It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you need ID to buy groceries?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

It certainly is. I bought a water & a candy bar in AutoZone once. Must be a grocery store now, eh?

must be

just like you cant possess cash without an ID

up is down and down is up and trump is the president

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

a reply to: Words

Food & food supplies in my book don't include batteries, but rather spices, herbs, oils. That may be a matter of opinion, considering your source does not specify what is considered food supplies.
The bulk of the definitions available online refer to food only. I offered a well-respected source which is quite blunt.

Regardless, the established argument hinges on food alone. Stop moving goalposts to stave off a bruised ego.

Merriam-Webster is the most prestigious dictionary in the United States.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

and i can go to Aldi and get milk, eggs and a trampoline

its a grocery store

they know this. they have to.
it is not possible they truly believe what they are saying.

it is so easy and simple and right there for all to hear and from page 1 to page 20 we have gone from ID to buy groceries to you are an illegal criminal if you have cash and no ID

#MAGA

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

now its an argument to the validity of the dictionary.
bwuahahahahaah

i wonder when dictionaries are going to be called fake news

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

and i can go to Aldi and get milk, eggs and a trampoline

its a grocery store

they know this. they have to.
it is not possible they truly believe what they are saying.

it is so easy and simple and right there for all to hear and from page 1 to page 20 we have gone from ID to buy groceries to you are an illegal criminal if you have cash and no ID

#MAGA

Quite right. A grocery store is not always exclusively food, but groceries is technically exclusively food. We know this unconsciously even.

Nobody says they're going grocery shopping for the week for just paint, glue, batteries, ammo, canned air, dish soap and butt wipe, do they? Well, maybe the bat guano guy in the shack in the woods, but I don't think he counts as a normal grocery buyer.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Booze is obviously part of groceries and you need ID for that

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
No voter ID? Cool says the Russians. Lets really interfere next election. That should sway opinions

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

You’re right he didn’t specify the method of payment so your argument that he is wrong is invalid.

hhahahahahah

ok alien.

one thing is clear after 18 pages is that there is no talking or debating you guys.
its just not happening.

it is very clear what he said
it is very clear it is a lie

it is very simple

then you guys start muddying # up with your dancing about method of payment and buying spray paint which means he did not lie/is not wrong.

Anyone who assumes that President Trump meant paying by cash is a fool. And if President Trump did in fact mean paying by cash then he is a fool.

Did he specify method of payment or did I miss that part?

So you are speculating and assuming his method of payment and concluding that one doesn’t need an ID to buy groceries.

So as long as we are making speculations and assumptions let’s go ahead and use some good logic. If we are going to speculate his method of payment, taking into account the fact that he said an ID is required for grocery purchases then we should logically assume that he is talking about paying with a check. That would be the only logical assumption.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Here's the deal: If you use a credit card, debit card, EBT card or even write a personal check at any time you may be asked for ID to prove that you are the person listed on the card/check. Cashiers used to do it frequently but these days only do it randomly to save time. While it makes the store lines go much quicker when they don't do it there was much, much less fraud when it was a regular occurrence. It has probably been a really long time since he (Trump) did any of his own shopping so he likely remembers when it was that way. I remember being a cashier and being scolded for not asking for ID frequently enough- though it was long ago. However I have been asked for my ID twice in the past year to prove that it was actually my debit card at a nearby store where there has been a lot of fraud.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

now its an argument to the validity of the dictionary.
bwuahahahahaah

i wonder when dictionaries are going to be called fake news

If you take a read, you'll see it wasn't me arguing the validity of the dictionary. But I suppose the media didn't tell you to read on your own accord.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Logic is lost with them.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The op knows what the president was getting at but likes to play stupid.

Fine example of TAD.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Words
Have you ever shopped at Costco? You need a card with your picture on it to buy groceries.

Costco is a voluntary club membership. I have one. I didn't shop there last month, though, I shopped between Meijer, Family Fare & a mom & pop grocer. NONE of the three asked for my ID to purchase groceries. Not even when I fell short at the mom & pop in leftover cash & had to split the balance between said cash & the debit card.
Therefore, no, I did not have to show my ID to buy groceries in July.
Your argument is not valid and you know it.

originally posted by: butcherguy
Try buying Pedialyte when your child is sick. How about Sudafed and many other products sold at the grocery store.... they make you show an ID.

These are not foodstuffs, bro. Again, booze, tobacco and pharmacy meds aren't FOOD, which is what Trump in no uncertain terms used in his failed example.
One is a controlled medication behind the counter (thanks, meth heads) The other is OTC and I bought it it earlier this year for one of my kids. I didn't need to show ID for it, knock off the blatant bulls# lying. I know of no one who's ever been carded for Pedialyte.

Anyone who assumes that President Trump meant paying by cash is a fool. And if President Trump did in fact mean paying by cash then he is a fool.

So you are speculating and assuming his method of payment and concluding that one doesn’t need an ID to buy groceries.

So as long as we are making speculations and assumptions let’s go ahead and use some good logic. If we are going to speculate his method of payment, taking into account the fact that he said an ID is required for grocery purchases then we should logically assume that he is talking about paying with a check. That would be the only logical assumption.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
showing id was common in all stores 20 years ago. They wouldnt even let you use credit cards without id. In Trumps defence id be willing to bet he hasn't been in a store in decades and has had personal shoppers. And i know he doesn't go grocery shopping his chief would take care of that. There is a reason he likes living in Trump tower you do not have to worry about day to day things. He simply calls down to desk and tels them what he wants and they arrange it.

This does show you however how out of touch he is with normal Americans.
edit on 8/1/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
People will be demanding voter ID cards if it comes out that Russia paid illegal immigrants to vote a certain way. It makes no sense to not plug up the holes that allow voter fraud. If someone steals the OP s credit card and buys a bunch of stuff, I'll bet he would be pissed that the store didn't check the thief's id to ensure the names matched.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

it just makes me curious
misspeak?

Lack of teleprompter.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Have you ever shopped at Costco? You need a card with your picture on it to buy groceries.

Costco is a voluntary club membership. I have one. I didn't shop there last month, though, I shopped between Meijer, Family Fare & a mom & pop grocer. NONE of the three asked for my ID to purchase groceries. Not even when I fell short at the mom & pop in leftover cash & had to split the balance between said cash & the debit card.

Try buying Pedialyte when your child is sick. How about Sudafed and many other products sold at the grocery store.... they make you show an ID.

These are not foodstuffs, bro. Again, booze, tobacco and pharmacy meds aren't FOOD, which is what Trump in no uncertain terms used in his failed example.
One is a controlled medication behind the counter (thanks, meth heads) The other is OTC and I bought it it earlier this year for one of my kids. I didn't need to show ID for it, knock off the blatant bulls# lying. I know of no one who's ever been carded for Pedialyte.

wouldnt it be awesome if the president spoke clearly and said what he meant for all to understand?

i mean if he had said you need an ID to use your credit card then there would not be a 20 page deflection now would there?

say what you mean
dont lie

very simple concepts

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I was carded for pedialyte.... In Giant, a grocery store.

Ever put dishwashing liquid on your grocery list?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
What he might of meant, is this and never explained it, lets say you buy $125.00 of groceries from Trader Joe's and within your buggy of food is one of these......A Drink
And you look 19/20ish.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

wouldnt it be awesome if the president spoke clearly and said what he meant for all to understand?

i mean if he had said you need an ID to use your credit card then there would not be a 20 page deflection now would there?

say what you mean
dont lie

very simple concepts

I know it’s a really sad day in America when President Trump didn’t stop to ponder the statistics on exactly how many people still use checks or get carded when making purchases. It’s okay, I know it’s a tough situation for you but it will get better, time is a good healer.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join