It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reee is always bigger in Texas

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: seagull

Also why do I remember austin city limits having the capital building in the back ground??

And not just a pic but the actual building.

They do recorded shows and have an outdoor event as well

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm just not into book burning or censorship. Maybe you are.

Not at all And I have been here on ats long enough ..you should know this.

But I am a fan of democracy. If the name gets changed it will be voted on.

Porkchop?

Is this some new slang I am not aware of?

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

Yeah but austin is no where near the capital building.

Maybe I found another ME!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Yeah but austin is no where near the capital building.

Maybe I found another ME!!!

Austin is the capital of Texas, The building is right off congress ave.....
edit on 29-7-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

oh So capital buildings just all look similar I see. I kept thinking it was the one from DC.

I'm dumb. 8(

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

oh So capital buildings just all look similar I see. I kept thinking it was the one from DC.

I'm dumb. 8(

LoL no youre not dumb, but yeah, they all look the same, hell most of them. Honestly until you pointed that out, i started googling.......apparently we dont have much imagination as far as that goes.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Sounds like normal american politics to me.

But I do understand the point your making and agree that it is a problem.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Sounds like normal american politics to me.

But I do understand the point your making and agree that it is a problem.

Yeah, I think we need to remember, as a culture, how to reconcile our past and move on from it without trying to act like it didnt happen.

We are after all, down to a person, the sum of our past, whether it be as a country, or a person. And that makes us who we are, the good and the bad.

The good, lets us remember where we shined, and the bad, reminds us how far weve come.

Its important to remember both make us whole.

cheers mate

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I dunno man, seems like you’re hurtin more than myself.
I just think that people have the right to this kind of freedom. Leftland, Texas would be kinda funny.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

I see a parallel to this and book burning.

*shrug*

I'll be against it.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

I don't know. It's just kind of stupid. It's this idea that you can simply erase the past by destroying statues and changing names.

If we rename a murderer or rapist, would that fix all the bad things they've done in their life? Would that make the victims *feel* better about it all?

This is sort of the same. People think that if they rename Austin, rewrite books, change characters in established fictions to reflect their personal wishes about diversity, etc., that they can *feel* better about the past or somehow atone for past perceived sins and sleights committed by people long dead. It's just stupid.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Brion Oaks, the Chief Equity Officer leading this crusade is
on the Central Texas Diversity Council and the American Heart Association’s Diversity and Inclusion CEO Cabinet.
So you know what he’s really all about.

Just wanted to provide the name of Austin’s FIRST Chief Equity Officer...someone probably invented the position just so this type of whitewashing could move forward.

Heres another article with more input from Brion

Good ol Brion

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly.

Changing the name does nothing save, perhaps, obscure the history that's there. Doesn't change it, just obscures it.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I wonder how much this will cost businesses, government, and the sorts.

Austin has a lot of large businesses that ship across the company. All sorts of breweries, consumable goods, clothing ect. Labels and merchandise alone has got to be a serious dent.

Every business will change their letterheads and stock cards so people are mailing and associating them with the right location.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Should we name a town after a rapist or murderer? Should we erect a monument to a murderer? How about Adam Lanza? Should we erect a monument to Adam Lanza? Why not? He’s famous. We certainly don’t want to forget him, so let’s name a town after him. I have a great idea — let’s re-name Newtown Lanzaville, and erect a monument right in the center of town to Adam. That will make all the parents of the children he shot to death feel so much better.

For the record, I don’t have a strong opinion on whether my hometown of Austin should have it’s name changed. It won’t affect me much either way. But let’s not lose sight of why the discussion comes up. It’s not to forget about or change the past - it’s to keep from glorifying or exalting something that some don’t want glorified or exalted.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Washington owned slaves.

Give me your money and your guilt will be assuaged.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The difference is , we arent naming towns NOW like that.

We dont have Hitler town.

And its not like these men were like that either, the times were different.

As i posted earlier, we need to remember both parts of our past it has made us who we are.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

it’s to keep from glorifying or exalting something that some don’t want glorified or exalted.

What? Who doesnt?

They arent glorifying slavery or anything else, the city was named in remembrance of a man who died at the Alamo fighting for a free Texas, for which they all live now.

Give me a break

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

At least he saw the error of his ways...

Over the course of Washington's life, he gradually changed from a young man who accepted slavery as matter of course, into a person who decided never again to buy or sell another slave and held hopes for the eventual abolition of the institution. Probably the biggest factor in the evolution of these views was the Revolutionary War in which Washington risked his life, his family, a sizable fortune, and a stable future for freedom from England and some idealistic concepts about the rights of man. During the conflict, his views on slavery were radically altered. Within three years of the start of the war, Washington, who was then forty-six years old and had been a slave owner for thirty-five years, confided to a cousin that he longed "every day...more and more to get clear" of the ownership of slaves.7

www.mountvernon.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Don't care.

Give me your cash and you will be free of guilt.

If you have no guilt, then you're just virtue signaling and annoying.

So what is it?

You're annoying or giving me cash?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join