world means going out and buying food, and not the incidental occasion when a kid gets sick, and not when you feel like going full-tilt lush and downing a six-pack with your spaghetti-o's.

There's a lot of us out here that understand the delineation that you're trying to make and understand the context, but if you're attempting to elicit some form of reason from unreasonable people? Better you simply give that up and just know that the ATS community does not reflect the broader population.

He is splitting hairs to make it look like Trump lied while ignoring the context and point Trump was trying to make.

Trumps's point was simply that you need an ID to basically function in American society. To claim as Democrats have that requiring an ID to vote disenfranchises people is ludicrous as they don't make the same claims when even mundane things we do in society require some form of identification.

We can argue till the cows come home on the technicality if you need an ID to buy groceries based on how you define groceries or method of payment. However, this isn't the point Trump was making. The example was just a metaphorical example to drive home the point you need ID to do most things in America. It was never meant to be literal.

Tinysickbrain knows this and is just trolling as I refuse to believe he this stupid.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

I'm with you.

I started this thread to post the lie and also because I wanted to see how his supporters defended it instead of just saying yeah he is not correct.

It didn't happen and is still not happening

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And but Obama
22 pages and the deflection is still happening

The point is that allowances can and have been made for some, but won't be made for others.

The point is that allowances were NEVER made for the miss-statements of Obama.

There were 100 page threads here every time Obama even paused while speaking by the same folks deflecting and defending Trumps DAILY stream of outrageous lies and BS.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Then why didn't he say you need an id to function in society?

How how is it you claim to know what he meant?

When I claim to know what he meant I get called on it cause apparently I don't know and am making an assumption.

I do it and I am wrong and dont know but you do it and are correct and do know.

So you really not see what you are doing?

And can you admit it would be best if he just said what he meant?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: alphabetaone

Definition of grocery
plural groceries

To claim as Democrats have that requiring an ID to vote disenfranchises people is ludicrous as they don't make the same claims when even mundane things we do in society require some form of identification.

Not at all.

The average city dweller who does not own a car, nor has a drivers license, can purchase groceries with cash or debit card or most times even credit card without showing a Photo ID.

Voter Photo ID laws are designed to reduce urban populations from voting.

edit on 2-8-2018 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

And this is twilight zone # this grocery technicality.

Thats a deflection too. There is no technicality. Only you all trying to create one cause you must defend him bigly.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Then why didn't he say you need an id to function in society?

How how is it you claim to know what he meant?

When I claim to know what he meant I get called on it cause apparently I don't know and am making an assumption.

I do it and I am wrong and dont know but you do it and are correct and do know.

So you really not see what you are doing?

And can you admit it would be best if he just said what he meant?

Because people with at least two functioning brain cells understand the context of the speech and what point he was making. What are you 3 years old and an adult needs to spell it out for you?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think it's very simple everybody. Trump has never purchased his own groceries. He has been ultra wealthy his entire life and probably has little knowledge of average American life.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join