It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worms frozen in permafrost for up to 42,000 years come back to life

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
They won't survive today's contamination. Thanks Monsanto.
edit on 27-7-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
ive seen this movie....

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing

originally posted by: pteridine
Maybe only partially.

I suppose that would be enough, prove ability, integral to cognition. But, as the French may say, I don't know if it's "la place" for me to say how the Russians should do this, as they may opt to simply ask the worms to comment on the Hegelian Dialectic. But any such a test, demonstration, would not afford the worms a lot of wiggle room.

It is something of a di-lemma. They may well transform into something else but I'm only gaussing. The Russians are smooth operators and won't poisson the worms.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I read several articles about this and find it both incredibly interesting and potentially quite scary and/or extremely important for future research. I think someone already mentioned the cryogenics aspect.

One thing I did want to ask, though, that I couldn't find in any of the articles I read. Is this particular species of worm still extant today, beyond the small number of organisms in the article? I'm curious whether the species was considered extinct before these were found.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

Ancient arctic worms awakening from thousands of years of slumber? I can't see any threat-

I stand corrected.

Nematodes are parasites, and when you put 'undead' before parasites that cannot be good in any way, shape or form.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I hope they re-froze the ones that woke up in the petri dish.
What a bummer to be put in the biohazard trash when they are done with them. Awoken after 40k years, just to be alive long enough to be killed.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   
It's both fascinating and a little scary that something that has been frozen for so long can come back to life. Like others have said, It would be interesting to find out what other stuff is buried and waiting to be found.
The Earth is very old so who knows what discoveries are out there.

I love a good under ice discovery.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   
You do realise the permafrost is melting in Canada and Alaska too don't you so they will be there too presumably.

edit to add:

Interesting article about the dangers of permafrost thawing and there are a few good threads in fragile earth forum from a while back.

link

In August 2016, an outbreak of anthrax in Siberia sickened 72 people and took the life of a 12-year-old boy. Health officials pinpointed the outbreak to an unusual source. Abnormally high temperatures had thawed the corpses of long-dead reindeer and other animals. Some of these bodies may have been infected with anthrax, and as Wired explained, the soil in Siberia is normally much too cold to dig deep graves. “The disease from thawing human and animal remains can get into groundwater that people then drink,” Wired reported. Scientists are worried that as more permafrost thaws, especially in Siberia, there may be more outbreaks of long-dormant anthrax as burial grounds thaw.
The fear is that the thawing will encourage greater excavation in the Arctic. Mining and other excavation projects will become more appealing as the region grows warmer. And these projects can put workers into contact with some very, very old bugs.

The threat is tiny. But it exists. The big lesson is that even viruses thought to be eradicated from Earth — like smallpox — may still lurk frozen, somewhere.

“We could actually catch a disease from a Neanderthal’s remains,” Claverie says. “Which is amazing.”

article talks about Doorway to the Underworld so found this link specifically about that - Its a massive sinkhole.

edit on 28-7-2018 by johnb because: sp and extra

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

"The threat is tiny. But it exists." Risk vs reward, mate.

That's why they comparatively referenced excavators interacting with discoveries of neanderthal remains. The same could be argued for the Mammoths, Dinosaurs, etc. There's always this risk. No need to be overdramatic about it & spread FUD because you don't understand that.
edit on 28-7-2018 by JellyBeanBoogers because: Error

edit on 28-7-2018 by JellyBeanBoogers because: edit

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: TheJesuit

OK scientists, do you want super viruses? Because this is how you get super viruses.

All joking aside, I do wonder the possible ramifications from things like this.

It is awesome to see a life awaken like this.

The virus's from the past have already been incorporated into our DNA defenses and the DNA of the virus's on earth. How many story's do we have where a virus escapes from an ancient burial ground? Not any I know of at the moment.

When we get a virus and people or animals have a bad reaction it is because the virus DNA changed.

The ramifications are life will survive no matter the conditions. People want to find ways to do that for humanity and the Biologist are just doing what any good one should and see what they get when they try.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
They woke up.... took a look around..... still a little groggy. One looked over and saw his buddy,
Bill, Bill is that you??
Yea,,, It's me man..... Dude where the heck are we?
I dunno man, last thing I remember we were hitching a ride on the back of that woolly mammoth and then I woke up......here...... Dude, where are we?? and why is everything so bright white and glowing so brightly? is this the afterlife?? are we.... dead?.....do you hear that voice that seems like its coming from above us... is that God?
Dude, I'm sacred, I just wanna go back to sleep now and hope this is all a dream

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
This certainly lends credence to the theory of panspermia.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Words
I agree. The studies of the biology of this recent discovery could lead to breakthroughs applied for our own biology in cryostasis, making possible deep space travel. Imagine a ship that departs Earth in sixty years on a trip to Andromeda. The same crew working on six month interchanging sleep cycles could arrive in Andromeda only a few years older while generations have passed on Earth. Imagine the shock of being able to communicate with your descendants fifteen-fifty generations later while you have barely aged years.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Up Next: Dinosaur cloning

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Wasn't this an episode of X-Files?

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

It is something of a di-lemma. They may well transform into something else but I'm only gaussing. The Russians are smooth operators and won't poisson the worms.

Oh, brother! Got any cheese with that ham? I fear I've been eclipsed, made a veritable eunuch of retort, therefore surrender. Besides, it's not fair to others, to drive the thread into some wormhole. And, after all, we have resolved how to test their cognition, no need to go on some fishing expedition (The chorus of worms chime in, "Hear! Hear!"), which could be construed as trolling. On the other hand, you know what they say about Russian hackers. Maybe we need to think outside the bag (since worms don't come in boxes at Bubba's Lakeside One-Stop). That is, to postulate, could the worms ultimately be identified as frozen computer code?
edit on 28-7-2018 by Scrutinizing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Reminds of the unkillable space-faring Tardigrades that were able to expel water and drop into hibernation to survive the most hostile extremes.

Surviving so long is very impressive indeed. Bet we learn a lot from them. Interesting stuff.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

We´re basically going back in time so the last 11k years of melting brings us to -11k years from the tipping point.

Let´s pretend there would be a virus of concern to us waiting there.., ice melts as fast as it freezed etc... If that thing froze 3k years after the ice started to build up and it grew 100k years until the tipping point was reached, that would give us:

100-(11*2)-3 = 75k years from now without problems. roughly...

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Wasn't the "space amoeba" one of the scarier enemies of Master of Orion?

If scientists had their way, we'd have nuclear-powered dinosaurs with 400 IQ's by now. (Ouch!)
Curiosity does have its downside, y'know? ;-)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join