It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions announces new 'Religious Liberty Task Force' at Department of Justice

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

If you look back at previous posts, you will see that Sessions clearly said that freedom of religion will be protected for ALL religions

Of course he said that. What? You think he'd be stupid enough to admit the true agenda behind this task force? That it's just a force to appease the evangelical voter base? I'm sure Sessions is well aware of the consequences if he were to admit to such a thing.

I just love it how we're supposed to take his word for it. Sessions, part of the government establishment. We're supposed to take his work Blue? A rather large contrast in attitude compared to the previous administrations.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

There are many, many ways that religion, mostly Christian, have been persecuted in recent years.

Religious Hostility in America: The Shocking Statistics

In the past three years, incidents of religious persecution in America have gone up 76 percent, a new report has found.

“The recent spike in government-driven religious hostility is sadly not surprising, especially considering the Obama administration’s antagonism toward biblical Christianity,” Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council (FRC), said in a statement June 29 about his organization’s new findings.]

The report examines the “hostility to religion” in America.
The report lists 69 cases since 2014 in which Americans’ religious freedoms were violated.
“First Liberty Institute’s report shatters the myth that the Left is on the side of tolerance by documenting countless examples of progressives using the power of government to target people of faith for hostility and exclusion because of their beliefs,” Severino said of that previous study.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: FredT

If you look back at previous posts, you will see that Sessions clearly said that freedom of religion will be protected for ALL religions, including Muslim. He specifically includes examples.

He does. As has been pointed out earlier in this very thread - those protections already exist

Would you please explain how this is new? What purpose does it serve?
edit on 7/31/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Notice how religious liberty is repurposed, and redefined (without evidence), as a buzzword for bigotry.
edit on 31|7|18 by Words because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Wait for the holidays at least you'll see private lawn manger scenes get taken down by force or even city ordinances, even cancelled plays.

If MAGA hats and signs are triggers, then abortion adverts should also be considered hateful rhetoric.

Some Christian institutions face pressure to conform to secularist ideology—or else. Flagship evangelical schools like Gordon College in Massachusetts and Kings College in New York have had their accreditation questioned. Some secularists argue that Christian schools don’t deserve accreditation, period. Activists have targeted home-schooling for being a Christian thing; atheist Richard Dawkins and others have even called it tantamount to child abuse. Student groups like InterVarsity have been kicked off campuses. Christian charities, including adoption agencies, Catholic hospitals and crisis pregnancy centers have become objects of attack.

time.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Poor persecuted Christians being forced to give marriage licenses to gay couples, make cakes and supply flowers for gay weddings.

Most recently, religious based crisis pregnancy centers have been legally allowed to lie and deceive their clients, in the name of religious rights. Doctors in some states are allowed to lie to their pregnant patients to protect their religious right to obstruct a woman's rights to know about hers and the health of her fetus and what her options are.

Poor persecuted Christians!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Youre right, a lot like the Gun debate; Prosecute with existing laws, why add redundancy?

Its to spotlight the discussion in a way to prove it to a blind MSM

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Words

Notice how religious liberty is repurposed, and redefined (without evidence), as a buzzword for bigotry.

Never noticed that. In fact I defend them most of the time until they try and put themselves in a position to enact policy based off of their beliefs.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Never noticed that. In fact I defend them most of the time until they try and put themselves in a position to enact policy based off of their beliefs.

Here's planned parenthood's tweet on the subject:

Let's be real about this "Religious Liberty Task Force." What the administration — which also adopted a Muslim ban — desires isn’t “religious liberty.” It's another license to discriminate against women, LGBTQ people, immigrants, communities of color, and so many more.

twitter.com...

From the DNC:

“By creating this task force, Sessions is establishing a unit dedicated to undermining LGBTQ rights and giving anti-LGBTQ far-right extremists like task force head Jesse Panuccio a taxpayer-funded platform to push their anti-equality agenda. Rather than ensuring every person has equal protections and opportunities, Sessions is shamefully doubling down on bigotry.

www.democrats.org...

It's in this very thread, and all of it without evidence.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Yea, the same people in an uproar in this thread over protecting Christianity would totally go ballistic if someone mocked or made fun of Islam!

Just ask Lauren Southern who was banned from the EU for holding up a sign that said, "Allah was gay."! But Christians?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Reminder:
This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Words

No one said anything against religion in those two tweets.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

No one said anything against religion in those two tweets.

I'll reiterate my last point, because I never said that they said "anything against religion". I explicitly wrote "Notice how religious liberty is repurposed, and redefined (without evidence), as a buzzword for bigotry".

To explain further, my point was to outline how some critics of the task force put "religious liberty" in quotes, implying that there is nothing about religious liberty in this task force, and it is all some nefarious cover for discrimination. This is implied without any evidence to back it up.
edit on 31|7|18 by Words because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is nothing less than installing Theocracy, to go along with the Oligarchy they've already created.

Do you think they give a damn about the rights nonreligious people? They should all burn in hell.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Honestly I think they were implying Session's and the Trump admin is using this to give themselves power against non religious groups.

Not that religion is itself bigoted.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Honestly I think they were implying Session's and the Trump admin is using this to give themselves power against non religious groups.

Not that religion is itself bigoted.

Again, I never said they were talking about religion. To explain what I was getting at even further, they are claiming the administration is using "religious liberty" as a cover for bigotry. I cannot explain what I said any more clearer than that.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Listen. I'm an independent, I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm not saying this just because it's something the Trump administration did.

That said, I don't see this as a good thing. I don't think they'll use it for good.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

There are many, many ways that religion, mostly Christian, have been persecuted in recent years.

The report lists 69 cases since 2014 in which Americans’ religious freedoms were violated.

Holy s***!!!!!! 64 whole cases in the past 4 years? That's like 16 a year. Wow! I had no idea it was that bad.

I would love to see what this clown's definition of 'religious persecution' is, probably someone thinking the Easter Bunny wasn't Christian.

You ever gonna answer my question on how has your religious way of life been changed? What can't you do anymore that Jeffy is going to fix for you?

edit on 31-7-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but at least he is not a religious nutter

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Do you have any idea what American is, and why we exist?

Yeah, America is NOT a government-sanctioned, taxpayer-funded religious 'task force'.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Wait for the holidays at least you'll see private lawn manger scenes get taken down by force or even city ordinances...

Sure. Call me when it happens or provide a link.

And don't be a bozo and cite someone who lives in a HOA where they don't allow any type of lawn ornamentation.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join