It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Jr could be charged with perjury over Trump tower meetintg

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: hoss53

If you like your wall, you can keep your wall.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Nah uh uh

Careful, wording is important.

"Knowingly" lying to investigators is a crime.

It's not a crime to be misinformed, or lacking details.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I'm no judicial expert but don't you need to make false statements in a court of law before one can make claims of perjury?

If you lie in the courtroom, that is perjury unless evidence proves otherwise, but anything before that is pure conjecture. I may be wrong but I don't recall Trump Jr lying under oath.

You are mostly correct. But there is a separate law, 18 USC 1001 that criminalizes lying to any federal official who is acting within his or her authority. So, lying to an authorized investigator is a crime, even if the statement is not under oath. Lying to the IRS or TSA is a crime. It is a 5 year felony. Take a look at 18 United States Code 1001.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Three things;

1) Was he under oath in his testimony?
2) Cohen is not a reliable witness
3) Absent a tape (which cohen doesn't have) perjury will not stick

Honestly these investigators should tread lightly. You don't go after a lawyer and pressure him into lying. That's how you end up in jail yourself. In fact, if I were the prosecutor, I would never allow cohen to testify to that, simply because they've already violated his rights. He has a great case for saying he was intimidated into lying (and a ton of incentive to lie for them as revenge). Team mueller has many people with a history of doing these types of things.
edit on 30-7-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Unless someone else attests to this or Cohen produces a recording of the meeting it all comes down to he said/he said.

Cohen is contradicting his own prior testimony before Congress, when he said Trump did not know. As Guiliani said over the weekend, it becomes a game of "Which lie do you choose to believe?" One or the other of Cohen's statements is necessarily a lie.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Maybe it depends on what else happened between his conflicting statements.
Did he receive some kind of payment, or some kind of threat?

I recall his statements about his family coming first. Of course everyone feels this way, but I would think they always came first, even when he made his original statements. What changed? I wonder if threats were made against his family. Threats can take many forms.

We know that Flynn's son was legally threatened, which was a contributing factor in his decision to plead guilty.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy
Lying to the IRS or TSA is a crime. It is a 5 year felony. Take a look at 18 United States Code 1001.

I lie to the TSA every time I go through EWR. They ask, 'How are you?', and I reply, 'I'm good', which is an outright lie because every time I go through TSA screening I'm pretty far from good.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Lying to investigators is a crime.

Lying to investigators is only a crime if:

- they can prove it
- you don't have enough cash to take on the FBI and their ridiculous dirty tricks.

My biggest beef is that cops can lie to you and its legal.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The feds don't have to prove anything. You are guilty until proven innocent. Giuliani will straighten everything out for Jr.

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: F4guy
Lying to the IRS or TSA is a crime. It is a 5 year felony. Take a look at 18 United States Code 1001.

I lie to the TSA every time I go through EWR. They ask, 'How are you?', and I reply, 'I'm good', which is an outright lie because every time I go through TSA screening I'm pretty far from good.

All lies are not crimes. The question must be within the area of the official's jurisdiction. Asking "how you feel" is not a mstter within their jurisdiction" so lie away.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: M5xaz

Clear, criminal activity by Hillary

Then why no indictments from the trump WH. Remember his campaign promise to "lock her up"?

I wonder if you even think about what you say. Mueller investigation? Rome wasn't built in a day, this stuff takes time, hell, look at all the other investigations and how long they took.........Trump jailing Hillary? If he didn't do it in the first week, she must be innocent.

But at least you aren't letting partisan politics cloud your judgement.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: olaru12
Anyone that thinks they don't have phone records is a fool.

I wonder how Jr. will try and spin this....

Probably about as much as the Obama team will have to spin how they were NOT spying on the Trump campaign?

Haha... I really have a hard time finding people who defend Trump without referencing Obama or Hillary... it's crazy.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
May 14, 2019

Donald Trump Jr. testified for more than 20 hours before the Senate Intel Committee in 2018.

Now, jail-bird Michael Cohen has presented evidence that requires Don Jr. to reappear before the committee.

He has agreed to do so in June, but for only a couple of hours.

More at: www.foxnews.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join