It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now The Real Economic War Begins, With America And Europe Allied

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
An eye opening article. I knew we had much more invested in Europe than in Asia but did not know it was this much. With the recent changes there is actually hope that fair trade policies could actually happen. With the US and Europe reforming the entire system.

www.zerohedge.com...

The US and EU account for over 50% of global GDP and have the world’s largest bilateral trade relationship, exchanging $1.1trln of goods and services annually; there’s no more integrated economic relationship on earth. One-third of world trade involves the US and EU - the US is humanity’s #1 customer, accounting for 18% of all imports, the EU is #2 at 15%.

Total US investment in the EU is 3x higher than its investment in all of Asia. EU investment in the US is 8x higher than its investment in India and China combined. The US and EU have 880mm people (12% of total population), $180trln of wealth (65% of global wealth) and own nearly all of humanity’s intellectual property.

To be sure, we have our differences, but heaven help this planet’s divided nations if we set those aside and seek material advantage.

“Mr. President, ladies and gentlemen, when I was invited by the President to the White House, I had one intention: I had the intention to make a deal today,” announced Jean-Claude Juncker, camera’s clicking, a media whir, history in the making. “And we made a deal today,” continued the President of the European Commission, as a shockwave circled the planet.

And so now the real economic war begins, with America and Europe allied.

edit on 29-7-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm impressed, would like to see where this ends up.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yes, it will be interesting to see how this goes especially with so many American conservatives eagerly rooting for the distruction of the European Union.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Yes, it will be interesting to see how this goes especially with so many American conservatives eagerly rooting for the distruction of the European Union.
Quit being foolish, so salty at American success?

Success is shared between all who seek a better deal.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123I don't understand why you call that observation foolish. I follow international relations day in and day out here at ATS and was of the firm impression that the majority of conservatives here were very anti EU and any relationship with them. Was I wrong in this observation?

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Jean-Claude Juncker........It wasn't that long ago the US was so anti french; they called french fries, freedom fries.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

Quit being foolish, so salty at American success?

Success is shared between all who seek a better deal.

hes being salty by saying 'it'll be interesting...'

defense team assembled*

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

a reply to: Arnie123I don't understand why you call that observation foolish. I follow international relations day in and day out here at ATS and was of the firm impression that the majority of conservatives here were very anti EU and any relationship with them. Was I wrong in this observation?

I've noticed it, it's not possible to ignore it. We have seen conservatives here on this site calling for the destruction of the European Union and at the same time praising the new friendship with little Kim... It's very bizarre.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Is trump now backing down from his insults to our European allies?

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Zerohedge is an alt-right site with a conspiratorial lean.

It's important to know that reading articles from them.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Is trump now backing down from his insults to our European allies?

www.independent.co.uk...

Looks like trade deal is going well:

www.theguardian.com...

“We agree today, first of all, to work together toward zero tariffs, zero, non-tariff barriers, and zero subsidies on non-auto industrial goods,” Trump told reporters.

The statement came after Trump had threatened tariffs on car imports and reports that the EU is planning retaliatory measures.

Trump said the US and EU will set up an executive working group to work on trade and assess existing tariffs “to the betterment of both”. He added: “We’re starting the negotiation right now but we know very much where it’s going.”

Juncker said it his “intention to make a deal” that would work towards zero tariffs on industrial goods.

Trump added: “This was a very big day for free and fair trade, a very big day indeed.”

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Well as far as I can tell this goes nowhere according to the law of diminishing returns. We already thrive on the sweat off the remaining countries backs, so we are only competing with ourselves now.
edit on 30-7-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

edit on 30-7-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

www.forbes.com...

Trade Deal with Europe Squeezes China

President Trump’s top economic adviser on Sunday said that last week’s deal with the European Union to negotiate lower tariffs had achieved the goal of isolating China in its trade dispute with the United States.

Larry Kudlow, director of the National Economic Council, said that European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker surprised Trump by offering to buy large amounts of American soybeans.

“President Juncker, I mean comes right out of the gate saying, ‘We will buy a ton of your soybeans which will help ameliorate the china problem,’” Kudlow said on CBS’ "Face The Nation" Sunday talk show.

Kudlow said the deal to sell Europe soybeans is assured, although Juncker has no power to force European feed companies to buy from the U.S. “We will have an actual transaction, guaranteed,” he said. “Starting out right away with soybeans, beef and liquefied natural gas, which is a huge topic.”

Kudlow said that the breakthrough with the European Union, along with a likely trade deal with Mexico that he expected in the next few days, was putting added pressure on China to also reach a deal. Trump has put tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum and $35 billion worth of products.

“The EU story is moving ahead very rapidly,” Kudlow said, “And I think that by the way put China in a very difficult position. China is I think being isolated. I don’t know if they realize it or not.”

Kudlow said the EU told Trump that the Chinese had asked to do a trade deal, but that the Europeans said no. “The EU said to us ‘we would much rather have the deal with you the United States,’” he said.

www.ip-watch.org...

Trading Partners Led By US, EU, Take China To Task In WTO Forum Over Weak Protection Of IP Rights

Major trading powers led by the United States and European Union took China to task in a World Trade Organization forum today (11 July) over the county’s weak intellectual property rights regime. Dennis Shea, the US ambassador to the WTO, cited “inadequate protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights” among a long list of alleged Chinese unfair trade measures that adversely affect the commercial interests of foreign competitors.

On 10 July, US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer in announcing the initiation of a new batch of punitive measures (10% tariffs on an additional $200 billion of Chinese imports) under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974, said, “for many years, China has pursued abusive trading practices with regard to intellectual property and innovation.”

edit on 30-7-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I've noticed it, it's not possible to ignore it. We have seen conservatives here on this site calling for the destruction of the European Union and at the same time praising the new friendship with little Kim... It's very bizarre.

Correct. We would probably stand better to negotiate with each country individually. Why would we want to negotiate trade without the deck stacked as heavily in our favor as possible?

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: Annee

www.ip-watch.org...

Trading Partners Led By US, EU, Take China To Task In WTO Forum Over Weak Protection Of IP Rights

Major trading powers led by the United States and European Union took China to task in a World Trade Organization forum today (11 July) over the county’s weak intellectual property rights regime. Dennis Shea, the US ambassador to the WTO, cited “inadequate protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights” among a long list of alleged Chinese unfair trade measures that adversely affect the commercial interests of foreign competitors.

On 10 July, US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer in announcing the initiation of a new batch of punitive measures (10% tariffs on an additional $200 billion of Chinese imports) under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974, said, “for many years, China has pursued abusive trading practices with regard to intellectual property and innovation.”

Thank you

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Just threw in the Forbes article... even better info.

China will soon be talking about intellectual property rights for sure.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: Annee

Just threw in the Forbes article... even better info.

China will soon be talking about intellectual property rights for sure.

Time will tell.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

"With the recent changes there is actually hope that fair trade policies could actually happen. With the US and Europe reforming the entire system."

"Reform" can mean anything to anyone. What does the US and Europe mean when they use the word "reform?"

Sounds like making the fox the guard of the hen house, considering their record to date.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Countries don't have economic wars with each other. Banks have economic wars against countries who don't tow the line.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join