It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reee is always bigger in Texas

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Aweston?
Allstoned?
Awwwston?
Allstunned?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

It's the state capitol. Don't you think everyone else in Texas ought to have a say in that too? Why should just the citizens of Austin get to say something about what the rest of the state has to call their capitol city?

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Since it is the state capital, i'd say the entire state gets a say.

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's the state capitol. Don't you think everyone else in Texas ought to have a say in that too?

OK -- Then let the whole state have the freedom to talk about it and decide.

The point of my post was in reply to DBCowboy's post (to someone else) about supporting the idea of a possible name change as being on the wrong side of freedom. I simply said that letting the people discuss this and make a decision is the right side freedom.

And I don't think it would be "virtue signaling" if they (the majority of the state, as a group) do ultimately decide to change it. Granted, sometimes there is virtue signaling involved in some of these proposals, but for those proposals to go forward and then become enacted by the will of the majority of people, I think that goes past virtue signaling.

edit on 31/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: DBCowboy

It shouldn't have a name on the map, just an image of shootin' iron. People will figure it out.

Like Prince's "Love symbol 25" name. I am not a Texan but I would tell em to go to HELL!

Furry Texan hasn't found this thread yet. I am interested in his opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Free to be disrespectful.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I would hope whatever they decision they make is not out of a desire to be disrespectful, but done in a calculated and thoughtful manner that takes all sides of the argument into consideration. Not a knee-jerk reaction, but a business-like decision.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

I would hope whatever they decision they make is not out of a desire to be disrespectful, but done in a calculated and thoughtful manner that takes all sides of the argument into consideration. Not a knee-jerk reaction, but a business-like decision.

I have no faith in modern leftist SJWs. They feel before they think if they think at all.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

How is it not virtue signaling?

Who is it hurting?

Austin was founded in 1839, please tell me, who has been so wounded since then, by the name of the City that it caused them so much distress they couldnt function?

Austin is one of the most culturally diverse cities in Texas, with one of the largest if not THE largest concentration of more liberal leaning people, who have THRIVED there.

Now all the sudden its a detriment?

Its NOTHING but virtue signaling, a year ago this wasnt even an issue, now all the sudden people just cant go on?

Bullsnip
edit on 31-7-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered
a reply to: kaylaluv

it’s to keep from glorifying or exalting something that some don’t want glorified or exalted.

What? Who doesnt?

They arent glorifying slavery or anything else, the city was named in remembrance of a man who died at the Alamo fighting for a free Texas, for which they all live now.

Give me a break

Oh he didn't die there. In fact he was forced to leave them their surrounded by Gen Santa Anna's forces. the Alamo bought time that helped Texas build an army to stop Santa Anna with Sam Houston leading them.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Was Volvograd and St Petersburg an example of denying history?

Yep, absolutely. They are trying to erase the history of the Czar and remake the glory of Russian when they go back from the Commie names.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Was Volvograd and St Petersburg an example of denying history?

Yep, absolutely. They are trying to erase the history of the Czar and remake the glory of Russian when they go back from the Commie names.

And since they have renamed those cities absolutely everyone has forgotten all about Lenin and Stalin...

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Here's the latest from Texas Monthly about a potential change to Austin's name:

"Why is Changing Austin’s Name a Non-Starter?"

"But the report isn’t actually an effort to rename Austin. “I don’t know anyone who is seriously championing to change the name,” David Green, the city’s media relations manager, told the New York Times. “There are things in our past that we may want to acknowledge and look at, but that doesn’t mean you want to rename a city, especially one named after someone who founded a republic that then became a state.” A change.org petition urging the city to return to its long-ago name of Waterloo has a whopping fifteen signatures at press time—and it was started in February. Austin’s inclusion on the list is neither an effort nor a proposal—just an acknowledgment that, if the city wants a full accounting of every slavery-related asset in its midst, it qualifies."

www.texasmonthly.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I will never understand why some Americans want to be able to wave the flag of a group that was the enemy or memorialize enemy combatants?

The right gets mad if you dare to wave another flag in America but cheer this on...why? If they want this so bad, then any American should be able to wave any flag they want to, regardless if it is an enemy flag or different nation.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: manta78

Thanks for the update!

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If they try to tear down the bronze of Willie on 2nd or the Stevie Ray on the bridge I will see to it that those responsible are pinned to a cedar tree with cork-screws.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join