It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public housing smoking ban in effect nationwide

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

What do overweight people have to do with this thread? last I checked food is not considered a luxury.

Well, most food. And people who were previously gainfully employed and fell on hard times through some trauma and are forced into public housing? Tough tittys

Obviously you've never looked into the ingredients and additives in food manufacturing.

food is not considered a luxury.

Have a look at portion sizes of US plates compared to other western countries

Tough tittys. If you fell on hard times and can no longer afford to provide yourself with a roof over your head than you should have the sense to quit smoking and use that money towards getting yourself out of a hole.

And those that dont smoke and cant get back to work?

What makes you think you have the right to the same standard of living as others or to maintain your standard of living when you cannot afford to?

I didnt realize that the average smoking of say $400 per month could get you into private housing in the US...WOW...must be cheap living there..../sacrcasm

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: crazyeddie68
My question is,how will they enforce this?If a tenant hides it with air freshener and stashes their ash trays,how will the housing landlords know?

You can't hide smoking...

I can immediately tell if someone smokes in a car, hotel room, apartment, etc. No amount of air fresheners and febreeze will cover up that smell.

Hmmm I smoked in a non-smoking hotel room fairly recently. The hotel was supposed to add $200 to the bill if you're caught smoking. They did not. Apparently no one noticed.

So you got away with it... it doesn't mean others can't tell if someone smoked in the room. House cleaning may not have been able to tell, but that doesn't mean the next guest may not have noticed.

I've literally spent like a thousand nights in hotels. I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke. I can pick up someone smoking down the hall from my room.

If someone wants to smoke, I don't really care provided it is in your own personal space. When you don't own a place, you have to abide by the rules of the owner.

I wanted a dog when we rented an apartment. Landlord wouldn't let us have a dog. His apartment, his rules. So we bought our own place and got a dog. Really that simple.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

AS long as they follow the rules whats your real problem? Read my other posts, I said they should follow the rules.

Again benefits are for the people that qualify.

They are not guests. Its like saying anyone who uses free emergency medical care is a guest that conditions should be put on.

Insurers are pushing to get peoples medical history database so they can charge extra or deny benefits.Pretty soon you will get the totalitarian utopia you advocate

edit on 31-7-2018 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Dont waste your time, he got away with it.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
originally posted by: [post=23633506]TheConstruKctionofLight

What do overweight people have to do with this thread? last I checked food is not considered a luxury.

Well, most food. And people who were previously gainfully employed and fell on hard times through some trauma and are forced into public housing? Tough tittys

Obviously you've never looked into the ingredients and additives in food manufacturing.

Once again this thread is in regards to smoking and subsidized housing. Nothing to do with fat people. Or GMO's

food is not considered a luxury.

Have a look at portion sizes of US plates compared to other western countries

Well, we're not talking about other countries are we were talking about the US. And we're not talking about food. Stay on topic.

Tough tittys. If you fell on hard times and can no longer afford to provide yourself with a roof over your head than you should have the sense to quit smoking and use that money towards getting yourself out of a hole.

And those that dont smoke and cant get back to work?
Then even tougher titties and work on getting your skill set up to find work. Nobody owes you a living.

What makes you think you have the right to the same standard of living as others or to maintain your standard of living when you cannot afford to?

I didnt realize that the average smoking of say $400 per month could get you into private housing in the US...WOW...must be cheap living there..../sacrcasm

Depending on where you live yeah it can be cheap. I know studio apartments in Phoenix for $500 per month. SO quit smoking and cut back on expenses and it could be yours!

edit on 31-7-2018 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yeah, so in a simpleton mind, that means smoking isn't a big deal and no one will notice because he got away with it...

Don't even know I why I try...

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Yeah, so in a simpleton mind, that means smoking isn't a big deal and no one will notice because he got away with it...

Don't even know I why I try...

I wasn't implying no one would notice and it was ok because I got away with it. I was more pointing out not 'everyone' will. I left the building to smoke most of the time I was there. It was only drunk on the last night. when it was pissing outside I didn't go I was actually surprised no one noticed. I was really expecting to see that extra $200 charge.

And honestly if the government wants to ban smoking inside public housing as the 'landlords' they can. The 25 feet thing is fairly stupid though. I just don't think it'll stop people and seems more like something they want to have handy as an excuse to kick people out when they want.
edit on 31/7/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The way I understand it is you get 3 warnings and a 4th infraction gets you evicted.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I say do the math.

In Michigan a pack is almost $8. So at minimum? Even 1/2 pack a day x 30 days a month times 12 months?

Over $1400 a yr for 1/2 pk, or $2,800 for a whole pk?

Public housing because of low, limited or no income?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: Bluntone22All to often I see food stamps and WIC coupons being used at walmart and a separate transaction follows with beer and smoked being purchased.

SO??? You realize a lot of our military members are on WIC and EBT, right? I say they deserve a drink and a smoke of they so please.

Thank you for rasing this point! A lot of military families are getting assistance from these programs, and that is on top of free healthcare and housing which can be multiplied many times for the the ones who pop out a # ton a kids between deployments.

This point combined with the fact that by the article itself over 500,000 of the people in public housing are elderly (likely disabled) makes this law totally unjust and not thought through.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Disenchanted1

Boo fricken who.
Dont like the house rules?
Buy your own house.

All to often I see food stamps and WIC coupons being used at walmart and a separate transaction follows with beer and smoked being purchased.
Umm! Walmart does not sell Tobbacco FYI!

Of course walmart sells tobacco products. Are you delerious?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: Bluntone22All to often I see food stamps and WIC coupons being used at walmart and a separate transaction follows with beer and smoked being purchased.

SO??? You realize a lot of our military members are on WIC and EBT, right? I say they deserve a drink and a smoke of they so please.

Yeah, that 300 lbs lady with 3 kids and her scumbag boyfriend are not in the military.

There are 43 million Americans on foodstamps.
There are 1.3 million active military personnel.
Are they all on welfare?
Just stop already.

Umm yeah, I am sure a lot of them are on welfare and depending how you look at it one could argue they absolutely ALL are on welfare because like most of us their base pay is garbage. Only difference is government has to pretend to care about healthcare for them and their families otherwise we wouldnt even have an Army cuz hardly anyone would join otherwise.

300 lb women and scumbag boyfriends are also not exclusive to civillians by a longshot.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm sure the homeboys will give up their blunts and cigarillos once the government tells them to. We know how law abiding most of those tenants are, especially about reporting income and family size to get qualified for benefits.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

We can buy beer on sundays now.

Well, that is good at least! I guess the conservatards in your county finally got word back from Jesus that beer on Sunday doesn't mean hell afterall!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Disenchanted1

wallmart does in fact carry tobacco its higher priced then local stores but at the one near me(montana) i can get loose tobacco,pipe tobacco and cigarettes and even those little cigar thingies that every one pretends to smoke but uses for other purposes. i get most of my tobacco from the rez though to avoid taxes

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

The government cash cow. This is just the numbers for the federal tax. Estimate is around 14 billion this year alone.

an estimated $153 million in repairs and preventable fires.

This is not about money. Those taxes are supposed to be to used to offset the costs incurred due to smokers.

Remember the lawsuits by States. Supposed to go to healthcare for smokers, but instead went into States general funds other than a few pennies they put into ads. Smokers however are not allowed some of the medical services like transplants the taxes were supposed to compensate for.

If they wanted people to quit, they would outlaw cigarettes. They don't.

Ex smoker here.

Link

Nothdurft noted one of the main reasons the government hits smokers so hard with taxes is because it is easier than pushing through blanket tax increases.

“Politicians don’t want constituents and taxpayers to be mad at them so they try to find small percentages of the population to go after,” he said. ”They put non-users against users, it is very much a divide and conquer approach.”

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Why would there be a black market for a legal product?? It does not criminalize possession or purchase of the product. It simply throws extra no smoking signs everywhere. Considering how effective no weapons signs are, I would say somebody is getting a contract to produce thousands of signs for HUD and nothing more.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
They are already talking about banning smoking from apartment buildings that are privately-owned. You can't smoke with kids in your own car. What's next?

This is dog training--plain and simple. You are an idiot if you think the G actually cares about your health.

Where I grew up, my parents owned a top floor apartment. Our downstairs neighbours smoked heavily. The smell would rise up through the building. There's also the danger of someone falling asleep and setting themselves on fire as well as their property and neighbouring residences.

It's bad enough with people putting cookers on and forgetting to turn them off. Modern electronic cookers have an automatic shutoff timer - you can't just turn the cooker on, and leave it on, you have to set how long something is to remain on for.

I've also had been forced to sleep in a smokers room of a hotel. The room had awful reeky stale smell to it, but it was the only one available.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

They are already talking about banning smoking from apartment buildings that are privately-owned. You can't smoke with kids in your own car. What's next?

This is dog training--plain and simple. You are an idiot if you think the G actually cares about your health.

I've also had been forced to sleep in a smokers room of a hotel. The room had awful reeky stale smell to it, but it was the only one available.

Someone forced you to sleep in a hotel room? Nonsense. It was your own free choice.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

originally posted by: stormcell

Someone forced you to sleep in a hotel room? Nonsense. It was your own free choice.

Not if there are no other rooms available and you can't easily pack up and find a different hotel. I've had this happen to me back in the day when hotels still had smoking rooms and I traveled for business a lot.

Both my parents smoked, but I developed a severe sensitivity to it. Someone walking in front of me on a sidewalk smoking with a 10mph wind still causes my nose to start running.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join