It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Planet is Screwed!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: neo96

Most people that's looked in to aeroponic/aquaponics/hydroponics verticle gardening knows this.

I think it was back in the 30s or 40s that they said the planet could not feed more than 4 billion...

They lied! LOL

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
We just need to look at trends. Though the 60s we saw 2%+ per year growth in population, 70s and 80s it dropped below 2% to around 1.7% to 1.9% growth. 90s saw a 1.3% growth, 2000s 1.2%, 2010s 1.1% and today 1.08%...

Anyone see a trend here?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
There is plenty of land on earth for everyone to live.
There is plenty of power for everyone. Solar
There is plenty of water for everyone. The sea/desalinization plants.
There is plenty of food. Start looking up how much food the world throws away daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

Population. There are several countries with an aging population. In several decades, they will have population decline.

Even if the earth's population doubled to 14 Billion in a few years, we would still have plenty of land, power, water, food for everyone.

There is no shortage of resources.

I remember reading a PJ O'Rourke book sometime ago (20 years?) that stated that if all mankind choose to live similar to the way people do in NYC, that city would be the size of Yugoslavia. I think I read that if you subtract the un-livable areas (mountains, deserts, etc.) that each person could theoretically have two acres a piece if divided equally. That may not seem like much, but if that area has sufficient water supply you can grow enough food to feed hundreds of people (plants, not livestock). Throwing livestock into this is a problem but maybe there could be a giant livestock co-op or something?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Interesting.

The dependence on other countries is an invention of our own making inside the US. We are entirely capable of autonomy right now. We have the advantage of environments encompassing everything from southwestern deserts to huge areas of pristine wild lands.

Water is not truly an issue. We know how to provide it to our large coastal cities using desalination plants. Remove them from the equation so they stop stealing water and the inland areas suddenly have plenty of water and we have loads of vacant arable land.

We could simply cut off immigration and our population would shrink. We are long past the days when we had large families to provide the labor for farms. I know a father and son who work almost 30,000 acres of crops by themselves with modern equipment. Everything they grow goes to other countries, it could just as easily stay here and that's the case with much of the food produced.

Europe however has far less options, far less untouched lands and I'd think is more at risk overall. I'm not sure you can compare the two. Neither here nor there, it just is the case. We would need to deal with the issues of population growth in different ways.

I think we have too little faith in human ingenuity where life and death is concerned. If approached as a problem of human survival, dropping the idea that we must protect wildlife at all costs, I'm sure the Earth is capable of supporting ten times our current population easily. The world would be quite different, but it could be done. Energy would be the issue and we have that solved, its just a matter of costs. The US has large area's suitable for huge solar farms and wind farms, minus the input from people who want clean energy, who at the same time don't want it in their backyard. That would change.

Producing foods independent of the climate indoors is highly developed. No longer requires the massive amounts of energy it once did. Just here in the US we could feed ourselves easily and a significant portion of the world.

I can't help but notice that I immediately went to thoughts of how the US would fare and that's because tribalism is genetically imprinted on us. You make a great point that we need to learn to work together, but I'm not hopeful we will evolve quickly enough. There will be winners and losers and it will eventually get messy. I almost think that in itself is natures way of limiting our population. We overpopulate we kill each other until balance is reached. In that lies the problem. Would it be immoral for one tribe to kill another if it was a genuine case of kill or die yourself?

If push comes to shove, the Third World is toast. I think that's just the way it is.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

There is no shortage of resources

But no one can deny the greater the
poulation, the more precarious it becomes
to sustain. Do you realise what would happen
if trucks stopped hauling frieght? Just one
component to our economy no longer
capable for whatever reason? Like a
shortage of qualified drivers. Right now
every transportation company doing
business in the U.S. needs drivers.
Nobody wants to do it anymore.

You know why?
Because it sucks! All the way from the
regulations, Dot, cops, on your ass peak'n
around corners. Wait'n on the professional
driver out there try'n to make living, to go
five miles over the speed limit. And then
fall'n down over each other to be the one
to write the ticket.

While some woman with her phone in one
hand and her eye liner brush in the other is
cut'n em off at 90. And all the driver was
try'n to do is make sure their supermarket
was stalked up on strawberries.

But does that crazy $@£% or dumbass cop
care about that? Only when they don't have
strawberries for there strawberry short cake.
And these fascist corp they deliver to don't
give a crap about em. Early or late they make
you wait. Sometimes a half a day up to
anybodys guess. The whole industry is a joke
and now racism is starting to play a role.
At the receiver and the shipper. It's all
messed up. Anyway it's not just the
amount of people. It's who we all are
that is really gonna be a big problem.

edit on Rpm72618v08201800000022 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

There is no shortage of resources

But no one can deny the greater the
poulation, the more precarious it becomes
to sustain. Do you realise what would happen
if trucks stopped hauling frieght? Just one
component to our economy no longer
capable for whatever reason? Like a
shortage of qualified drivers. Right now
every transportation company doing
business in the U.S. needs drivers.
Nobody wants to do it anymore.

You know why?
Because it sucks! All the way from the
regulations, Dot, cops, on your ass peak'n
around corners. Wait'n on the professional
driver out there try'n to make living, to go
five miles over the speed limit.

While some woman with her phone in one
hand and her eye liner brush in the other is
cut'n em off at 90. And all the driver was
try'n to do is make sure their supermarket
was stalked up on strawberries.

But does that crazy $@£% or dumbass cop
care about that? Only when they don't have
strawberries for there strawberry short cake.
And these fascist corp they deliver to don't
give a crap about em. Early or late they make
you wait. Sometimes a half a day up to
anybodys guess. The whole industry is a joke
and now racism is starting to play a role.
At the receiver and the shipper. It's all
messed up. Anyway it's not just the
amount of people. It's who we all are
that is really gonna be a big problem.

But you see it's not a population problem. It's a do we have the will to do something about it problem or a management leadership problem.

Take your truck drivers. There's no shortage of people to do it, there's a shortage of people willing to do it.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

No my good member the thickness
In population means to many regulations
to many cops to many people to feed.
To many people making it impossible
to get down the road to deliver the
food they all need. Because if their
market goes dry? They're f%%×÷@.

Driving 80,000 lbs down the freeway these
days is becoming more insane everyday.
The company a driver works for could pay
him 10 bucks a mile. It's still zero if the truck
Isn't moving.
edit on Rpm72618v27201800000040 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Didn't take you too long to come up with that...

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: atsgrounded
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

While flying at 10,000 feet I noticed that, other than cities, that buildings and homes are almost always jetting out of trees and there is plenty of room. There is alot of "unused" space. I have no idea how many of us can be supported, but there is still plenty of room.
And when it is economically feasible recycling-geothermal-solar will take on the main source of energy. Solving a ton of issues. I wish we didn't throw away anything-but right now we are still finding our way.

I am curious by what you mean when you say plenty of room? Yes there is land that does not have houses, but you are not looking at the big picture.

How much of that land needs to be used for food? How much of the water is being used and polluted? How much of the resources that we have can we continue to mine? When you look at land not just in areas of people per sqft then the issue becomes more frightening.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: seeker1963

Didn't take you too long to come up with that...

Your point?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
....those who care already know...and some if us try to do stuff about it by simple lifestyle changes ...then you have a bunch of people who know and simply don't care for whatever reason.... Always remember, the world is not screwed. The planet will come back from whatever it is we do to it. Most species on the other hand....will go extinct and evolution will take it's course again.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

And these were 2013 stats. Its higher now...damn frightening in implications.

As a planet, we are screwed, and won't wake up in time. Good op...thanks...Best
edit on 26-7-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The denial responses are amazing... I understand and embrace denial as integral to the human condition, but daaaaaaam!

Ecological systems can be fragile and physical space is almost the least of it.

But every single study I've seen (not funded by big oil, that is) says we're in trouble sooner than later, but heavens forbid we tackle the problem together and address the waste and unnecessary development that is killing the only place we can live.

The solutions are not restricted to some communistic gulag, but rather a retooling for a smarter economy coupled with high tech energy, global cooperation and environmental cleaning techniques.

It's completely doable, yet the deniers fearful for their livelihoods or of higher taxation are doing a fine job of dooming us all.

The end will come fast... think "tipping point."

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You'd think the odds are pretty good that 1 of those 28 billion will be smart enough to solve these problems humanity will face. Unless we abort them...

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

There is plenty of water. Google "vertical farming" it will give you hope.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

There are plenty of people that can solve the problems. There tons of solutions to the problems the world faces NOW.

The only problem that can't be solved is greed. Those in power those that strive to control and stay above everyone else do not want the problems solved. It will be that way in the future only worse.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

I think you get the muslims to change their minds on women and so on and it could change dramatically within 2 generations.

Heh. Good luck with that.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

There is plenty of food. Start looking up how much food the world throws away daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

Population. There are several countries with an aging population. In several decades, they will have population decline.

Even if the earth's population doubled to 14 Billion in a few years, we would still have plenty of land, power, water, food for everyone.

This is where you're wrong.

Where is the resource coming from to keep 14 billion people happy??

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

People don't want to listen to reason. No matter how many times we say 'there won't be enough resources', they just don't want to listen.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This is where you're wrong.

Where is the resource coming from to keep 14 billion people happy??

What resources are you speaking of? The ones for Air Jordans, Apple phones, shiny cars with rims? How do we quantify happiness?

I am happy to eat once a day, and it doesn't matter what it is I eat, but I get to eat! I see so often on ATS these threads about how the evil rich enjoy their lavish life styles while we all suffer, but is suffering not in the eye of those willingly claiming victimhood?

If I have a roof over my head, and a belly full once a day of whatever I have to eat? It's all good for me! So explain Happiness for me!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join