It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pieces of Mantle Found Rising Under Cascadia Fault

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Not good news for the West Coast as it appears activity is increasing. First the Yellowstone super caldera and now this. The newyorker did a story on the impact of a tsunami that would be caused if this goes off.

scitechdaily.com...

New seismic data provide structural basis for strong earthquakes that strike at both ends of the Pacific Northwest fault zone.

With four years of data from 268 seismometers on the ocean floor and several hundred on land, researchers have found anomalies in the upper mantle below both ends of the Cascadia Subduction Zone. They may influence the location, frequency and strength of earthquake events along the U.S. Pacific Northwest.

The mantle is rising under the southern Gorda deformation zone at the north edge of the San Andreas Fault and under the Olympic Peninsula and southern Vancouver Island.

“Our study is worse news for Portland northward to Seattle and for southern Cascadia, but central Cascadia is not off the hook,” said Toomey. “More frequent earthquakes to the north and south are seen in historical seismicity patterns. This research helps to understand that.”

www.newyorker.com...

In the Pacific Northwest, the area of impact will cover* some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

When? (Rhetorical)
edit on Ram72718v46201800000023 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I'll admit. This terrifies me.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I want one!

Surely you have offerings on ebay by now??

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

I'll admit. This terrifies me.

Great Documentary on it if interested:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Still, there is probably too little substantial data to call doom.

That entire stretch of "the ring of fire" has been unstable all of recorded history. The smaller earthquakes are most likely beneficial, as they gradually relieve stress.

There will be big earthquakes all over the earth while we are on this planet. They are part of the danger of living here.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Thanks I'm definitely going to give it a watch.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The Episodic Tremor and Slip Event (ETS) of this year has caused WA areas to move 5 mil. to the West.

Tremors shove Washington state west, offer clues to next big earthquake

The Seattle Times Thousands of tiny tremors over the past few months have moved parts of Washington state and Vancouver Island westward. It's a near-annual event that backs expectations by some scientists that a big earthquake may hit the Seattle area harder than their previous models suggested.

Source

Slip graphic: from this source

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Sounds like it is just an example what will happen when that star system gets closer to earth,it will literally be years of disasters,the new madrid will split the US in 2,bad ju ju comming

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

Sounds like it is just an example what will happen when that star system gets closer to earth,it will literally be years of disasters,the new madrid will split the US in 2,bad ju ju comming

You know, it's starting to seem that way. Either I am just noticing these events more and more, or it's actually happening more and more.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I know nothing about the science but how many times have such measurements been taken in the last 200 years? How do they know it's anomalous if the science is so new?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I'd like more than 4 years of data.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

From the article,

When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America.

Worse than when Yellowstone has blown up in the distant past? Or the event that caused the Younger Dryas Mini Ice Age?

I get that it will be a big quake with Tsunami as past evidence shows. I think the 2 above mentioned had far greater impacts.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Whatever, whenever.

It'll sure be an adventure when it comes.
edit on 28-7-2018 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join