It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives back down from effort to force a vote on impeaching Rod Rosenstein

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Conservatives back down from effort to force a vote on impeaching Rod Rosenstein

Well that carrot on a stick didn't last long. As we are aware, this past Wednesday the (anti-)Freedom Caucus introduced Articles of Impeachment against Rod Rosenstein. By Thursday evening the measure was doomed. Well technically it is being tabled to after recess in September, but let's be real here. Only 11 Republicans signed onto this (not even captain witch hunt himself, Trey Gowdy, signed onto this). They were also full of errors like trying to hold Rosenstein responsible for things that happened months before he assumed office. Anyone who saw this as anything more than a desperate partisan stunt was lying to themselves.

On Wednesday night, Freedom Caucus leaders Reps. Mark Meadows (R-NC) and Jim Jordan (R-OH) filed articles of impeachment against Rosenstein. The stated reason was mainly that Rosenstein allegedly wasn’t giving enough documents to Congress. But in context, the move — which wasn’t even certain to pass the House, let alone lead to Rosenstein’s removal from office — was clearly part of an effort by President Trump’s allies to attack the Justice Department and undermine special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, which Rosenstein supervises.

When Meadows filed the impeachment articles, only 11 of the 236 Republicans in the House were willing to sign on to them, making it unclear how much support his effort had. House Oversight Committee Chair Trey Gowdy, for instance, had said earlier that he wouldn’t back the effort (“Impeach him for what?” he asked). GOP leaders were also unenthusiastic about the controversial push, which would likely divide their party.

However, Meadows had the opportunity to use House rules to file a “privileged motion,” which would require a vote from the full House in the next two days — effectively forcing his colleagues to take a stand on impeaching Rosenstein even though there have been no hearings on the matter and little debate about it. Republicans facing tough races in November would not have been thrilled.

In the end, however, Meadows decided not to carry out that threat — for now, at least. He did not file a privileged motion for impeachment, and House Republicans announced Thursday morning that they would not vote on the matter before they leave for a month-long recess.

It is possible the effort could be revived in September when the House returns to Washington. But that would be closer to the midterms, meaning Republicans would be even less enthusiastic to take a divisive and controversial vote.

The current word is that Republican leaders agreed to hold a vote on whether Rosenstein is in contempt of Congress in the first week of September, if conservatives don’t get the documents they want by then. (That’s a weaker alternative to an impeachment vote, which at least had the potential to remove him from office.)

So instead of being impeached, Congress is going to decide if Rosenstein is in contempt of Congress. This basically takes all the teeth out of Meadows' and Jordans' partisan threat AND it extends Rosenstein's deadline to provide whatever documents that are leaving those two unsatisfied. Well that was fun while it lasted.

I wonder what the next carrot on a stick will be.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Of that, I am not sure. Though, I suspect you’ll be right here to force feed it to us when it reveals itself.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Why would I force feed you a carrot on a stick that only serves to distract and weaken the over arching Russian investigation? I'd rather not see these sad attempts to distract from the more important investigation.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The Dems will come up with a fairytale on how Trump and the Russians colluded to steal the election. The left will go crazy and scream impeachment for the next 2 years.

Just a wild guess.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The freedom caucus are disgraceful circus clowns.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Lol how long will it take for Dems to find a breadcrumb of evidence? Didn’t this investigation start over 2yrs ago?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Rosenstein is a Republican.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hmmmm. Didn't I say so?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0tOf coarse they did. There were no grounds for impeachment. trump will be another story though....Cohen said that trump knew about the trump tower meeting. The one that trump called FAKE NEWS. I honestly think, trump should be made to answer for all of the times he has lied, and called stories fake news, on TV, trying to discredit the MSM. Its not right and its not okay!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

Lol how long will it take for Dems to find a breadcrumb of evidence? Didn’t this investigation start over 2yrs ago?

If you want evidence look no further than trumps TWITTER FEED! Also 10 indictments covering 35 people and 3 business. 5 guilty pleas, 2 upcoming criminal trials, and 1 in jail.....

All from this investigation....So I guess that we should not have called Russia out on any of this? We should not have investigated it, right?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

They were also full of errors like trying to hold Rosenstein responsible for things that happened months before he assumed office.

Like Russia tampering with our elections while Obama was in office? That's the most ridiculous part of the whole Russia investigation. Nobody cared about the Russian's trying to meddle in our election process before Trump was elected and Obama himself said it as well. Here is the quote.

“There is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig America’s elections, there’s no evidence that that has happened in the past or that it will happen this time, and so I’d invite Mr. Trump to stop whining and make his case to get votes.”

Well, he got the votes and ever since it has been nonstop whining about Russians meddling in our election process. That is the reason people want Rosenstein out of there because let's face it, this whole Russia investigation is a witch hunt.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Meh, just proving up again what cowards the GOP are.

The US.......if it weren't for bad government, you wouldn't have any government at all!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Of course it was a stunt. This past week has been very bad for trump.
Michael Cohen has proven to be a sizable thorn.
Distractions of all shapes and sizes are needed to deflect from this side show.

edit on 7272018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

How do you know that the SC hasn't found anything?

Are you privy to all the information that muller has?

It took almost 3 years for the watergate investigation to end.

Hillary has been investigated many many times over the years but I guess since they never found anything on her it was all just a witch hunt. Right?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Like Russia tampering with our elections while Obama was in office?

Do you think this was ok?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

If course we it was a stunt. This past week has been very bad for trump.
Distractions of all shapes and sizes are needed to deflect from that side show.I
Isn't he luwwwwwqwqsmmpmh0(
No.
It started one year and three months ago.
I'm not going to let you keep cheating off my paper dude. You'll have to start studying.

The White Water investigation lasted 30 MONTHS...Not once did president Clinton call it fake news or scream at the MSM.....Oh and ONE INDICTMENT in TWO AND A HALF YEARS....

Of coarse that was okay with the GOP, and republicans

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Like Russia tampering with our elections while Obama was in office? That's the most ridiculous part of the whole Russia investigation. Nobody cared about the Russian's trying to meddle in our election process before Trump was elected and Obama himself said it as well. Here is the quote.

No. Not like that at all.

Well, he got the votes and ever since it has been nonstop whining about Russians meddling in our election process. That is the reason people want Rosenstein out of there because let's face it, this whole Russia investigation is a witch hunt.

You can say that thousands of times until your voice is harsh and your fingers fall off from all the typing but it still won't be true. The simple fact that there are people who have been indicted and are going to jail as a result of this investigation is 100% contradictory to what you just said. The only thing up in the air is if Trump is guilty or not of something, and frankly he acts guilty so it's not like suspicions are going to go away any time soon.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

...and if the investigation proves otherwise, are you and other Trump supporters still going to make excuses for this president or finally face the 800 lb gorilla in the room? Trump has done some good things, but overall, he has a lot of skeletons in his closet and has shown time and time again he's not level headed, and has shown glaring incompetency. There comes a time where you have to weigh the good and the bad and realize this president is dangerous for the our country.

We wanted a president that wasn't a politician, so he could clean-up house. Yet unfortunately he turned out to be incompetent, he's been caught in blatant lies, his huge ego gets in the way of domestic and foreign issues, he's hired his own swamp yet turns a blind eye to it, engages in dividing government instead of uniting both parties for the benefit of all Americans, some of his policies don't reflect the values our country was founded on, and what's so glaring about his presidency is he wants to govern like a state controlled dictator instead of a democracy.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Of course it was a stunt. This past week has been very bad for trump.
Distractions of all shapes and sizes are needed to deflect from this side show.

Yeah. Cohen has decided that he isn't going to get the "thrown under the bus" treatment that Trump gives all people who even get a whiff of being bad for Trump's image.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

I think the big difference is that the white water investigation wasn't shouted from the rooftops 24/7 by the MSM. It also didn't call into question the legitimacy of the presidential election.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join