It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survisland - The in my opinion first real survival game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Have to leave a thread about this game, it´s great.

Where should i begin? Ok, as a kid i lived 5 minutes away from the forest, we kids spend half of the time there, buidling huts, making fire and grilling food (we brought from home, didn´t hunt, we were too young and weren´t able and it isn´t allowed for everybody in Germany), throwing thorwing knives at self-made targets, shooting arrows with bow, throwing self-made spears, that stuff. And a lot more, including gunpowder and selfmade... let´s forget about that xD

I loved to read survival books and to try the techniques i learned there. Then computers and games came up. And a wonderful game(for that time my PC at that time) called StrandedII. I call it the father of all nowadays and so called survival games. But StrandedII was good for it´s genre. In nowadays "survival" games(mostly early access/alpha tech demos, tbh) one can gather some materials, build a box(hut, shelter, whatever) and has to eat and sometimes drink from time to time.

Games in which you hit a tree three times with a rock or even your bare knuckles, and you get that much wood that it would need ten trees for that amount, in reality. Where you can craft an assault rifle or shotgun after half an hour of playing, to defend from whatever kind of fantasy monsters(or other players) that constantly attack you. While you sit in your castle-like fortress. Build alone, after two ingame hours. In a "survival" game...

I was and i am waiting for Green Hell, Just Us and not so urgent SCUM (boring Zombies again, and sounds like kind of a battle royal game mixed with some survival elements, but better than nothing, has good health aspects and stuff). While i was bored and wanted to play a survival game(the around 15 i bought are not worth to be played and called survival games, like Rust, 7 Days to Die, Stranded Deep, The Forest etc) i found Survisland in the steam shop, for 6,50 Euros. I thought for that price, maybe it helps me while waiting for the other games.

And i am bamboozled. It´s so good, for people like me who love that survival stuff. It´s like playing as Les Stroud in Survivorman, really close. The depth and realism(compared with all those wannabe survival games) of the crafting system is awesome. Find two rocks, there is whatever kind of stone and basalt yet. Basalt is harder, and materials have a quality, the better the quality of the materials, the better the tools. Now take one rock and knap(?), hit it to the other. There you get... it´s too much differen stuff you get and can do, like don´t hit but chissel a stone or formerly from stone crafted tool. Or for example use a selfmade stone knife on all three nodes of a stick and get little, smaller sticks... i leave i video for better understanding:

You can work with coconut palms, banana trees, rocks, dirt(craft a hoe). Your workbench will be a bigger rock ar the stump of a huge palm you cutted down. You will have to eat different kind of foods because of your health, you will have to drink enough, the more energy you burn, the more you need to eat and drink. You need to rest after a while, becasue of your back and you´re getting tired, your stamina goes down.

You need to hide in the shadow if it is to hot. Or craft a hat and other clothes from palm leaves and selfmade ropes(made from fiber on coconut trees). You will eat mussels, cocnuts, bananas. Drink from cocnuts, after you peeled the green skin off and chisseled a hole in them. After drinking you can hit them again and eat the flesh. You can use the cocnut shells as fire material.

Again, it´s too much what this game offers, looking at crafting and buillding too. After i just made the first moves in shelter building and do have to learn a lot. But you can build from leaves, wood, dirt and stones/rocks. The bulding system is different from all the other "survival" games, better. You need three tools to build, one for the foundation, one for supports and one for the surfaces.

It´s better i leave some videos again, since my english isn´t the best and it´s sooo much to show:

It is really very early access, normally an no go after around 15 "survival" disappointments. But i am so glad that i gave it try, just because of the low price. Wild animals and predators will be implemented, fishing, water collecting and reconditioning, different kinds of fire starting( i asked for it and somebody told me that is in work) and i don´t know what else, greater and more biomes(there is a swamp i never found or searched for, i am just trying to survive and to do the Robinson Crusoe... xD), more kinds of food and everything...

And again, it´s for the regulare price(no steam sale, key shop or special offer) of 6,50 Euros. I feel around 15 times betrayed, looking at my wannabe survival games list...

Just wanted the world to know that miracles still happen and finally a survival game first saw the light in 2018, on sale for a not robber-baron-capitalism price.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Thanks..I will.have a look

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I 'm with you. I would love a true survival type of game. I too spend time reading about survival and putting it to practice in the forests near my home.

Stranded Deep is the closest to real survival that I have ever played.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I think what I really want though is a survival simulation and not a game. So it would have true 12 hour days and nights.

If I want a fire I have to rub two sticks together for an hour of real world time.

Water could have parasites in it and give me the runs. lol

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Thanks looks fun add me on steam BoovDawg.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep
Yeah, in the beginning i thought Stranded Deep would become awesome with the time, but it is one of the ea/alphas with the least updates. They even topped 7 Days to Die´s update behaviour. And it was completely senseless when i tried it the last time, because why building a shelter when you have to leave to the next mini island, after you used all stones, ate all coconuts and crabs. And after landsharks ate you several times... xD

It´s a good "standing at the beach and looking at the sea"-simulator, imo xD

And about survival sims, check out Green Hell and Just Us, maybe SCUM too. These games go into the right direction, will be released this year, Green Hell and SCUM even soon, if i remember right.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImBack

Thanks looks fun add me on steam BoovDawg.

Yeah, did that. Little hint, using the name of Mel Gibson in that conspiracy movie...

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I’ll have to try it, I like survival games. I have been playing the long dark, that’s a challenging game.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Ahaa sweet

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
I’ll have to try it, I like survival games. I have been playing the long dark, that’s a challenging game.

Ye i have that, nice comic style art 🎨

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter
Yeah, i know it, but i hate ice, snow and winter, even in games xD
That´s why i never thought about buying it.

(post by sunnyydv27 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join