It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Planet is Screwed!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You can't ignore the fact that technology is not stagnant. The Third World has benefited greatly from the advancements of the West. They will continue to do so. That argument reminds me of the false arguments we were taught in college in the early 70's, when we were told we would starve before now if the population grew to what it is now. Science and how we feed ourselves or get our energy seems to always keep up.

Hand wringing over the why's solves nothing. Fixing problems is the rational approach.

On the other, lets not twist a Fragile Earth topic into a I hate the West festival. We've all had enough of politics taking over topics, at least I have.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Technology is definitely the way forward, not like we can go backward willingly and still call it the Human race.

Let's just say hopefully its a glass half full future as opposed to the opposite.

As to politics, stuff politics, as politics kind of got us into this mess.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

How do we quantify happiness?

Free food,free homes, free education,free healthcare,free phones, free money.

Happy,happy,happy.

Iness.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Well, all I can say is the people who have the best view of what is to come have the best chance to alter their own future trajectory.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I often see a lot of numbers about birth rates and population growth. Rarely have I seen, or heard anyone speak of, how many people die each year and how that impacts population density.
I do see ads wanting me to give money to the "starving" kids in some third world countries and they talk about how many thousands are dying every day. Some where along the line some of the numbers will not add up.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
There is plenty of land on earth for everyone to live.
There is plenty of power for everyone. Solar
There is plenty of water for everyone. The sea/desalinization plants.
There is plenty of food. Start looking up how much food the world throws away daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

Population. There are several countries with an aging population. In several decades, they will have population decline.

Even if the earth's population doubled to 14 Billion in a few years, we would still have plenty of land, power, water, food for everyone.

There is no shortage of resources.

Well, if we do mot get on top of the plastics pollution going into the sea, then you can forget about the sea as a drinking water source.

And let's not forget that scientists believe if we do not sort this out before 2050, then we could have fishless oceans, so there goes a food source for billions of people.

And let's not forget that half the oxygen we all breath comes from our oceans

All this is just one of many problems we face.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

And these were 2013 stats. Its higher now...damn frightening in implications.

As a planet, we are screwed, and won't wake up in time. Good op...thanks...Best

Yep.. from 2013 and that's what i thought whe I read it. Did you read about the water issue?

Lakes are running dry now.. I've seen decline in these 32 days without rain here in London. We've also got raging fires not seen before either.
edit on CDTFri, 27 Jul 2018 08:31:00 -05000000003108x100x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
We just need to look at trends. Though the 60s we saw 2%+ per year growth in population, 70s and 80s it dropped below 2% to around 1.7% to 1.9% growth. 90s saw a 1.3% growth, 2000s 1.2%, 2010s 1.1% and today 1.08%...

Anyone see a trend here?

If population is on the rise, hw can those figures be true?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

All humans will die before the planet is even close to dieing off.

The surface of this planet has gone through way worse than what we are doing to it.

I want to stop polluting for the sake of humanity not to save the world.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

There is plenty of food. Start looking up how much food the world throws away daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

Population. There are several countries with an aging population. In several decades, they will have population decline.

Even if the earth's population doubled to 14 Billion in a few years, we would still have plenty of land, power, water, food for everyone.

This is where you're wrong.

Where is the resource coming from to keep 14 billion people happy??

What resources are you speaking of? The ones for Air Jordans, Apple phones, shiny cars with rims? How do we quantify happiness?

I am happy to eat once a day, and it doesn't matter what it is I eat, but I get to eat! I see so often on ATS these threads about how the evil rich enjoy their lavish life styles while we all suffer, but is suffering not in the eye of those willingly claiming victimhood?

If I have a roof over my head, and a belly full once a day of whatever I have to eat? It's all good for me! So explain Happiness for me!

Resoures to build houses! Materials are needed and a lot of that material needs water. Where is that water coming from if we are diminishing our water supply? Raping the Earth of it's natural res isn't going to help matters either.. people are cutting down gardens in favor of Patios and paving.. where's all the res coming from? Families want cars so they can get around... where are all the cars going to fit and what res is needed to make cars? metal! Where's all the metal coming from? If people keep mining, digging and just taking from the Earth.. it's not going to last. Where's the wood coming from? cuting down major forests such as the Amazon which is needed to keep our Air supply at a sustainable level. We need Oxygen to breath, in case you hadn't noticed. Our cities are over-populated already, yet more and more people want to come to the Cities and more and more buildings are being built on greenland. It can't continue. We thought 'Famine' was just an issue for Africa but it could happen in europe too. I've seen wild fires today in England destroying cropfields!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

But what do you need to keep them happy? Education can be virtually free with the internet. Housing/warmth/cooling We can do that with solar power. Food and water. We have enough of that for trillions of people. Distractions TV/Netflix/cheap smart phones. Opportunity. There is always hope and opportunity for advancement in the world.

I don't see where I'm wrong. Give me an example.

We don't have enough water for Trillions of people... where did you get that from? Must be from some do-gooders website or some Leftie newspaper

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: atsgrounded

While flying at 10,000 feet I noticed that, other than cities, that buildings and homes are almost always jetting out of trees and there is plenty of room. There is alot of "unused" space. I have no idea how many of us can be supported, but there is still plenty of room.
And when it is economically feasible recycling-geothermal-solar will take on the main source of energy. Solving a ton of issues. I wish we didn't throw away anything-but right now we are still finding our way.

There is a lot of wasted space. When I see industrial estates and business parks, every building has a massive car park, a several meter border of neglected green space. And this repeats for dozens if not hundreds of units. Added together that's enough space for dozens of homes.

It was documented in "The Exploding Metropolis". There are millions of cubic meters of "dead space" in a city. Gaps between buildings, arches under freeway overpasses. Some work as firebreaks, but others just pick up all sorts of junk. They even found an aircraft engine in one of these spaces. Even a strip-mall wastes space, because in Europe, we actually build apartment blocks above those shops. It allows people to do shopping without using a car and shop workers can live locally.

This is BS. I already live on top of other people and when I step out my front door, there's someone walking by within 3 metres of my door.. you think this is great living opportunity? you're solely mistaken. got people living opposite and people living to the side... more at the back and other side.. kids making noise, babies crying.. you call this luxury??

Can't afford a House at these ridiculous prices to move out and rents are too high. This was all planned 'Living Space' by the Government to give us each as litle room as possible to move about.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow
I completely agree people need to breed less.
We live in a conflicting world view:
On the one hand we have a national and global economy that relies on growth, hence more consumers. On the other hand we are trashing our environment because of the demand.

Do we want this to be on every beach in the world:

Waves of Garbage are Washing onto a beach in the Dominican Republic

www.smithsonianmag.com...

People don't care though. My local Park has loads of plastic bags and other plastic goods on it... either thrown onto bushes or under them or just left in the grass to get blown by the wind and some in the lake where the Geese, Swans and Ducks are...

Even after all the news about plastic waste, people are still ignorant assholes.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I live on Lake Erie, St.Clair, Detroit River (channel) and South of Lake Huron.

The water levels are so low in spots...shoeline and channel residents from Erie to Huron have not seen some water lines so low, some of their home docked boats are out of the water and they can't cast off.

Some inland lakes here have gotten so low they are now lillies in pads the water is so low.

Imagine a 1/2 million $ home with private dock...and you're now looking out at a dried up mess.

Some folks in some spots have docks to go diving off of. Once they were safely a few feet off the water...now the water lines are a dangerous 5-6 ft above the water....
edit on 27-7-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

Well, if we do mot get on top of the plastics pollution going into the sea, then you can forget about the sea as a drinking water source.

And let's not forget that scientists believe if we do not sort this out before 2050, then we could have fishless oceans, so there goes a food source for billions of people.

easily solves. More recycling, creating products out of biodegradable materials, harsher penalties for polluters, Scale up waste management technologies, more renewable energy, Go green whenever we can. Again, we have most of that technology and solutions in place now, we just aren't using them. it's not a problem unless we do nothing about it.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

But what do you need to keep them happy? Education can be virtually free with the internet. Housing/warmth/cooling We can do that with solar power. Food and water. We have enough of that for trillions of people. Distractions TV/Netflix/cheap smart phones. Opportunity. There is always hope and opportunity for advancement in the world.

We don't have enough water for Trillions of people... where did you get that from? Must be from some do-gooders website or some Leftie newspaper

LOL yes we do, you ever here of the "Ocean" or the Polar ice caps, or glaciers or all the lakes and rivers and streams and ponds we have. we literally covered in water, here on earth.

Not sure how using logic would cause you to be a 'Leftist" or some "do gooder'

Don't we all want to do good? Or are you in charge of some evil empire. LOL

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
We just need to look at trends. Though the 60s we saw 2%+ per year growth in population, 70s and 80s it dropped below 2% to around 1.7% to 1.9% growth. 90s saw a 1.3% growth, 2000s 1.2%, 2010s 1.1% and today 1.08%...

Anyone see a trend here?

If population is on the rise, hw can those figures be true?

I'm not sure what you mean...these are yearly increase % to the total population, so yes there is growth.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

easily solves. More recycling, creating products out of biodegradable materials, harsher penalties for polluters, Scale up waste management technologies, more renewable energy, Go green whenever we can. Again, we have most of that technology and solutions in place now, we just aren't using them. it's not a problem unless we do nothing about it.

That is easier said than done! Not really happening at the moment, yes, retailers have started to change things, but it is not enough!

Companies use products that are the most cost effective, hence the reason they use plastic. The sad fact of the matter is money is more important to these companies, more important than the disgusting world they are making for their children.

At the moment, mote than 8 million tons of plastic ends up in the sea every year, and in the north Pacific, there is an area bigger than turkey made mostly of plastic.

And let's not forget you now find plastic in every level of the ocean food chain, hence the reason why toxic plastic is turning up in our drinking water and food.

Some scientists even believe we cannot reverse this problem now.

So it is not as easy as you think to sort this problem out.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

LOL yes we do, you ever here of the "Ocean" or the Polar ice caps, or glaciers or all the lakes and rivers and streams and ponds we have. we literally covered in water, here on earth.

Not sure how using logic would cause you to be a 'Leftist" or some "do gooder'

Don't we all want to do good? Or are you in charge of some evil empire. LOL

So, have you been ignoring scientists saying shortage of clean drinking water is going to become a major global problem?

Even now, 2 million people die every year drinking unsafe water. Yes, our planet does contain roughly a billion trillion litres of water, but most of that is not safe to drink.

I think 96% of water on earth is salt water. What is left, most of that is locked away in ice caps and glaciers. The rest trapped in soil.

Scientists have been talking about this for ages . Look it up yourself.

edit on 27-7-2018 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

Thamks for backing me up with your 2 responses above... saves me the time to do it right now.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join