It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reee is always bigger in Texas

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Leave it as Austin but just say it's named after Stone Cold.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, I just disagree with you when you called it an empty gesture, and I disagree with others who talk about erasing history. I think actively erasing history, such as burning books or editing people out of photographs like Stalin did, those things are different from renaming a city. Personally I don't want to rename Austin though, to be honest.

When it comes to Einstein, it definitely doesn't erase his discoveries, or anything else he has done. I don't even mind that he wrote those things. He has the right to an opinion. I guess he didn't even campaign against Asians or anything, just wrote it in his diary? I' don't know if that is the case. But yeah, it was a different time as well. I wouldn't a problem celebrating Einstein, and not Austin either, although I don't know much about him.

I kind of agree that it is a reaction to our discomfort over the past. Maybe it's true that people, especially liberals I guess, have become too naive. They are trying to fix the world completely, but that can be harmful and dangerous, if you try too hard to fix an imperfect world. Like trying to run a brand new video game on an old computer, maybe. Well, that could also tie in with what you said about holding people of the past to modern standards, ha. But this is what I think about immigration too; ideally the right thing to do would be to take in anyone who is looking for a better life, but in a flawed reality is not actually the best solution. Also, transgender issues; if a man wants to become a woman, for example, I think that's really cool. But I still don't think it makes sense to let people self-identify their gender for passports and such. And even if a doctor assigns them as female, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying they were born as a man.

I went off on a bit of a tangent there, just wanted to explain my stance in general.

You could also argue that Austin would never have succeeded in his other pursuits if he started trying to abolish slavery somehow. Which he couldn't do, because then he'd have to have been a different person with a different background. I don't mind that he owned slaves. I still don't think it'd be wrong to rename the city, either.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

So basically, you're trying to say that you don't think it's wrong to rename a place in general. OK, I can go with that. But when you set about renaming a place, don't you think it ought to be for more organic reasons than simply, "Oh, this place was named for an old, dead white male who believed in this or that other thing we don't, so REEEEEE! because by our modern standards he would be racist .,," which is basically why these people are crusading.

It ought to be more like this town was named White Mountain, and then one day, they discovered the hard way that the white mountain was actually a volcano and when they all came back to rebuild, there was no more white mountain. So, they named the new town something else like Broken Plain or Stuart's Folly or something like that.

Because, as we can see, social standards of right and wrong and what is perceived as normal change on a whim over the course of very few generations and might not be a good reason to simply change everything.
edit on 30-7-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ive heard everythings bigger in Texas even that!

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

If I have to, I can go back through my old threads, but I called this about the time the statues were offending the snowflakes.

NC has many cities names after civil war people. And to be sure this gets it's proper placeholder, they will likely go after historical monuments and sites next. (wait for it, some toolbag will be along in a bit to tell you "nobody is renaming cities....."

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt

I think lack of censorship is what would allow for a new name.

Pretty sure you can't change the past, Mr. Austin will be in the history books, and the museums.
Also the past has already been whitewashed, by naming a town after someone who wasn't really a fan of certain people.
Maybe remove the whitewash and repaint..
I'm sure they can retain their zip-code.

historically, people in the past were much more racists by today's standards. Sure, not many owned slaves, as only the rich folks could afford them, but people in general looked down on Black folks way back then. It was the culture. So to go back and try to erase things that "upset, trigger, anger" you today, because times have changed, just seems really, really, (and for dramatic effect, I'll add a third one in) Really, stupid. IMHO

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I can't help but get the impression that the people who claim to be hurt by the past keep dredging the past up so they can be hurt again. We've gone past it except when these people bring it up again.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Here we have a cherry-picked event (petition) being pushed by the media outlets in order to generate revenue (clicks, shares, papers sold) by riling up the politards and look what's happened...

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt

I think lack of censorship is what would allow for a new name.

Pretty sure you can't change the past, Mr. Austin will be in the history books, and the museums.
Also the past has already been whitewashed, by naming a town after someone who wasn't really a fan of certain people.
Maybe remove the whitewash and repaint..
I'm sure they can retain their zip-code.

My issue with that is Austin's views ran pretty much in order with everyone else's views for that era. The standards being used here seem to be standards that exclude honoring damn near anyone from the past for one reason or another.

Wait a few years until the PundMeToo movement gets their claws in Martin Luther King Jr and starts demanding street renamings and statue removals because the man was a womanizer, sexual harasser, and accused of sexual assaults. Wait until FDR's statues are demanded to be removed because he ordered internment of Japanese citizens during WWII. You can't judge history through a modern lens.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Yup, they're addicted to outrage.

I live in Texas and could care less what they do in Austin; they can rename it if they like. It would probably be appropriate to name it "Selena" after the famous Tejano singer. Take down all the statues and put up new statues of people like........Anthony Bourdain! He seems to be a Progressive Idol. Speaking of Progressive Idols, howabout a statue of Flo from the commercials? Yea, but she's not gay far as we can tell, so best to put up a statue of Ellen Degeneres next to Flo, looking at her longingly.

So very many possibilities.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

" You can't judge history through a modern lens. "

Actually.........you can! And revising History........wasn't that right out of Marx's and Mao's playbook? Going down this road is how you get filler for the Gulag.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Change it to ' McConaughey' and legalize weed and nude bongo playing.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Sublimecraft

"Rocky" is masculine.

Why are you being so aggressive?

It should be renamed, "Happy McRainbow Flower"

How dare you assume that statue's Gender?

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It would be easier to delete the folks in austin than it would be to get texans to accept a name change.

true story

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I have been calling Austin "weird" ever since lived there for a year. It is suitable. Pretty much all of east Texas is weird.

West Texas (west of Eden) is awesome, spent the last decade there.

However, in 100 years, everything going on now, will be erased, remember that!

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

8( You really disappointed me today db.

You're on the wrong side of freedom today.

Come back tomorrow.

The people of Austin have the freedom to choose what they want to call their city. If this hubbub over the name is only superficial virtue signaling, then I doubt that the people would choose to rename it.

However, if enough of them truly feel deep down that they are disturbed by the name, then they should have the freedom to change it.

edit on 31/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered
Then get the hell out of my state, and go back to whatever bubble wrapped, cry closet having, screaming at the sky organizing state you came from.

This is Texas, grow a pair or find another place to be.

I couldn't agree more.

First Austin, then Houston, then Robert Lee... it will never end. A good majority of Texas towns and cities are named after local historical figures. No true born Texas native has a problem with this.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

8( You really disappointed me today db.

You're on the wrong side of freedom today.

Come back tomorrow.

The people of Austin have the freedom to choose what they want to call their city. If this hubbub over the name is only superficial virtue signaling, then I doubt that the people would choose to rename it.

However, if enough of them truly feel deep down that they are disturbed by the name, then they should have the freedom to change it.

Since it is the state capital, i'd say the entire state gets a say.

Or we can move the capital. Shoulda been San Antonio anyway.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati
I have been calling Austin "weird" ever since lived there for a year. It is suitable. Pretty much all of east Texas is weird.

West Texas (west of Eden) is awesome, spent the last decade there.

However, in 100 years, everything going on now, will be erased, remember that!

I hate Eden.

The speed traps there are just complete horsecrap. 7 people I know that travel from hill country to west texas have been pulled over in Eden, including myself. one sued for some race related stuff and won a settlement.

Although i can't pass through without stopping by Venison World for some deer jerky.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join