It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Mistake Vitamins for Opioids and Jail Innocent Mom for Months

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes, her bad..I doubt she will ever cooperate again.
I just doubt they had any probable cause to ask in the 1st place.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
They obviously had no probable cause because it was vitamins..

Who knows maybe she thought they were opiats and got ripped off and was acting really nervous because she thought she had drugs.

But still 5 months just for them to properly test the substance whil you sit in prison????

that sounds like a travesty of justice to me..

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Until the mental illness that is current drug policy is resolved, if you’re ever in a situation like this, you only have to say one word to keep something like this from happening to you.

Lawyer. And exercise your right to not say anything.

That’s it.

And if they don’t immediately stop questioning you, everything done after asking for a lawyer is illegal and inadmissible in court.

All Questioning Must Cease Once an Attorney is Requested

If you are in police custody and you are being questioned, you can at any time prior or during the interrogation ask for counsel. Once you ask, the questioning must cease until you are able to speak with an attorney. Remember, do not be ambiguous about your request for counsel, stating merely that you think you should have counsel may not be enough to prompt the officers to stop the interrogation.

www.collinsattorneys.com...

Until we as a country can look to our police officers with respect and a feeling of safety I implore you to keep your mouth shut, don’t talk to them, don’t answer questions, and ask for a lawyer. Or else risk what this woman in the OP had to go through.

It’s up to you.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Just say no you cant search. Then say lawyer..

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

We are all at the mercy of the system.
They ask to search. You say no.
Its not like they so ok and to on their merry way.

You would be stuck on the side of the road for 10 #in hours while they get their play together and in the end they're tossing your car anyway.

Just like if they ask you to blow on the side of the road. You can say no. Refuse. Doing that just gets them to take you to the station and test you there.

We are all playing a game that is rigged against us.

edit on 27-7-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

We are all at the mercy of the system.
They ask to search. You say no.
Its not like they so ok and to on their merry way.

You would be stuck on the side of the road for 10 #in hours while they get their play together and in the end they're tossing your car anyway.

Just like if they ask you to blow on the side of the road. You can say no. Refuse. Doing that just gets them to take you to the station and test you there.

We are all playing a game that is rigged against us.

they kept me on the side of the road for 45 minutes waiting after he asked to search the car.

Then just came and gave me my ticket and said have a good day.

I guess they decided I was good..
edit on 27-7-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: 727Sky

I use to be fully supportive of the cops but I see the day coming when law abiding folks like myself are going to have to take the step of telling the cops to either bugger off or call for backup while us citizens call for our own backup. Maybe then the cops will think twice about messing with people for no reason.

I keep telling people this. It’s a matter of time before some power tripping cops go hard on the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time and they will be swarmed by an angry mob.

Its going to happen eventually and when it happens once, it will begin to happen more often. I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't happened already. And it may have done and the MSM has intentional not reported it. The one good thing about the body cams is that its acting as a deterrent to the cops going all out Medieval as often as they would like.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
a reply to: underwerks

Just say no you cant search. Then say lawyer..

Drilled that into my kids. If a cop asks anything the answer is "lawyer". Say nothing else.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

A forcible search is what i imagine would have come next should she have refused the search through, don't you?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

A forcible search is what i imagine would have come next should she have refused the search through, don't you?

all they really have to do is lie and say I thought I smelled weed. Bam probable cause..

When this happens the cops should be liable period...

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

They can do as they wish really.

The fact of the matter is that Police in this day of age should be required to have fully functional body cameras on at all times whilst they are on duty, and particularly so, whilst they make an arrest.

Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility, as it keeps both them and the law correct.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Seems to me that the fault was with the manufacturer of the test kit.

If the kit gives false positives, then the manufacturer should be held accountable.

I don't think that this was the fault of the police officer. He used the test kit and it returned a false positive.

I don't think that the tax payers should be held liable, but if the kit is not trust worthy, then the law enforcement agencies need to stop relying on it or, it should just be a field test and then the substance in question should be tested at a proper lab.

I also think that this will be used in court by lawyers who will seek to have their clients released due to the false positives associated with this test kit

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Maybe the cop that stopped her had a little something on his person and put it in the test kit when he tested a tablet.

She was an easy target stuck at the roadside - an easy arrest.

How did he do the test? Did he put a whole tablet in the test kit, or did he break one up therefore being able to slip a little something in to get the reading.

The reason for the $5000 bail was because she was charged with trafficking, so there must have been a good amount of tablets in her possession.

Not saying the cop is corrupt but to me this all revolves around him and the way he dealt with the situation. He should have said "are you ok, can i get you some fuel?" and not "can i search your car?". I just feel he wanted an easy arrest... and there she was... stranded.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
But it's worth it Because drugs are evil so they have to be illegal and so sometimes a mistake will happen... But at least we know nobody is out there feeling all extra good and getting away with it.

That should be out main priority as a nation. Making sure nobody else feels any better or any different than I do.

In fact we should be super obsessive about it.

If anybody possesses even a tiny amount of these feel-good or feel-different substances, we ought to take them away from their families and put them in jail with a bunch of gang members and killers and rapists for months, years in many cases, and make it so their future is ruined because of something called a "drug offense".

Make it so the only way you can get these substances that make people feel different than how I feel is to deal with gangbangers. I don't even want us tka single penny of the billions in narcotics revenue because that's dirty "feel good" money, so just let all the criminals have the billions of dollars, otherwise the cartels and street gangs wouldn't exist, and who would want that??!

Edit: so, yeah, basically I'm saying this never should have happened in the 1st place because the Drug War makes NO SENSE on every level, every facet, every angle, every point, every argument!
edit on 7/27/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Moohide

Something definitely seems off with this situation.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Drugs are not evil else all the pharmaceutical companies are going to hell in a handbasket.

Exactly in the same genera as Alchohol and tobacco really.

You do realize that your nation, just like my own, has no Coca or Poppy fields. How do you think all that Heroin and Cocaine lands on our shores?

Who do you imagine these cartels answer to and/or cooperate with?

That would be Police, Customs, nevermind any and all of the alphabet agencies who are responsible for the presence of such in/on our towns and streets.

Just a thought.
edit on 27-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
First, the "war on drugs" is a farce! Especially when the US Government is participating in supporting the hardcore cultivation and distribution of narcotics via the black agencies!

Second, look at places like SF, Chicago, Detroit and NYC; they are replete with dangerous needles, toxic waste and disease.

Drug abuse is a social problem, not a legal one.

Tolerance is even worse.

I'm all for giving them a burned out building, letting them shoot up, zone out and do whatever they do. They just aren't allowed to leave until they're straight. Call it a "Dead Zone", cordon it off and let people in, but not out, until they're clean. Violence equals immediate JAIL and sentencing.

You use, you go here. You use elsewhere, and you go to jail. Here's a job for you; it's hard, and we expect you to show up. No show...right back to Dead Zone. Not allowed to leave, no going out and getting a "fix" and coming back. You stay...or you fail. You fail and you're on the street and subject to arrest. Simple rules.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I can just imagine being in a state of mind of needing a cops help and knowing i am not breaking the law.

Then allowing it to search my car just so i can get the help i need.

Then having it turn into an abortion of the law.

So much for the thought if your not guilty then you have nothing to hide.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
First, the "war on drugs" is a farce! Especially when the US Government is participating in supporting the hardcore cultivation and distribution of narcotics via the black agencies!

Second, look at places like SF, Chicago, Detroit and NYC; they are replete with dangerous needles, toxic waste and disease.

Drug abuse is a social problem, not a legal one.

Tolerance is even worse.

I'm all for giving them a burned out building, letting them shoot up, zone out and do whatever they do. They just aren't allowed to leave until they're straight. Call it a "Dead Zone", cordon it off and let people in, but not out, until they're clean. Violence equals immediate JAIL and sentencing.

You use, you go here. You use elsewhere, and you go to jail. Here's a job for you; it's hard, and we expect you to show up. No show...right back to Dead Zone. Not allowed to leave, no going out and getting a "fix" and coming back. You stay...or you fail. You fail and you're on the street and subject to arrest. Simple rules.

Sounds like a movie..

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

"I'm all for giving them a burned out building, letting them shoot up, zone out and do whatever they do. They just aren't allowed to leave until they're straight. Call it a "Dead Zone", cordon it off and let people in, but not out, until they're clean. Violence equals immediate JAIL and sentencing."

That will be happening for just smoking soon. LoL

One question that springs to mind though, whilst these junkies are confined to the burned-out buildings, who would be looking after there children?

Not that they do a very good job of that at the best of times, but I'm sure you can see the multitude of problems that would arise in trying to confine people to certain areas, burned-out or otherwise.

What they should do is legalize all drugs, thus introducing quality control, taxation, not to mention the removal of the criminal elements associated with such.

Then use the proceeds of said taxation to fund proper addiction facilities for those that require help.

Simple really but it will never happen.
edit on 27-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join