It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Straw

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Ahabstar

It is like banning nickels by making 10 times the pennies.

Speaking of pennies, it's past time for them to go. They are so annoying.

100 of them equal a dollar.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zoyd23

There are hemp plastics now... maybe that's their angle, I don't know. I promise their angle is not sippy cups though.

Like I said, plastic straws do not process through most plastic recycling equipment which results in a higher priority of need to change our current standards of straw usages.

Look, people that don't want change for the better make way less sense than promoting better waste standards makes. For this very reason... the reality that people only care about shoving the liquid in their face as opposed to what may or may not happen after it's trashed and forgotten brings about the elevated need for a group that does care to mandate standards for what should be thought about as we waste plastics so freely.

To put it simply, if all one cares about is consuming the drink a straw delivers, then I would advise to just clam up about it and use the straw that is mandated when the time is fitting. Because in the end you will use it, trash it, and forget about it... regardless of what it's made from. This would equate to being upset by change, and not being upset by logic.

Don't get upset, there are billions of straw users that don't and won't think twice about it. To stop, whine about it changing in the near future, all while never offering a smidgen of thought to straws at any time prior is really just a rant of which should just be sucked up in stride. See what I did there???

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
had one for 20 years now. figured out that puzzle long ago

I know your puzzle answer, I just don't want to look like I'm sporting a reverse Hitler...

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
What's wrong with going back to bio-degradable, wax coated paper straws?

Those would always get soggy, seal up and tear. Bamboo straws are a better alternative.

Bamboo, I like that idea. Good thinking there. That grows so fast and there are so many different species, we could grow a patch and keep it producing sets of straws each day and the straws could be thrown away anywhere or be rinsed and reused like a glass straw. Bamboo comes up the diameter it will be as a 30 foot matured plant so you could easily grow patches in days that could fill a lot of boxes.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Got myself covered. I keep plastic straws (regular bendy and large smoothie), heavy plastic knifes, forks and spoons, wet wipes and a few sheets of extra absorbent paper towels in a side pocket of my purse. I've eaten out at too many places that give you either no utensils or those wimpy easily broken spork and knife.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Not a lot of recycling actually done these days. The US started selling recyclables to China years ago. We shipped our recyclables to them until they decided they were too dirty for their processors. They haven't accepted shipments of US recyclables for more than a year, and most of the Oregon's recyclables are going straight to landfill. Of course you'll have to dig to uncover this lil' secret....I doubt real recycling will return until after an electromagnetic pulse or some natural event wipes out digital info and we're back to pencils and paper.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

For years now.

I see no reason not to go back to bio-friendly straws made from paper and wax coated.

It's ironic that all this plastic froo-frah began back in the day to save the trees!! Now look at us, were coming full circle. I find it amusing, truth to tell.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
In any case, we are obviously going to have to come up with a plan. And so is China and Thailand. All that tsunami plastic garbage was unreal.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Ah, the video arcade... A fond memory from my youth.

I'd love to see a return to glass containers. Wouldn't hurt my feelings in the slightest.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zoyd23
Not a lot of recycling actually done these days. The US started selling recyclables to China years ago. We shipped our recyclables to them until they decided they were too dirty for their processors. They haven't accepted shipments of US recyclables for more than a year, and most of the Oregon's recyclables are going straight to landfill. Of course you'll have to dig to uncover this lil' secret....I doubt real recycling will return until after an electromagnetic pulse or some natural event wipes out digital info and we're back to pencils and paper.

Ok, I work where I might be able to get some information on that. I will have to call or go see a couple of engineers I know designing the landfills. No promises. They might brush me off I don't do solid waste but I think i can find something out on this. I will make a note now to do that tomorrow and report back.

edit on 31-7-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
In any case, we are obviously going to have to come up with a plan. And so is China and Thailand. All that tsunami plastic garbage was unreal.

That is disgusting looking and cannot be healthy. I am sure some opportunistic plant or animal is living there that might be harmful to the rest of us animal and plant Kingdom members.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I've never used straws of any type - using them makes me swallow air with all the attendant discomfort.

The answer, IMO, is to bring your own containers and utensils and have them filled by the restaurant if you want to take out.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Legislating our way to profits, ya?

Moving towards the new businesses of tomorrow. Problems need solutions, solutions create jobs.

Aardvark Straws

We are a privately held company...

THEY'RE SAFE AND FDA FOOD GRADE COMPLIANT
THEY'RE DURABLE
THEY'RE FRIENDLY TO OUR ENVIRONMENT
THEY'RE 100% MADE IN THE USA
THEY COME IN AN ASSORTMENT OF SIZES TO REPLACE YOUR CURRENT PLASTIC STRAWS

Honestly when it comes to disposable items like straws, cups and bags, I prefer paper. I'm also serious about believing that we should go back to glass containers with refundable deposits.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Can someone help me understand the logic in this?

Plastic is filling our planet and kills thousands of animals a year.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
milkshakes, slurpees, frozen smoothies, adult drinks like daquris, etc, all need a straw, unless:

1) You actually desire to tilt the glass up and get a face full of frozen whatever.

2) You wait for it to thaw out completely to a liquid then quaff it down (then what was the point of serving it frozen?).

Use spoons? hmmm....well, I guess one could use wooden ones.

As for the sippy cup thing with Starbucks: yah - idiots.

I'm with you. I prefer to drink with a straw. If I have to bring my own I will. The adult sippy lid from Starbucks is so stupid. You will have to wait till your drink is mostly melted to drink it. Using a straw helps to keep the liquid from touching your teeth. I have sensitive teeth so a straw is a huge help. Less sugar contact or acidic contact is better for your teeth. Less cavities, enamel erosion and staining.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It's ironic that all this plastic froo-frah began back in the day to save the trees!!

Dang those " Liberal Tree-Hugging Hippies" .
Destroyed the world trying to save trees.
Wait.
NVM
I was one
Our intentions were good...

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The best paper straws were Pixy Stix.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

By way of example, I have a skin issue that flares up from time to time. It's somewhat similar to psoriasis but I haven't gotten an official diagnosis. But anyways, the skin around my lips/mouth gets extremely inflamed, dry, tight and chapped. It's like chapped lips on crack. Smiling, laughing, eating, drinking, talking...all of these actions cause my lips to rip open in half a dozen places. So when this condition flares up, I must use a straw and go on a liquid diet. I'm a grown man and sometimes I must use straws unless I want to go get tubed at the hospital.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
The best paper straws were Pixy Stix.

I was considering what you were saying until you mentioned this. Mine always got mushy long before I was done with the fancy sugar inside.

If that's all the better paper straws will hold up, then I say nay. There's no point in a straw if it immediately collapses on you, and when I have a 32oz tea on the road meant to last me a long drive, I need my straw to last, not mush up right away.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
They sell aluminum and stainless steel straws and they even come with a cleaning brush and silicone tips.

Pack of six for ten bucks.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join