It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a fixed telescope to my roof

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Looking for a fixed telescope to my roof, waterproof and wifi controlled so I can control it with computer inside and record footage directly.
Do not need to be something powerful and expensive, just something with the zoom and clarity of a good digital camera.

And I have the storage on my PC to keep it running in HD 24 hours

Any suggestions.. ?

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm in no way judging you, but it seems that you haven't quite thought this through enough.

Leaving a telescope out unprotected in the elements on a permanent basis is asking for trouble.

How do you plan on mounting it? The slightest bit of wind and movement will destroy your shots, and in my experience it tends to be a bit windier up on roofs.

From your diagram I can't tell exactly what kind of setup you have in mind, if you're thinking of the fisheye-lens type deal, while not technically a telescope, that would make sense to me, and they can catch some great imagery.

Not a cheap example, just the first one I pulled;

diffractionlimited.com...

I'm an amateur with this kind of thing, so I'm just spitballing here,

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
No suggestions but if you're serious about that you might as well take out a big loan or something and spend whatever is necessary to do it right. "Cheap" telescopes are not really cheap (if they're any good) and certainly right now anything that has "wifi" in the feature list is going to go for a premium. All of the telescopes I've ever seen with integrated electronics were at least $1,000 (US).

If you want to put it on your roof and leave it there you're going to have problems that only money will solve. Like moisture and condensation and UV damage and birds nesting and/or pooping. It's one of those things that sounds relatively simple but actually isn't.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

$2,495.00 wohh

But looks nice..
Wind will not be a issue, I will just strap it directly to the roof.. bird poop can be cleaned off easy.
As long it is waterproof and got wifi or ethernet cable connected to my pc for control.

I like this ..

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What are you looking for. Might help us with the tech answers. Infra red, etc.

Something like this?

www.trailcampro.com...
edit on 30-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Skyshed

www.skyshedpodcheckout.com...

Telescope on roof?

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You are going to need power and data to whatever you buy and there in becomes your first problem.

You're going to need to run waterproof power and data, its doable with steel trunking but thats not really a job for the average person but the average sparkie who's used to industrial will probably be good enough.

Access to the roof when a bird decides to cover the lens with poop so you'll need the correct cleaning stuff as mr sod and his law will make sure you are u there 3+ times a day.

Check out if the scope is even rated for long term external usage and maybe some extra plastic wrap and ties will solve that problem.

Now I aint yet even got really into the IT side of it of getting everything to record and suddenly recording 24*7 will require a lot of space and it depends of the scopes software to do compression as raw video eats diskspace like f----.

Have you considered how you will store all this data long term?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

I think basically, you can take a telescope and mount a camera on it. But like someone mentioned, you don't want that camera outside, exposed.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Not a good idea and very limiting at the same time.

Cheap way half decent DSLR a tracker mount on a sturdy tripod, portable easy to set up and can be used at other locations.

Wind would always be a problem even if you don't think so also light pollution if you have other houses close by etc

This is a quick example to show a major problem living in a built up area, I live in the middle of a housing estate of about 150 houses in a small town surrounded by some larger towns and within 10 miles of a major city.

This photo below is taken at f4, 20 secs at iso 3200, 18mm focal length. I used the high iso to really show the problem.

Orion in the center, Taurus top right and Sirius bottom left.

Right click on image to get option to view image only.

Yet with a little bit of editing.

That shows it's always better to travel as far from built up areas as possible but if you cant you can still get some pictures done.

edit on 31-7-2018 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Skyshed

www.skyshedpodcheckout.com...

Telescope on roof?

That's super cool. This is the kind of product that needs to be as popular as an iphone. Unfortunately, I guess it wouldn't bring the price down much. The popularity of iphone has done nothing to change the fact that a damn phone costs almost as much as a used car.

top topics

join