It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Bruiser...4" Hail!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Wow...we just got some serious hail. 4" diameter stuff! I ran out in the yard and grabbed (5) pieces of it and stuck it in the freezer (for insurance reasons). Holy Mackerel!!

I saw the front coming and it looked yellow (weird). The wife asked if I thought we should put the cars in the garage and I said "no". Thought it would be okay. I was wrong! Next thing I know huge hail started hitting the roof. Sounded like bowling balls falling from the sky! (that was the small stuff). We dashed out and put the two newer cars in the garage (leaving my sweetheart truck outside). Then the really big stuff started coming down. Sounded like mortar shells hitting the roof.

Let up a little bit and ran outside to grab a few just in case there's any serious damage when it's light out tomorrow.

Boy, the cows came in pretty quick on that one!! LOL!!! Even the slow ones were runnin' at track speed!

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
BTW...LOOK OUT NW Kansas and SW Nebraska!!

There'll be some twisters in this line up for sure!!

edit on 7/29/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Last Thursday was big hail day for some of us in southern CO. We were lucky it wasn't 4" but golf ball/marble size was bad enough, it piled up like snow. We could hear it coming, pretty scary stuff.

Did a little damage but we're ok. Some folks are having a tough time. The rains are wreaking havoc on the Spring Creek burn scar. Roads are washing bad, mud/boulders/debris keep closing the hwy near us. One minute we're running from wildfire, the next it's flood/mudslide.

It's open range here, no barns for cattle, huddling under trees is all they can do. There's a guy here who walks bent over/can't stand up straight. As a kid he and his brother got caught out in a bad hailstorm. He laid on top of his little bro and took an awful beating.

Right now the wind's screaming, doppler's warning of possible tornadoes, damaging winds, hail just east of us. They're forecasting more of the same for the next week/if not the whole month of August. Better batten down the hatches.

Hope you all come through it no worse for the wear. Stay safe.
edit on 7-30-2018 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Dangerous stuff, hail that size. The biggest I've ever seen was only about the size of those funky glass marbles.

This footage was recorded in July this year in Russia, one can't help but feel really bad for the guy while watching it.

It's a few minutes long, but it's worth a watch, the state of his car at the end (or what's left of it) is pretty astounding,

To Flyingclaydisk and everyone else affected, good luck and stay safe,

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The summer after i graduated high school we had a macroburst hit our small town (Coahoma, TX). It brought with it hail that was softball sized. The hail hit the fender on our old 77 Lincoln Continental and sheered the steel where it dented. They estimated wind speeds in the 140mph range, with several trees uprooted and roofs blown off.

The neighbor had a cow that was beaten to death, not a bone left unbroken. We had hail coming through the roof (brand new roof, brand new 3/4" decking) and bouncing in our floor. We all covered up under mattresses so we didn't get hit in the head.

All our windshields were draped over our steer wheels. Any exposed vehicle had holes beaten into the steel. There were no leaves on any trees, stray animals were laying dead in the roads.

Since we were in the roofing business, it was a banner year financially. But it was a hair raising night, for sure.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I hope you came through this okay.

Did you get the rattlesnakes cleared out of the tornado shelter?

Sounds like this is going to be an active tornado season for you mid-west folks.

-dex

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I remember a thunderstorm about two years ago we had. It was pretty normal where we were at. Wind, a little hail lots of rain. When it was over I went outside and looked around. I looked to the north and seen that weird yellow color. I called the wife out and pointed it out to her and said that didn't look good. And sure enough, a town north of us got hit hard by a tornado.
I have been through the weird yellow color more than once in my life. Been lucky so far. I hope everything works out for you. Best wishes.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
We made it through okay (I think). My truck got a big ol' divot in the hood, right on the crease in the hood. Broke the windshield, but it was already cracked so no biggie there.

Fortunately the big hail was few and far between, about every 20 feet. Couple of the cows got whacked, and were a bit sore today so we're keeping an eye on them. None of the babies fortunately, they're old enough where they can run pretty dang fast, and they headed toward shelter in short order. Had one of them been hit last night, we'd have probably lost that animal.

That was some BIG hail!!

top topics

join