It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly ICE Detention

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

[...]
Romero had been previously diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, according to documents from the Virginia Department of Corrections. His death parallels a case from May 2017, when 27-year-old Jean Jimenez-Joseph, another Stewart detainee with a mental health diagnosis, killed himself at the facility after 19 days in solitary confinement. The United Nations has previously said that such confinements could constitute torture and ICE itself has issued strict directives about isolating detainees, including specifically on segregating people with mental health conditions for extended periods.

For lawyers, advocates, and the families of the dead, the suicides at Stewart represent a pattern of mistreatment at the hands of ICE, leading to widespread concerns about the safety of immigrant detainees, especially at privately run facilities like Stewart. Romero is the third death at the facility since May 2017 — a troubling indication of an overwhelmed mass immigration detention system that is ill-equipped to deal with delicate cases involving medical and mental health issues.

“We very much have a pattern here,” Azadeh Shahshahani, an attorney with Atlanta-based social justice group Project South, said. “I’m not sure what else it would take for the government to shut this place down. How can they defend what is happening at this facility?”
[...]

The Intercept

Incompetence or fascist torture (and murder) by design, what's your take on this?
How can they defend what's happening here?

Have at it!
edit on 27-7-2018 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Should have put those illegals in zipties as soon as they were caught and immediately returned across the border to the nearest Mexican border checkpoint. Those illegals shouldn't be held more than a day, ICE shouldn't be responsible for care of these people just deporting them.

If ICE is ill-equipped to deal with the problem, then more funding, personnel, and a faster way of deportation is needed.

If they want to become citizens so bad, there is an option of going to prison first like a citizen and serving time before applying.
edit on 27-7-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Suicide: 20 states with highest rates

Lets focus on taking care of our own and then we can maybe help "Illegals"

We all suffer from what some call the "Human Condition"

Keep Love in Your Heart !

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
WarPig1939
a reply to: MetalThunder

Definitely agree with that.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
double post....stupid phone

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I think murder at the hands of their country, Send them back ASAP tell them to do paperwork and try again.

No sympathy if the proper way was good enough for my family it's good enough for everyone's.

Do the right thing all the way.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Incompetence or fascist torture (and murder) by design, what's your take on this? How can they defend what's happening here?

Skewed altruism or blatant propaganda (OP) by design, whats everyone's take on this?

Can, and should we address how we handle our immigration problem? Absolutely.

Is it possible if we are getting hundreds of thousands of people to process a year, that a few blemishes will appear? Absolutely.

Cherry picking a few cases though to imply designed fascism is a big stretch though. If you do truly believe that, I hope you are willing to accept that design has gone back to every president after Reagan though (he actually brought in some of the most immigrants of any recent president).

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

3rd death in a 14 months....Private prison.....

I don't think any facility in the US can be equipped to deal with this issue. The US system is set up for punishment, and that is about it.

I imagine there are many different "types" of people breaking US law to get into the US. To treat a person who is genuinely leaving their home country because their home country is going to kill them like an MS 13 criminal is silly and counter productive.

There really is no easy answer, deport the criminals to home country and help those who are going to be killed if returned to their home country. Doing the right thing is hardly ever easy.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

All the more reason to send these criminals back where they came from immediately.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: atsgrounded

I imagine there are many different "types" of people breaking US law to get into the US. To treat a person who is genuinely leaving their home country because their home country is going to kill them like an MS 13 criminal is silly and counter productive.

There really is no easy answer, deport the criminals to home country and help those who are going to be killed if returned to their home country. Doing the right thing is hardly ever easy.

Do US citizens every die in prison? Any of them there for stupid misdemeanors like pot? The answer to both is yes. So this isn't a genocide or fascist issue like OP humors.

This is a case of the government being operated by humans.

Here is the truth, our government is going to be as flawed as the populace. Should only 50% of our citizens vote on for a presidential election on a good day, we will be misrepresented. Should our populace not stay up with current events (cable entertainment "news" shouldn't count), we will be misrepresented. Should we continue to allow unlimited money to drive politics through campaigning and lobbyists, we will be misrepresented. Ya'll see the trend, and it ain't changin'.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

You know, when an average of 20,000 children are brought to our border for human trafficking, the least ice can do is verify these kids are in safe hands rather they return the parents or adults back to mexico. But i do not feel sorry for them, like my wife said, they mostly are not running for safety, it's just money they want, they will say anything to get in to make money because the minimum wage in mexico is 80 cents a day. That sucks, I would say anything too. Children are just tools to get in or they are involved in sex slavery which ice should find and hang those adults involved and return the children back to Mexico for them to be with their family they were kidnapped from. For those crying about children being separated from their parents, have you ever stop to think that maybe a lot of them (20,000 a year on average) have already been separated from their family and thrown into human trafficking?
BOOOOOM, I know, mind blown or do you not get it yet? Let Ice do there job and stop B*itching or go down there and buy a child to get them out of the trafficking at least! Oh, you wont do that? will stop B*itching then!!!

In all honesty my wife and her mom thinks its really stupid Americans are fighting over this, Mexicans dont care, they care about whats going on in their country. My wife moved from there in 2016 and she still doesn't care about the immigration policy, she says they have there own on the southern border and like I said, she said they will lie and say anything to get into this country to make money to send home, that's it. I would believe those who live in Mexico over our media making a big stink over Trump and a policy that's been enforced since the 90's, my wife says nothing has changed since Trump got in office, adults crossing with children have always been detained and separated, nothing new!
edit on 27-7-2018 by xBWOMPx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I hope you don't expect many people here to agree with your assessment. This is the same site that thinks Joe Arpaio is a hero.

A while back I made a thread about unaccompanied minors being abused after being detained. Nobody on here cared despite the fact that these were children that were being abused.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: xBWOMPx

What does that have to do with the OP? This was a 40 year old man.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Do US citizens every die in prison? Any of them there for stupid misdemeanors like pot? The answer to both is yes. So this isn't a genocide or fascist issue like OP humors.

How many people die in German prisons due to ill-equipped gubmint bollocks?

Maybe it is a fascist issue and you can't see the bigger picture involved? One wrong doesn't make another wrong right, stinker.

What the fck happened to you?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: WarPig1939

Dehumanization.

Definition:

the process of depriving a person or group of positive human qualities.
"the consequences of systematic dehumanization of one racial group in a society can be horrific"

I see you edited your post, but you know what you're doing. We are not at war with those crossing the border.
Special Agent Orange has convinced you we are in a massive "immigration crisis". We aren't.

Your emotions have gotten the best of you. Try to calm down and see the situation for what it is.
Other human beings are being killed and assaulted in their own countries, and it's human nature to want to flee. We need to find a way to help them.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: xBWOMPx

What does that have to do with the OP? This was a 40 year old man.

I would like to be there to know why or IF, if you haven't noticed the media is going out of there way to make ICE look like terrorists! Nobody gave a s*hit when Obama did it, he deported more illegals then any other president!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I just had a "pregnant" thought.

All of these folks who want to get rid of I C E, I know the simplest and quickest way to do it.

Stop encouraging people to come into the United states illegally and stop protecting those which are already here. If there is no function for an agency to fulfill they will lose funding and be disbanded before very long.

This would be just like if there was no more crime there would be very little reason to continue to pay policemen to petrol our streets, so the city governments would lay them all off and put more money into their own pockets.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

US citizen prison treatment in the US is appalling and is only eclipsed by it's cost and misuse (and in some cases profits). That has little to do with illegals.

If someone is going to be killed if returned to their country of origin then I would want that to be front in center when considering returning them to said killing field. If they are gang members, criminals (some would argue they already are-they broke our laws getting here), have committed serious crimes while being illegal in the US (and I'm sure we can make a very long list) boom, on a "bus" to the country or origin.

I realize it is easy to have a hard assed approach to this while sipping coffee and typing while comfortable. All cases are not the same-hence the backlog. Individualized cases take a lot of time and $$$. Doing the right thing is hard.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join