It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions announces new 'Religious Liberty Task Force' at Department of Justice

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Yea, the same people in an uproar in this thread over protecting Christianity would totally go ballistic if someone mocked or made fun of Islam!

Islam is just as dopey as any other organized religion.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ahhh, now it makes sense.
You hate all religion.
Nuff said.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
Ahhh, now it makes sense.
You hate all religion.
Nuff said.

Yup, it's a scourge that's killed more people over our history then just about anything else.

Ever gonna answer the questions? They aren't that tough. I suspect you wont since obviously nothing about your personal religion has been impacted.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Let me be as clear as possible for those who are religious and confused at opposition on this.

I was (forcibly) raised Christian. I empathize, respect, and understand the ideology.

I am also beyond grateful I live in America where I get to believe what I want.

I left more due to the dogma and people using translated text literally to push agenda.

I do not want people making religious policy. No religion is perfect, and whether it be malicious or not, people use religion to rally supporters on issues. Not cool.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
I left more due to the dogma and people using translated text literally to push agenda.

Same. The hypocrisy and ignorance was stultifying.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

This is not about the government setting any kind of religious policy. This is what seems to be confusing people.

This is about letting people be free to live their life with religion, or without if they wish, without other people persecuting them or discriminating for their choice.

People who choose not to have a religious belief should not be forcing other people to change, or criticizing others for their beliefs, or trying to stop people from believing. People should be able to pray when they want, and bring a bible to school to read on their own if they choose, etc., etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

This is about letting people be free to live their life with religion, or without if they wish, without other people persecuting them or discriminating for their choice.

Who was being persecuted at the local/state level where it wasn't being handled that we need an entire Federal 'task force' to be created to get involved.

It's funny how people don't want big government unless they feel it suits or can further their agenda.

edit on 31-7-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I don't trust a government sponsored "Task Force" even the name sounds like some Fascist brown shirt squad.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

The only freedoms I've lost is when the goverment makes move to take more. Think Patriot Act.

Religions have nothing to worry about right now. You could show me a few isolated cases, and I could do the same for any demographic.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

It's funny how people don't want big government unless they feel it suits or can further their agenda.

Precisely, I consistently, on an issue by issue basis question government when it comes to rights.

I am beholden and loyal to no group. I want individual freedom back, not group think. That s### gets weaponized.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Same. The hypocrisy and ignorance was stultifying.

If followed spiritually, it is a beautiful belief. Religion mucks it all up though.

I still have people who I'm very close to and respect as much as anybody from many different creeds. We see eye to eye and don't think we're above one another. I believe what I believe, and vice versa. Same goes for any ideology that I differ with someone on.

I know the same goes for you, I've read your posts for years.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Once again...
This task force is NOT about the government having more power.
This is about making sure that the government stays out of inhibiting or putting regulations on people that violate their freedom of religion.

The government should not be able to force people to purchase health insurance that covers things against a person's religion.
The government should not be able to grill people nominated for government positions about their religious beliefs.
The government should not prevent a school from being accredited just because they teach religion.
Government should not prevent people from praying in public meetings if they choose.
Government should not allow public schools to fire a coach for praying before a game.
Government should not forbid students from praying in public schools if they choose to do so.
A city government should not forbid building a mosque or synagogue or Hindu temple.

More and more the government was regulating to discriminate against religion.
This task force is intended to stop this.

edit on 7/31/18 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Once again...
This task force is NOT about the government having more power.

You truly cannot be that naïve. When is the last time we created more government of any type and it subsequently didn't get larger, more inefficient and more dangerous?

Wow.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Try to follow.
The government WAS getting too big and making laws that violated freedom of religion. ObamaCare regulations were the most obvious.
This is to STOP that.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

if i remember correct, the baker did not refuse to sell them a cake. he refused to decorate in a manner against his religious belief.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Which baker? Because the baker whose case went to the supreme court didn't even get around to discussing cake designs, so your recollection is incorrect.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

ObamaCare regulations were the most obvious.

Which regulations? Can you list any ACA regulations that violated religious freedom, besides that mandatory requirement that even the most basic of policies include contraception. Because that one was litigated out during Obama's presidency, and there's no need for Session's task force against birth control any more.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Try to follow.
The government WAS getting too big and making laws that violated freedom of religion. ObamaCare regulations were the most obvious.

You try to follow. Didn't those go to that thing called the 'Supreme Court'? Yes or no?

This is to STOP that.

Whether you like it or not Obamacare passed and became law, a 'task force' led by Crazy Uncle Jeffy can't undo that only Congress can. Learn how our government functions before you ask to make more of it.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What makes people think this won't turn into another "farce" of a sub department. A sub department or department that so many are asking to end now as they are? Just because it facades to be in your favor doesn't mean it will be.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
CriticalStinker...........

If I could give you a million stars for this I would!

"1st amendment. We all know this means that no one gets favored over another. We all get equal rights. I don't care if Sessions intent is only to "protect people of faith", so long as it doesn't make any laws or policies that are influenced by religion. The government doesn't need to act as a church and tell me what to do based of an ancient book."

Government, politicians and laws should not be created based on religious beliefs. As a public servant you need to take into consideration not everyone shares your religious beliefs. Or is even religious at all. You were "hired" to represent everyone, not just yourself and your beliefs. If you can't separate yourself from your religion/beliefs and properly do your job, then perhaps you have no business representing "the people". So please stay the hell out of my life, house and body with your religious beliefs. I don't dictate how you live and you don't dictate how I live. We are all equal and should show equal respect to each other. I don't need you or an ancient book that's been transcribed and rewritten numerous times to tell me how too live and be a good person. You should already know and want to do that all on your own. I don't understand why we keep going round and round with this. Its a waste of time, energy and money.
edit on 7/31/2018 by ZenTam because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/31/2018 by ZenTam because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join