It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump threatens to “look into” Twitter for shadow banning Republicans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

No, those were pro-trump bots from Russia, remember?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

My take on this is that it's very much a tightrope walk between ensuring the average user is not morally offended by any content on the site, while also trying to ensure that the rules are applied equally, fairly, and with an eye towards reaching the most diverse spectrum of users.

In terms of rules, moderation, and corrective actions, less is more.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: GeechQuestInfo

Twitter censors.

It's only "okay" because they are a private company.

Hmmm to be fair I see a lot of people on here saying private companies should be able to provide service to whom they wish...why there was a fairly heated thread yesterday about this very issue regarding cafeterias where there were a good number of people saying that very thing....yet I see the same people here now applauding government interference into a company's policies... so which is it? Should governments interfere and tell a business what to do or not? Because it seems to change day to day here... depending on the company and the issue at hand and who it affects of course...and I guess the location seems pretty important....
edit on 27/7/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: neo96

No, those were pro-trump bots from Russia, remember?

Mandela effect.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeechQuestInfo

Twitter censors are ideologically biased.

It is not uniform.

If Twitter had one rule for all, "You can't say the F word" then that would be acceptable.

But when Twitter censors Constitutional talk and leaves all others, then it is ideologically based.

Which is still their right, but lets not kid ourselves that they are anything but a left-leaning company pushing a political ideology.

Who is kidding themselves?

They are allowed to be left-leaning and completely censor talk from the right.

People may not like that, and that’s fine as well. But to try to label this as a free speech issue or a discrimination issue is ridiculously stupid.

I personally like freedom, whether I agree or disagree with it. Doesn’t seem very free when an arm of the US government tells a private company what kind of speech they have to allow on their platform. Seems like a complete overreach to me.

Maybe some like bigger government?

Then Twitter should be honest and say what they are.

Other social media sites don't obfuscate.

They come straight out and say that they are biased.

And that is their right.

I was under the impression that Twitter was supposed to be a platform for free speech.

I was wrong.

I’ve never tweeted but where does Twitter pitch itself that they are a platform for free speech?

I’ve never viewed any of the social media sites or forums as places where I can talk however I like. Yes, this site included.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Sure was during the election with all those Pro Clinton bots.

I’m out of the loop and don’t understand.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Unfortunately tribal politics has soiled many members here. If this were President Obama meddling in private businesses, impeachment would be the only thing being discussed here.

I could care less what happens to Twitter, if it's their own making. I don't need a President who gets to decide what businesses should survive and which ones shouldn't. And for those who support what Trump is doing to private businesses, the next time a Democrat is in office, I will allow that President to look into and disparage Trump's businesses.

Fair enough?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

It is not uniform.

If Twitter had one rule for all, "You can't say the F word" then that would be acceptable.

But when Twitter censors Constitutional talk and leaves all others, then it is ideologically based.

Which is still their right, but lets not kid ourselves that they are anything but a left-leaning company pushing a political ideology.

People may not like that, and that’s fine as well. But to try to label this as a free speech issue or a discrimination issue is ridiculously stupid.

I personally like freedom, whether I agree or disagree with it. Doesn’t seem very free when an arm of the US government tells a private company what kind of speech they have to allow on their platform. Seems like a complete overreach to me.

And that is their right.

I was under the impression that Twitter was supposed to be a platform for free speech.

I was wrong.

I’ve never tweeted but where does Twitter pitch itself that they are a platform for free speech?

I’ve never viewed any of the social media sites or forums as places where I can talk however I like. Yes, this site included.

I don't understand...are you promoting the idea of political bias or...what exactly are you saying?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

What's hard to understand twitter, and facebook turning themselves in the lefts version of a white nationalist site?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I think it is funny.

Maybee, they will shadowban Trump. Oh... he would lose it I am sure and go on a fox blitz tirade.

I would be better if they just banned him. I am pretty sure they can if they want and it would be completely legal.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Twitter censors.

It's only "okay" because they are a private company.

Hmmm to be fair I see a lot of people on here saying private companies should be able to provide service to whom they wish...why there was a fairly heated thread yesterday about this very issue regarding cafeterias where there were a good number of people saying that very thing....yet I see the same people here now applauding government interference into a company's policies... so which is it? Should governments interfere and tell a business what to do or not? Because it seems to change day to day here... depending on the company and the issue at hand and who it affects of course...and I guess the location seems pretty important....

I don't think a government, any government should step in and do anything to a private company as long as the company is not infringing upon the rights of others.

If, say Twitter, wants to censor speech other than leftist ideology then they should be free to do so.

It's their business.

Now we do have the issue of "Public Accommodation" which as brought up during the bakery issues.

But I'm no lawyer so I don't know if that applies.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

My language may have been "censored" by ATS on occasion, but never the idea I was trying to convey.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Have to wonder what kind of dumb.clucks are running FB and T.

They actually discriminate against their own customers !!

Unless.........

😨📙

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

It is not uniform.

And that is their right.

I was wrong.

My ideas, my thoughts, my message has never been censored here.

Just some of the words I used to convey the message.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

It is not uniform.

And that is their right.

I was wrong.

I don't understand...are you promoting the idea of political bias or...what exactly are you saying?

I’m saying Twitter can ban you from their platform for whatever they feel like.

You don’t have a right to be on Twitter.

link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I think it is funny.

Maybee, they will shadowban Trump. Oh... he would lose it I am sure and go on a fox blitz tirade.

I would be better if they just banned him.

I've heard that at least half of twitter management wants to ban him and all of twitter management agree that its the end of twitter if they do because he's never been better for business, literally forcing the redesign of the platform to cope with the 'traffic'.

Hows that for a conundrum?

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Are you president Trump?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

It is not uniform.

And that is their right.

I was wrong.

My ideas, my thoughts, my message has never been censored here.

Just some of the words I used to convey the message.

I can’t take personal shots at members. If I feel like you are ____________, and take a shot at you, I can be suspended and have said post deleted. Posts are deleted all the time and warnings are given in almost any heated thread.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

What's hard to understand twitter, and facebook turning themselves in the lefts version of a white nationalist site?

Literally spit water out on this one, thanks man!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Back many moons ago, I cut my teeth on Bolt's forum. They shadowbanned, and didn't hide it.
Then I used to post on this forum called iVillage. The one that was owned by NBCUniversal. Us peon posters were positive they shadowbanned many of the far left & far right women that got too mouthy, they'd go post silent suddenly.

Same thing was suspected on Mothering's forums, those not hippy-dippy enough & having opposed some of the more extreme hippy-dippy s# went quiet suddenly.

It happens, and has for a very long time. I really don't think it's that big of a deal, there's plenty of other places to post online. Tis the nature of the internet -- unless you outright own your corner of it, someone else does and gets to make the rules. Even ATS is capable of, and totally free to, shadowban at will.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join