It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions announces new 'Religious Liberty Task Force' at Department of Justice

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Priorities folks. Your tax payer money in action.

The US Department of Justice has created a “religious liberty task force” to help implement the Trump administration’s new religious guidance.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions warned that the country had become "less hospitable to people of faith” as he announced its formation at a Justice Department Religious Liberty Summit.

He added that it would help Justice Department officials uphold new religious liberty guidance in the cases they bring, the arguments they make in court and the policies they adopt.

Source

Is this just more appeasement for the evangelical voting base? Or maybe the Administration has spotted some grievous injustices committed against Christians in the country? There's little evidence pointing to concerns faced specifically by Muslim or Jewish, or other religions outside of that of Christianity in this task force. Sessions himself made mention of Obama-era laws requiring employers to include contraception coverage in their healthcare benefits. Sessions also highlighted the “plight” of Jack Phillips, a conservative Christian baker who refused to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding because of his religious beliefs. These issues are, in the eyes of Sessions and many others, preventing people from practicing their religion.

Considering the United States has the largest Christian population in the world at 240 million and about 62% of Americans advise they are members of a church or congregation, it's hard to see why such a group, whom make the majority would require a task force to protect it's beliefs? 43 out of 45 presidents to serve this land, including the current, Trump, are self proclaimed Christians. 88% of the current 111th Congress are of Christian denomination. The Vice President himself, Pence, known to be a staunch evangelical. Not to mention the countless Christian centric laws passed by various States over the years.... I fail to see where there is a necessity for a task force to 'protect' Christians?

edit on 31-7-2018 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
What ever happened to separation of church and state?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

of all the things he hasnt done...this, is his signature effort.
He's an idiot.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939

Yea, I'm not too thrilled on this one. I'd say hopefully the Supreme Court will at least keep this at bay but... I don't have too much hope on that anymore.

So long as they realize religious rights stop where my rights begin.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I've talked to many people on topics such as this and from what I have learned about the mindset people seem to have, the best way I can describe this sort of issue is that it is part of the new "southern strategy".

The Republican's religious credentials, as well as Trump's, are not up to par for certain sections of the Right Wing and things like this are part of an overall effort to appeal to a much broader base of the Right Wing, not just the pro-Trump extremists, and help solidify support.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

This is just going to give the Trump fanatics more fuel to claim that this administration was sent by God to free us from the deep state and the Muslims.

The comments in this thread should be interesting. If Obama did this people would be screaming a Muslim Brotherhood coup.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Southern Guardian- didn't the gay couple pass buy between 5-10 Muslim owned bakers who would have refused the gays service because of their Muslim believes? There are a lot of videos showing Muslims not wanted to bake a gay wedding cake.
Why not attack Muslims for doing the same thing Christians do? Is it because Christians aren't your favorite group of people? Is it because holding Muslims up to your standards would be Islamophobic?

@WarPig1939 - Most people, and I believe your comment included, when someone talks about separation of "church and state", are really saying: They want the state to supersede the church. If you are ok with the state coming in and saying that, Muhammad has to go against his Muslims teaching and bake a wedding cake for two gay people. then do you really believe in the separation of the church and state?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

A lame attempt to stop the blue wave. Try to appeal to the "other" republicans.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Where is that statement located in our constitution?
Or other law on the books?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

See Amendment I.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: introvert

A lame attempt to stop the blue wave. Try to appeal to the "other" republicans.

Oh please. Anytime there is a "blue or red" wave dumb s*** happens.

I love when people think fighting extremism with extremism some how benefits anyone.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This whole thing makes me very inquisitive.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

See Amendment I.

Better read that one again.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I am very much in favor of Constitutional religious freedom, which means that all have the right to pursue their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) as they see fit.

I am very much against using religious belief in attempt to sidestep the equal protection of the laws (as guaranteed to all Americans in the Fourteenth Amendment.).

When one supports the Constitution, these items become trivial.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Gryphon66

See Amendment I.

Better read that one again.

No need.

The government doesn't establish or restrict religion.

How much more clear does a separation have to be in your mind?

edit on 31-7-2018 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This whole thing makes me very inquisitive.

Clearly this is to appease the democrats by making the Muslims feel more at home by entrenching religion into our gov't.

Next up he will create a task force to round up women and the gays to properly demonstrate public lynchings for thinking they have a voice.

Its amazing Trump gives the democrats exactly what they want and they still complain.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Where is that statement located in our constitution?
Or other law on the books?

Thomas Jefferson said that was the intent of the first amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

1st amendment.

We all know this means that no one gets favored over another.

We all get equal rights.

I don't care if Sessions intent is only to "protect people of faith", so long as it doesn't make any laws or policies that are influenced by religion.

The government doesn't need to act as a church and tell me what to do based of an ancient book.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ehehehe. You have Spanish roots as well?

Que dices, amigo?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I'm all for the rounding up of women, as long as it'd dealer's choice on my part.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

1st amendment.

We all know this means that no one gets favored over another.

We all get equal rights.

I don't care if Sessions intent is only to "protect people of faith", so long as it doesn't make any laws or policies that are influenced by religion.

The government doesn't need to act as a church and tell me what to do based of an ancient book.

^^^^
THIS

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join