It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Unpopular is Trump Really??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

As do we all, sadly

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I did, so as a minor point, towards the end, a few polls showed Trump winning. Thats not the crux of your argument.

You are saying that these polls are suddenly a good source of data. They werent.

Most were wrong and way too few were accurate and far too late in the game of "prediction".

I do not support your argument since it takes trumps popularity into account only if its his "un-popularity"

Notoriety and infamy are both popularity. Weigh them as one. Most people have a strong opinion about Trump, or are carefree enough to tolerate him since he isnt a problem in their lives.

Bush was hated and loved by the same 50/50 split. No one will care about Bush half as much as they will for Trump. Same goes for Obama.

We have an actual mover and shaker in power. I hate his mistakes like bombing Syria. I love his wins like improving our economy for all.

That is what big people do. They make you care.

edit on 7 27 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Dude all good points.

I done some background reading around the stats with Trumps unpopularity in the press, one study found 90% of coverage was negative.

Now I would make a few points though in relations to this, regardless of if it is his negative press, his policies or even just his personality that is driving his unpopularity, he is unpopular. I would agree that I think the press plays a very big role in this, I would also point out however that Trumps dealings with the press have been pretty poor so he has to take some of the blame for his negative press. Also some of it is warranted, I don't think it always does, but some of the negative press he gets is in my view either just the press reporting whats been happening or its deserved in some way. For example, his recent meeting with Putin, bit difficult to put a positive spin on that one.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Here's my thing about polls: im 45, and have had a phone number since i was 19. I've never once gotten a call about polling.

So it appears to me that the sampling for polling isn't random.

Thats my only real issue: the polling doesn't seem random, which makes me suspect it skews heavily toward urbanites.

Most pollsters pride themselves on being accurate, its there job to make a accurate prediction and they can't do that if they put a political bias in their samples.

I would also point out that I also linked to right leaning pollsters in the OP and they also show a overall negative view of Trump.

I don't buy that. Any statement that says "most pollsters" is too general for my feel.

I've managed people for years, and have struggled through countless people learning basic statistics under my guidance. The one thing I can generally say is that they all wanted to do a good job (which is why you are patient with people during training....to not kill the exuberance). But because of various and sundry logical errors in the work, that "good job" took awhile to get around to. Not due to bias....but rather ignorance. And it happens to all of us. You think you have painted a clear picture statistically, then see the glaring omission. That is what i am referring to. If pollsters run down lists of people in cities, then they are being ignorant of rural areas. Since half the nation is in rural areas, i'd expect half of all poll calls would land there.

Im not really partisan. Right leaning, left leaning....meh. My viewpoints cut across parties and right into our living rooms. Right now, that "cut" is between rural and urban communities, and the struggle for each to control the direction of the nation. If pollsters aren't calling people in West Texas, then they are missing part of the country. I have talked about this with quite a few people...no one I know has ever been called by a polling group.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
And just to be clear: You aren't really asking about the president at all. You are trying to infer a position of the public.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The thing the op fails to address is the fact the majority of his unpopularity is generated by outside sources. Most people I've talked to can't adequately explain why they dislike him politically. But socially they have plenty to say. Some things I tend to agree with.

But...

He's not there to make you feel good. He's there to fix this ****show we call a nation...

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I guess i should clarify: i deal with numbers all day. Im not interested in the summary of a random group without seeing their data sets and processes for context.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Polls are not an absolute.

I think we we look at several different sources collectively and they all show the same thing they are the best source of information we have to judge the popularity of a leader.

Now note I am talking about popularity and not success, which could be measured in other means so we could look at number of promises kept, jobs, economic impact, number of appointees and so on.

However this thread is the basic, yet complex question of how popular he is viewed by the public and its overwhelmingly a negative view.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
And just to be clear: You aren't really asking about the president at all. You are trying to infer a position of the public.

Take that further under EQUALITY.

No opinion is better than someone elses.

The public gives up their proxy to the president during election cycles.

No matter how they want to spin it.

Polls are meaningless.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Let me ask you this.

Just to simplify things.

Do you believe that the American public have a overall positive view on Trump or a negative view on trump and why?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I was thinking the exact same thing. Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
The thing the op fails to address is the fact the majority of his unpopularity is generated by outside sources. Most people I've talked to can't adequately explain why they dislike him politically. But socially they have plenty to say. Some things I tend to agree with.

But...

He's not there to make you feel good. He's there to fix this ****show we call a nation...

And that is fine, however its anecdotal.

Its not proof in anyway that he is viewed as either popular or unpopular but the public at large, the only really measure of that is the pollsters and when looked at as a collective they all point to a overall negative view of his presidency.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

THE only poll that matters comes on election day.

Next poll that matters is in 2020 when we ALL Get asked.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Kind of both...

I am asking how popular the president is regarded by the public.

To gain an answer that is as objective as possible I have looked at his polling numbers to get a general view of how he is viewed by the public to answer that question.

The data infers that the public have a negative view of him, not me personally.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I don't like him. Don't hate him ether. Don't know the guy personally.

As long as he leaves the aca alone or replaces it with something better I feel meh about him.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Do you believe that the American public have a overall positive view on Trump or a negative view on trump and why?

This is impossible to know without personally going and asking each american.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Trump's favourable rating has INCREASED since the day before he was elected - so if you really want to go by polls, you will concede he is getting more popular than when he won the Presidency. I guess that means if he chooses to run again, he's likely to be smiling out from the Oval Office for another 6 years, whilst some comfort themselves with how 'unpopular' he is as they gnash their teeth in frustration.

edit on 27/7/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Firstly, thanks for putting a bit of effort into your OP and not just presenting/recycling something you've seen online.

Now, as to the topic:

It may well be the case that the numbers you have presented are accurate. Let's say we accept that those conducting the polls and providing the results are totally above board, ethical, fair and objective.

1) people are much more likely to respond to polls/voice their opinion when they are pissed off. And the more pissed off they are the louder and more widespread they are likely to voice it.
You're also prettt unlikely to respond if you're simply not too bothered either way. Like, if you think something is "ok" but don't feel especially strongly then are you really going to take the time to complete a survey or poll about it?

I would always caution against reading too much into any survey that is trying to 'gauge approval' by asking for peoples opinions. I think you're almost always going to get more disgruntled respondents than those that are content or happy.

There are other factors that mean that polls and surveys are not all that reliable a measure but I think it's probably unwise to list them all here.

So... onto point

2) I am actually surprised that his approval is as high as it is! I live in the UK and, despite it having absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH US AT ALL, we have had an almost relentless onslaught of entirely, and intensely, negative coverage of Donald trump.

From election day to the present day there hasn't been a day gone by where there hasn't been some insulting, defamatory or scaremongering news report about Trump in at least one paper, publication or TV show. It's in everything from the 'news' to comedy panel shows, from the high brow to the low. It has been an incessant and impassioned character assassination from day one.

With that in mind I dread to think what it's like living in the USA, at ground zero so to speak.

Despite what most people like to think, propaganda, advertising etc has an ENORMOUS influence on people (in sufficient volume and delivered with sufficient force) so really, it is quite surprising that there's a single person left in the whole of the states that would openly admit to supporting Donald trump after the unprecedented level of coordinated hyperbole and vitriol we've seen over the last two years.

Anyway, I suspect most will say that the only poll that matters is the one where you guys get to put a wee cross in the box every 4 years...

I guess we'll find out how popular he is in a couple of years time...

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

This is impossible to know without personally going and asking each american.

Its impossible to know as an absolute fact, even the election does not ask every American because not everyone is eligible to vote and not everyone bothers to vote.

I am asking for a personal view.

I am asking what the member believes, not what he knows as fact.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It is not overwhelmingly negative. There you go again. That is your personal filter for information.

You are constructing an argument. You are not allowing the data to show you what is true.

You can explain the data and your interpretation though by your own admission, you want to focus on the negative "un" popularity of Trump.

You guys did and do this always. If you are dictating you are not actually listening. Echo chamber talk.

I did campaigning and petition work during the past election. I faced a wall of Trump supporters in Bend Oregon. No one talked to them, so no one knew they were active politically and in Trumps camp.

That is also true in NYC. I can imagine its true in many places.

In my limited experience, Trump had very strong support in many different demographics.

I would say 60/40 split in his favor.
edit on 7 27 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join