It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Straw

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Glass with refundable deposits. It's like a savings account for a future case of Beer water.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Ahabstar

Plastic water bottles will/should be next. When I see a giant wave of garbage washing up (in pictures) soooo much of it looks like plastic water bottles.

I recycle mine.

What are we supposed to bottle our water with exactly? I don’t recycle because the waste management company believes I should pay them for the privilege.

Just hire one of those African women that carry water bottles on their heads.... On a more serious note, I'm not sure how the human race survived without plastic or mobile phones for that matter, I bet that we could curb the population issues by eliminating those 2 things...

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Grow a damn mustache, enjoy a drink, and then ask that question.

I'm sure they had facial hair before drinking straws became universally fashionable.

Man used to use brush his teeth with a chewed stick, bathed once a year, and crapped in pots under their beds which they then tossed out the window into the street below each morning... you're not exactly painting a portrait of a very forward thinking people, dude.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Have you forgotten how far you can blow those old waxed plastic straws out of their wrappers! The kids man, think of the kids. No child should be denied the straw missiles, especially in the movie theater.

Believe me, I'm advocating for holding status quo, plastic straws for all!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: TinySickTears

if i can pose a question too?

why do we need any sort of device? ive been drinking out of glassware for some years now.

Grow a damn mustache, enjoy a drink, and then ask that question.

yup.
had one for 20 years now. figured out that puzzle long ago

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The plastic straw becomes a nuisance to recycling because their small size and shape falls through the cracks of the recycling equipment... literally and figuratively. Paper straw technologies are more advanced than their common use ancestors were about 30-40 years ago, and they hold up very well to liquids.

Using a paper straw adds about 1 cent of cost to productions, but the benefits of using plastic more consciously are much greater than 1 cent per drink in profits made.

The logic behind the anti-plastic straw movement is to put a dent into the minds of those that feel improving waste standards is not logical.

The solution to the plastic straw is a paper straw... not a sippy cup. Where is the link that shows sippy cups are in plans?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I'm personally OK with the paper straws to be honest.

The plastic is a real problem in the oceans and that means less fish to catch. There is that. Save the fish.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I'm sure eventually someone will perfect the biodegradable straw, similar to the biodegradable six-pack ring. I shouldn't think it would be too hard, since unlike a water bottle it only needs to work wet for maybe an hour tops.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Dirty secret, you paid for that deposit upfront with the purchase of the beverage. The refund was just that, a refund of the deposit. But as a kid, I collected a whole lot of bottles for pocket money. A bunch of us did it as a group to buy candy. And did we ever buy candy. And a when a bit older, pizza, burgers, video games at the arcade, etc.

Canvas book bags with the straps strung or tied to the handlebars of our bikes scouring the town for discarded bottles. Then fold up the bags and stuff them in hip pocket so we didn’t look like girls with a front basket. Thirty some odd years later and I still have that 10 foot length of rope I found one day. It was used for tying down so many things it just became a part of me. And resides in my desk drawer, ready for its next adventure.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Prior to plastics, most "disposable" items in US were made form hemp...everything from straws and cups to disposable plates. Very bio-degradable and very sustainable. Then came reefer madness, and although pot is legal in many states today, the insanity over the devil weed continues. By the way, replacing plastic straws is a joke--the biggest problem with plastics are the clam shells that are used more and more in grocery stores, fast food, takeouts---the plastic use for clam shells will be around for 10,000 years and they are upping their use of clam shells while disparaging the poor plastic straw. Wish we had journalists who would write about this stuff instead of blowing propaganda out there backsides 24/7.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Starbucks and their new lids are best described as sippy cup lids.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

We funded our summer scout camp with bottles. All the parents and neighbors would keep them for us and four times a year we would fill up the back of a pickup with them. Great fundraising tool!

It would bring back the local bottling plants also I imagine.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

It is like banning nickels by making 10 times the pennies.

Speaking of pennies, it's past time for them to go. They are so annoying.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Okay, I understand the desire to reduce and one day eliminate single use plastics. And I understand that a solution to the straw is to design an adult version of a sippy cup. But why is it that to eliminate one single use plastic (a straw) they are going for answers that use more single use plastics than the straw does.

Can someone help me understand the logic in this?

Yes. It's nothing more than smoke and mirrors to make you *think* something is being done, when in fact, it isn't. WHY they need the planet raped is past my understanding... they have nowhere to go, either.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I don't know why we would oops, wouldn't bring back glass bottles.

(It's a joke, okay?)

edit on 7/31/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Single use plastic bags have been banned in my state for a couple of years now. Working on styrofoam containers but the takeout restaurants are fighting that.

I have mixed feelings on this, they aren't doing that everywhere but it is coming.

The use of more plastic to replace it seems wrong until you consider that those lids will more likely make it to a landfill or to recycling but the straws not so much of a chance.The straws we had as children were paper and that could be done again for those that just have to use one for medical reasons.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Why do so many people hate hospital patients?

Sick and injured people are just Snip out of luck eh.

Considering green movement and recycling.

People shouldn't be snipping at all.

Adult sippy cups?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
milkshakes, slurpees, frozen smoothies, adult drinks like daquris, etc, all need a straw, unless:

1) You actually desire to tilt the glass up and get a face full of frozen whatever.

2) You wait for it to thaw out completely to a liquid then quaff it down (then what was the point of serving it frozen?).

Use spoons? hmmm....well, I guess one could use wooden ones.

As for the sippy cup thing with Starbucks: yah - idiots.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
What's wrong with going back to bio-degradable, wax coated paper straws?

Those would always get soggy, seal up and tear. Bamboo straws are a better alternative.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Save the fish.

...shoot a comm fisher. LOL (I kid, I kid... but not on this one, I'm pretty much dead serious.)

Plastic is a problem, but banning straws to fight ocean pollution seems about as effective as outlawing squirt pistols to save water. Straws aren't a frequently found ocean pollutant.

This is purely a case of The tip of the spear Today it's straws and soon plastic bags... in a few years, monofilament fishing line will become taboo... then plastic silverware and eventually kids toys will be made from compressed paper... why? Paper products are less durable and that equals more frequent re-purchases by consumers, which equals money. Legislating our way to profits, ya?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join