It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN finally admits Russia probe won't lead to Trump indictment

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: JBurns

Just 6 short months ago, we still had a litany of Internet postings, pundits and even congressmen & women asserting Trump would be indicted.

On the other hand, a sitting president can be impeached. But that's a political process, not a legal process.

What punishment does "Obstruction of Justice" bring to a U.S. President?

President cannot be tried for any criminal proceedings. So he can't be charged with obstruction. What can happen is he could be impeached from office for misconduct such as obstruction.

Funny people still don't realize Trump was never in danger of prosecution. His only fear was to be caught doing something that would get the senate to vote to impeach him.

He is still technically in danger of indictment, but it has never been done before and Mueller is very, very likely not going to be the first. Super low probability. Absent the POTUS murdering someone and burying them in the Rose Garden, the route is impeachment.

edit on 1-8-2018 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Were it incontrovertible evidence? They'd turn on him in a heartbeat. As they should. Remember, there are more than a few Republicans that don't like him.

If they didn't think their political futures rode on it, they'd have done so already. MHO, of course.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

You go right ahead and defend the flawed polling system and the media behind it going into the 16 election.
Those who do not learn from the past and all...

Brexit couldn't happen
Trump couldn't happen
Now the 16 midterms won't happen for the gop....

You really think the people who voted for trump will stay home?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Godstuff
On top of that Mueller is going to lose his case vs Manafort and quickly... the judge is going to publicly shame Mueller and his team and that will be the end of it all.

A betting man would strongly disagree with you friendo.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Were it incontrovertible evidence? They'd turn on him in a heartbeat. As they should. Remember, there are more than a few Republicans that don't like him.

If they didn't think their political futures rode on it, they'd have done so already. MHO, of course.

Caesar was praised and feared by all until the first Senator slipped the blade in.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Informed Minds certainly didn't need CNN to tell us this did we? As Peter strzok said to Lisa Page, there is no there there.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

You go right ahead and defend the flawed polling system and the media behind it going into the 16 election.

Brexit couldn't happen
Trump couldn't happen

I'm not defending a (potentially) flawed system, I'm just trying to clarify a misunderstanding of statistics. Since there was only 1 election between Hillary and Trump, we don't have a sample size large enough to confirm or deny the accuracy of the polls you reference. Even a 99% prediction that Hillary would win means that (if correct) 1 race out of a hundred Trump would win. That means the odds are still correct when Trump wins.

Now, you are likely correct that there were substantial errors or elements of polling that were not measured/weighted properly, but that's a different argument altogether.

And to answer your final question, absolutely not. I figure Trump's base is every bit as fired up as his opponents, its just that the numbers show the D turnout for his 2016 win was less than expected (which if you figured both sides are fired up now, and only Trump's side was fired up previously, that there will be a shift to the side that's now bringing more voters to the polls than before).

Ultimately its all speculative of course, and either of us may be entirely wrong or right, we'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Perhaps we're conflating our understandings. I'm positing that the Republican Senators will cow to the will of Trump's base, so even if they find Treason or Pee Tapes odious (on top of their disdain for the man), they all still prefer to keep their jobs, and view appeasing his base as the primary way of doing it now.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Exactly!

There's little loyalty at that level of politics. The knives, to use your analogy, are kept razor sharp and the points, well... pointy.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Brexit couldn't happen
Trump couldn't happen

Funny that Russia has been proven to have been involved in both.

I think he lost the Popular vote by a couple million and won the electoral college by 70k votes scattered over 3 states.

I think his Zealots will not stay home, but everyone else who thought he would grow-up in the WH and voted for him instead of Hillary?

It's not Hillary vs. Trump and he won by silly small percentages in the electoral college while losing the popular vote ...when people didn't know he was a lunatic.

We will see, but I think watching protests and taking the temperature? Blue wave seems real.

(post by Godstuff removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Nope. We're in agreement, at least I think we are. Only fear of their base, which in large part seem to support the Donald, has kept many of them from turning on him.

I don't consider the man to be a "Republican", since before the election, he had been a life long democratic supporter...

So I don't think it would take much of a reason, other than that fear of the base, for Congressional Republicans to turn on him en mass.

ETA: I'm a little dense, this afternoon...sorry.

Some of them might, just might, ignore wrong doing to placate their base...but I'm not sure the base is as blind as some of you think they are. Remember, if you're old enough, Nixon won a huge landslide victory, and how soon did the base turn on him? As I recall, and I wasn't very old (ten?), much of the nation had turned on him.
edit on 8/1/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

It wasnt less than expected it was democrats voted 3rd party. Third party candidates did better than normal. So the key with the next election is what these disinfranchised voters do now.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

It's silly.

Manafort is either going to spend the rest of his life behind bars or Trump will Pardon him.

The evidence and documentation is staggering.

My guess is that Trump has covertly promised a pardon.

From there the legal system will have to work out what the pardon covers and doesn't, State vs. Federal charges etc.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

On top of that Mueller is going to lose his case vs Manafort and quickly... the judge is going to publicly shame Mueller and his team and that will be the end of it all.

You sound like a brainwashed liberal nazi... I bet you did not vote for Trump. I bet you dont bet a lot or you would be broke.

Stop speaking until you learn to think for yourself. Any rational man seen what this was and where it goes a long long time ago.

Now if you are wrong AGAIN will you stop allowing CNN and other liberal leaders control your thoughts? I hope so... its sad.

The fact that you lash out so vociferously from a benign comment speaks volumes.....

I'll bet you are such a fractured individual that you won't even back up that false bravado.

Tell you what, I'll toxx (close my account here on ATS) if Manafort walks with no convictions, and if he does get convicted of something (you'll toxx and get your pathetic self off these forums).

Deal, or you too much of a worm to put your money were your mouth is?
edit on 31pm18fpmWed, 01 Aug 2018 15:51:09 -0500America/ChicagoWed, 01 Aug 2018 15:51:09 -0500 by Wayfarer because: legal jargon blarg!

edit on 31pm18fpmWed, 01 Aug 2018 15:51:39 -0500America/ChicagoWed, 01 Aug 2018 15:51:39 -0500 by Wayfarer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

You sound like a brainwashed liberal nazi...

Someone who just posted this has no business accusing anyone of being brainwashed

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Had better candidates run in those third parties--yes, I'm talking to you Gary Johnson--they'd have done even better.

(post by Godstuff removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Involved eh?
Interesting choice of words.
So Russia is responsible for the popular vote?

Also while trump lost the popular vote he won the house and Senate. Why would he not do so again?

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You're right OtherSideOfTheCoin, and I know you haven't

We have very different opinions politically, but I've always respected the fact that you base your assertions on evidence (vs. opinions, which we all have!)

I regard you as a capable and intelligent "foe" (debate terms, of course!), and have enjoyed our numerous discussions/debates on the important matters we all face

Sincerely, thank you for the rational and level-headed approach to politics. It is something a lot of us are really missing out on (myself included at times)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join