It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush criticises Putin on Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
President Bush has launched his harshest critique yet on Russian President Putin on the state of Democracy and the Rule of Law within Russia. Bush expressed concern about the increasingly authoritarian path the Russian Government is taking.

Reuters President Bush took his strongest jab so far at the state of democracy and the rule of law in Russia on Monday, three days before he is due to meet President Vladimir Putin.

In a speech appealing for European support for his global campaign for democracy, Bush referred to widespread concerns that Putin has chosen an increasingly authoritarian path.

"For Russia to make progress as a European nation, the Russian government must renew a commitment to democracy and the rule of law," he told an audience in Brussels, headquarters of the 25-nation European Union and the NATO alliance

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You could question why Bush chose to publically share his misgivings with the state of Russian democracy just 3 days before his face to face meeting with President Putin.

Could there be a connection between this and Russia's change of tact with regards to how it views Ukraine and Georgia? A change from very close connections to viewing those countries as entirely sovereign nations.

Breaking that close tie could be Russia trying to insulate and isolate itself from popular uprisings for Democracy. As witnessed recently in both Ukraine and Georgia.

Bush's statements could be a prod and a nod to Russians to do the same in the coming elections.

[edit on 21-2-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 23-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Bush on a global campaign for "democracy" is like having Hannibal Lecter as the front person for veganism.

There is more to be concerned about regarding democratic and civil rights at home in the USA than in 100 Russias.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Bush on a global campaign for "democracy" is like having Hannibal Lecter as the front person for veganism.

There is more to be concerned about regarding democratic and civil rights at home in the USA than in 100 Russias.

I'd disagree with you there. I think you're overlooking the facts in your haste to make a point.

The Bush administration may smell rotten at times but Putins democrastic Russia is a decaying corpse.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Since when Russian is a "European nation"??? Who that guy is to decide if Russia should be part of the European Union or not? Did he ever had geopraphy courses in school?

Here's one proof, put within a few words, of the American empire.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
1. Russia most often considers itself part of Europe, due to trade and cultural factors.

2. Russia or anyone else do not consider it to be part or ever to be part of the European Union.

3. Despite being obviously hypocritical, Bush is perfectly right in showing "concern" at the state of democracy in Russia. It is indeed in dire condition, although in a different way than the freedom clampdowns in America.

4. Interesting what will happen when they meet. Both Bush and Putin are either insane or tend to view people as mere cattle. And each is interfering with the other's agenda...whatever those may be.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I'm going to second this......Democratic Russia or Communist Russia.....it has always been a decaying corpse. Back when Russia was a superpower, they spent most of their money in global pursuits. All they required from their citizens was the status-quo. Now, how successful , in any aspect, can you expect a transition to democracy with a society already versed in other doctrine........a democracy is made up of its citizens and it's going to take a generation or two for this to manifest itself in the collective unconscious that is the Russian population. To find a current day example, pay attention to how well democracy evolves in a strict religious environment, i.e. Iraq.

Bush harping on a country and government that, realistically, is still trying to define itself is ridiculous considering his own state of affairs. Considering the likelihood of only 15% of the conspiracys being contributed to him and his administration(law of averages.....something's got to be true), then Bush has no business critiquing anyone about Democracy.

Yet again, we have Bush mouthing off on ideologies...........the use of ideology, in this case "democracy", is usually only effective in appealing to the mindset of the audience as anyone well versed in any kind of logic will discern that there is no backbone to this press release..........

[edit on 21-2-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The Russian people, just like people today in the West, suffer from political apathy. Total democratic transtion is quite difficult when the citizenry are apathetic.

Just like today in the US, when the freedom of the American people is slowly being whittled away, the citizenry do not defend them, instead they hope that their leaders do not go too far. How can we expect Russians to care how "un-democratic" their government is
they just hope that Putin doesn't go too far.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Oh man, MA, you just made my day...up to now its been cr*p!

Thanks, buddy...that was the best!

ROTFLMAO!

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

MA, you made my night.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I personally think that this has been overblown and overhyped by the western media. Russian consolidation of power to the Kremlin isn't new in the Putin era of Russian Democracy, it began happening well into the Yeltsin days.

It is something of concern, yet I do not think it really is as bad as the western media would have us believe. You really gotta love an administration who cries about freedom and democracy yet uses 'free speech zones', brought in the patriot act and a president who said "dictatorship would be a hell lot easier". And what about the Florida 2000 debacle and also inconsistencies in the 2004 election in the United States, there were a lot of disenfranchised people.

If you really want to help the Russian people get a high level of freedom and democracy you'll give them every commercial oppurtunity to get rich and not slap them with sanctions which will only perpetuate things.

I personally see this as an excuse by the Bush Administration to curtail the recovery of the Russian Bear's economy, essentially kicking it in the teeth when it's down and trying to get back on its feet.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I believe that the reason for a personal attack on Putin government is due to the fact that Putin has challenged US publicly when it decided to said that they think Iran is using their nuclear power for energy and that Russia will continue helping them.

That is a strong statement when we know how US has trying all alone to portray Iran as an axis of evil. And now Russia is showing support and trust.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
That is a strong statement when we know how US has trying all alone to portray Iran as an axis of evil. And now Russia is showing support and trust.

You make an interesting point marg.......Russia did go out on a limb to support Iran even in the face of their history................

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
LOOK the economical weakening of Russia is a diliberate plann by non Russian's who have come to Russia as soon as communism was gone and LITERALY bought up 80% of all the State ownned companies, then they proceeded to fire 75% of ALL the work force then they "Masked" it by saying "Gorbichov's HYPER DE-Communisation is what caused all these companies to default!" I mean think about it just because you change the Government from Comunism to a Democracy doesn't mean that the Companies should start to fail, there's a many easy way to satisfy Russia's 1. Start printing 100TRILLION Rubles, without telling the public, then USE that Money to REstart the Economy, I mean even if the 100 Trillion is not backed up by anything (Gold) , thats what U.S.A. has doing for over 60+ years now www.new-enlightenment.com...

[edit on 21-2-2005 by SiberianTiger]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
This is what a Russian guy said about Bush's recent comments on another board I visit

I dont see gulags, censorship, mass arrests, or disappearences in Russia. I also dont see Putin nationalizing anything except Yukos and its fairly clear that in 3 years we will have another president. What more do you want from a developing country? Do you really expect for Putin to tolerate the same level of partisan infighting that you see in the West when the country can afford years of delay? Do you really expect that after Chechnya we would still tolerate a federal as opposed to unitary system of government? The US is the only truly functional federation on earth and even they had a civil war. Plus, its fairly clear that India and China will each get a large chunk of Yukos so claiming that its 100% nationalized in the communist tradition is ludicrous. He want to use Yukos to forge a new geopolitical alliance.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

What more do you want from a developing country? Do you really expect for Putin to tolerate the same level of partisan infighting that you see in the West when the country can afford years of delay

That says it all right there.......so if the citizens by and large(okay the ones here) understand the difficulties of political and economic cultivation, how inspiring is it for our president to say anything as bluntly and openly as he did regarding another country. To me, this is another example of Bush inciting ignorance.........

top topics

join