It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't I find any cases of anaphylaxis after drinking water (H2O) in medical literature?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I read an old short-story about a girl (the title of the story/book was ''Just One Cup of Water could Kill Little Heidi'') who would go into anaphylaxis if she got even a teeny drop of water in her mouth (requiring adrenaline shots to save her life) as her immune system saw H2O molecules as foreign and she was born this way. For example early on in the story she accidentally drank a mouthful of water and almost died.

The story said she once had surgery and was given a drip afterwards, and went into shock because the drip was ''water based'' and she was getting water injected into her veins.

She had to wear a spacesuit like contraption to avoid breathing in the water vapor (H2O molecules) in the air as that could instantly kill her since her immune system saw H2O molecules as foreign if she got any of them inside of her body.

So I Googled ''IgE antibodies against H2O'' or ''anaphylaxis to the H2O molecule being ingested'' and couldn't find anything. Closest thing I could find was skin irritation (called Aquagenic Urticaria), but not an allergy, upon contact with water. Anaphylaxis isn't a symptom of it though and doesn't match the girl's condition in the story.

This story is very popular in my country and several news websites have ran sequels and variations of it, while reporting it as if it were a genuine news story, relying on the testimony of the girl's parents and later the girl herself.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
having fun???

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Probably because that story is not true.

Aren't you the guy that only drinks soda (Which is mostly water) because you think you are allergic to water (Which is in everything)?

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZombieZygote
Probably because that story is not true.

Aren't you the guy that only drinks soda (Which is mostly water) because you think you are allergic to water (Which is in everything)?

It reads exactly like a news story though. www.thefreelibrary.com...

And although 'Aquagenic Urticaria' is mentioned, her symptoms don't match as Aquagenic Urticaria is not an allergy and it's a skin condition. anaphylaxis upon drinking or being injected with water isn't one of the symptoms as you can see here - en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ZombieZygote

LOL

Some people ARE allergic to water! It's a documented fact!

edit on 29-7-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

LOL

www.thefreelibrary.com...

Real or fiction?

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

LOL

Ok. I don't care if we disagree politically, that snip was funny right there. Star for the laughs Sooks.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: WillSawyet

SHE was the girl who touched the hearts of people across the country as she fought a rare life-threatening allergy to water. Now Heidi Falconer has blossomed into a beautiful young woman. Heidi, believed to be the only child in the world born allergic to water, is now approaching her 21st birthday.

www.birminghammail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Yes that is a later iteration of the story but the original story goes into the most detail saying she cannot drink water so she has to survive on milk and OJ

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: WillSawyet
It reads exactly like a news story though. www.thefreelibrary.com...

And although 'Aquagenic Urticaria' is mentioned, her symptoms don't match as Aquagenic Urticaria is not an allergy and it's a skin condition. anaphylaxis upon drinking or being injected with water isn't one of the symptoms as you can see here - en.wikipedia.org...

It can cause anaphylaxis though:

In more severe cases, drinking water can cause you to experience symptoms including:

rash around the mouth
difficulty swallowing
wheezing
difficulty breathing

www.healthline.com...

Keep in mind that when you get an injection or an IV, the skin is pierced, releasing bodily fluids into the surrounding tissue. That opens up the possibility of the IV fluid being injected mingling with those released body fluids and causing a reaction.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

a reply to: underwerks

Yes that is a later iteration of the story but the original story goes into the most detail saying she cannot drink water so she has to survive on milk and OJ

H2O is THE main ingredient in not only milk and OJ but also human cells and the womb..

She's an alium.

edit on 29-7-2018 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

If there's H2O in milk and OJ how come ''Heidi'' isn't dead?

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I love ATS sometimes....

OP,

Water is essential for life.

Nobody has a pure anaphylactic reaction to water.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

So this is a very cleverly disguised piece of fiction?

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Maybe she's possessed.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Ok I read your first thread now.
So 1 in 230,000,000 people do have this condition...
And milk is easier on it than water.
They don't think u are actually allergic to water but water is what causes the allergic response.

According to the BBC that is.
I stand corrected?
And
Confused.

BBC: The woman allergic to water

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

a reply to: Reverbs

If there's H2O in milk and OJ how come ''Heidi'' isn't dead?

Will you please indulge me in answering one personal question? How old are you? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

She had to wear a spacesuit like contraption to avoid breathing in the water vapor (H2O molecules) in the air as that could instantly kill her since her immune system saw H2O molecules as foreign if she got any of them inside of her body.

Sweat is water. How did this suit handle sweat? I'd figure the thing would complicate the whole water allergy issue to incredible lengths, TBH. Not to mention, how did she urinate? Urine is- again- mostly water with some other chemicals from the bodily functions. Then, there's keeping one's eyes moist (saline- water), mucus membranes... bleeding would be hell as well.... Sinus discharges would also complicate the works.

Of interest is the fact milk (acidic) and OJ (also acidic) would neutralize the problem of liquid ingestion. What impurities in water would be neutral in the presence of an acid, then? And how could both lactic and citric acid could dissolve it (them?)?
edit on 29-7-2018 by wylekat because: minor correction

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

From now on don't answer personal questions like your age on the internet please.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join