It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Planet is Screwed!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: Jay-morris

Thamks for backing me up with your 2 responses above... saves me the time to do it right now.

No worries. Amazing me that there are still people out there that do not see this as a problem

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

originally posted by: amazing

There is plenty of land on earth for everyone to live.
There is plenty of power for everyone. Solar
There is plenty of water for everyone. The sea/desalinization plants.
There is plenty of food. Start looking up how much food the world throws away daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

Population. There are several countries with an aging population. In several decades, they will have population decline.

Even if the earth's population doubled to 14 Billion in a few years, we would still have plenty of land, power, water, food for everyone.

There is no shortage of resources.

This is where you're wrong.

Where is the resource coming from to keep 14 billion people happy??

But what do you need to keep them happy? Education can be virtually free with the internet. Housing/warmth/cooling We can do that with solar power. Food and water. We have enough of that for trillions of people. Distractions TV/Netflix/cheap smart phones. Opportunity. There is always hope and opportunity for advancement in the world.

I don't see where I'm wrong. Give me an example.

We don't have enough water for Trillions of people... where did you get that from? Must be from some do-gooders website or some Leftie newspaper

LOL yes we do, you ever here of the "Ocean" or the Polar ice caps, or glaciers or all the lakes and rivers and streams and ponds we have. we literally covered in water, here on earth.

Not sure how using logic would cause you to be a 'Leftist" or some "do gooder'

Don't we all want to do good? Or are you in charge of some evil empire. LOL

So, have you been ignoring scientists saying shortage of clean drinking water is going to become a major global problem?

Even now, 2 million people die every year drinking unsafe water. Yes, our planet does contain roughly a billion trillion litres of water, but most of that is not safe to drink.

I think 96% of water on earth is salt water. What is left, most of that is locked away in ice caps and glaciers. The rest trapped in soil.

Scientists have been talking about this for ages . Look it up yourself.

You have a very negative view of life. I realize we have a problem, but there is plenty of money to build as many deslinization plants as we need. There is plenty of money to create waste water treatment plants.

Again, there is plenty of water for us, it's just that we vote to put our tax money in other areas.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

There is plenty of land on earth for everyone to live.
There is plenty of power for everyone. Solar
There is plenty of water for everyone. The sea/desalinization plants.
There is plenty of food. Start looking up how much food the world throws away daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

Population. There are several countries with an aging population. In several decades, they will have population decline.

Even if the earth's population doubled to 14 Billion in a few years, we would still have plenty of land, power, water, food for everyone.

There is no shortage of resources.

Well, if we do mot get on top of the plastics pollution going into the sea, then you can forget about the sea as a drinking water source.

And let's not forget that scientists believe if we do not sort this out before 2050, then we could have fishless oceans, so there goes a food source for billions of people.

And let's not forget that half the oxygen we all breath comes from our oceans

All this is just one of many problems we face.

easily solves. More recycling, creating products out of biodegradable materials, harsher penalties for polluters, Scale up waste management technologies, more renewable energy, Go green whenever we can. Again, we have most of that technology and solutions in place now, we just aren't using them. it's not a problem unless we do nothing about it.

That is easier said than done! Not really happening at the moment, yes, retailers have started to change things, but it is not enough!

Companies use products that are the most cost effective, hence the reason they use plastic. The sad fact of the matter is money is more important to these companies, more important than the disgusting world they are making for their children.

At the moment, mote than 8 million tons of plastic ends up in the sea every year, and in the north Pacific, there is an area bigger than turkey made mostly of plastic.

And let's not forget you now find plastic in every level of the ocean food chain, hence the reason why toxic plastic is turning up in our drinking water and food.

Some scientists even believe we cannot reverse this problem now.

So it is not as easy as you think to sort this problem out.

But we have to start somewhere. All I'm pointing out is that it's not population or a resource problem it's a management problem. We're not managing our resources properly leaving huge parts of our populations lacking in resources.

In the US it's giving the EPA more teeth and power to go after polluters. It's giving green energy and builders tax breaks or subsidies. We do it for every other large corporation including oil and coal and natural gas.

Remember when Mcdonalds changed their packaging and had a huge positive impact on our planet.

Small steps ad up over time. It's not time to panic yet.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

You have a very negative view of life.

No I do not, I just know what I am talking about because I worked in this field. When scientists are saying we might not be able to reverse this problem now, that's when you know it is a huge problem.

We basically have been conned into thinking the problem of plastic packaging can be solved through better individual action. It is the huge companies like coca cola, Pepsi, Nestlé etc

All they care about is profit, they do not care about the environment. And thus is the problem. It is going to take maybe decades to change this problem, and by that time, our oceans will be completly poisoned. We we see water like we see oil today. Companies will be buying up water sources, and again, it will be an opportunity for these companies to make money from this.

Like I said before, half the oxygen we breath comes from our oceans. What do you think will happen when they are completly positioned?

So no, I am not being negative. I am being realistic.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Dissolve corporations into syndicates and let the brains come back to solve problems. The depressed corporate slaveforce of silent resignations has to be transformed into a capable workforce again.

There is no shareholder left to hold any shares on the poisoned planet of our futures past.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

My best mate is a professor in Leeds and he has been to the north pole and Antarctica doing science and he tells me we are too late to fix it all.
Him and his wife have even decided to not have kids, he says it is not fair to bring them into the world with what will happen in the future.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

Dissolve corporations into syndicates and let the brains come back to solve problems. The depressed corporate slaveforce of silent resignations has to be transformed into a capable workforce again.

There is no shareholder left to hold any shares on the poisoned planet of our futures past.

Well, something drastic needs to be done.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

My best mate is a professor in Leeds and he has been to the north pole and Antarctica doing science and he tells me we are too late to fix it all.
Him and his wife have even decided to not have kids, he says it is not fair to bring them into the world with what will happen in the future.

There are scientists who do believe it is too late too reverse this. Even if major companies do change the way they make their products, it would takes years for them to change and implement that.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
We have vertical farming now. If rooftops and private yards were encouraged to farm and sell at coops and farmers markets we would survive a high population.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: anotherside
We have vertical farming now. If rooftops and private yards were encouraged to farm and sell at coops and farmers markets we would survive a high population.

How about we let people grow food in their front yards.

How did it ever come about that we have to have pristine lawns of grass - - that are basically useless?

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

How did it ever come about that we have to have pristine lawns of grass - - that are basically useless?

Very true that. In the US anyway but over here in the UK preople are paving their properties and getting rid of the gardens (In the city anyway)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
World population continues to increase, but technology is increasing at an even faster rate. Although fossil fuels will become depleted, we will eventually be moving on to other forms of fuel such as those depicted in futuristic sci-fi movies. Also, technological advances will lead to changes in culture and improvement in conditions in third world countries, which may lead to lower birth rates.

We do face a modest threat of rare, unforeseen natural disasters such as meteorite strikes and super volcano eruptions, maybe even our sun going through a period of increased activity that causes disruption. Or, some sort of plague that we are not yet able to mitigate. And possibly, terrorists obtaining nuclear weapons.

But I think the greater threat, aside from wars in general, is imposed control of the masses by secret cabals or dictators. It's not far fetched. Just think about Hitler and World War II. This type of control may come about again, and might involve a group rather than an individual like Hitler that has decided they know what's best for everyone.... or rather, what's best for themselves at our expense. This control will likely involve deceiving the masses with disinformation, perhaps even creating disasters while at the same time offering the solution to the people, one that involves giving up freedoms in a sort of apocalyptic type of scenario..... an engineered end of the world as we know it.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
it's all about the money, always has been, always will be...that's the problem now....the future will be worse...don't think so?.....the billionaires are licking their collective chops to profit off of global shortages.....the people with assets will have the basic needs, the poorest in the world will be drinking contaminated water, and eating spoiled/diseased food.
they are already "training" for it on a smaller scale, nobody pays that much attention to it now.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

The earth can sustain many more people. What this planet lacks is a love of the fellow people. We can sustain many more in resources than you think, but the world is doomed unless Love is cultivated.

The planet is fine and will be around long past us, it will shake us off like fleas unless we cultivate a world filled with love for everything and everyone.
edit on 29-7-2018 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

www.theguardian.com...

The above article (from 2013) needs to be read and shared everywhere so people can get it into their heads which way the planet is heading and how quickly or planet Earth is Fucxxx... excuse my language.

So much in the article to make you go... damn!

Population rise and the consumption which comes with it, is going to be the biggest problem. i'll just paste these figures here and you'll see what is going to happen in 100 years.

The planet is fine - always has been, always will be.

It is us - people, that are screwed.

The planet will keep on going until the sun engulfs it - at which point the human species has moved on somewhere else - or perished. In the grand scheme of things, we are just parasites.

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
it's all about the money, always has been, always will be...that's the problem now....the future will be worse...don't think so?.....the billionaires are licking their collective chops to profit off of global shortages.....the people with assets will have the basic needs, the poorest in the world will be drinking contaminated water, and eating spoiled/diseased food.
they are already "training" for it on a smaller scale, nobody pays that much attention to it now.

Yep... money and greed is at the heart of it. The big corps want more and more so won't let anything get in their way.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Yes, these over-fertilized lawns have runoff that poisons the rivers too. I stopped fertilizing because I didn't want my dog or the rivers exposed to fertilizer carcinogens. Annee, glad to see we have some common ground between us.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I've got 9 times them handled on the backside cause i hustle.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Uberdoubter

there's a parasit that makes an ant go crazy and climb to the top of a blade of grass to get eaten by a cow in order to transfer host. I'm a parasite.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Tents in the City area could be agreat idea... only problem is you'd then have lots of thieves!

Tents would save on a hell of a lot of resources though.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join