It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Reality Show,Fairness,Youtubers and Survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I could put this in rant I suppose,but it is a survival topic and a sort of PSA as well so I put it here.

About 5 years ago or so,a survival based reality show called Alone hit the airwaves. (youtube in my case)
After reading some youtube comments on a video,I needed to get this off my chest.

ALONE
The rules are.
You are allowed 10 items.
No camera crew so contestants have to film it themselves.
Last as long as you can,no time limit.

Last person standing wins $500 000

Although I get a kick out of the show,i see it as a dishonest game,based off survival.
It is a cross between Les Stroud's Survivorman and reality tv.

It is structured,which makes it dishonest (in reality) and turns it into a game. (a really entertaining one)

10 items,for instance,makes it a game and a game show and takes reality out of it because they are limited by "other people's rules".
If the situations these people find themselves in,dictates that they need to travel 20 miles for better resources to survive,they can't because they are limited to what the games rules are and have to generally stay in the area they are "given"

If I was foolish enough to think I could conquer nature while alone,the last thing I would do is allow someone to tell me where I could go,what I could have and what the rules are.
Nature's rules are more a reality than man's rules IMO.

So....it is entertaining but far from truthful.

FAIRNESS
They start everyone off to make it somewhat fair...I get it and I get why.(its a game show)
For me,the problem lies here.
Fairness is a man made concept,while natures concept of fairness,is not in line with man's concept of fairness.
You can't tell a bear that something isn't fair,the bear will be the bear no matter what your concepts or opinions are.
THATS reality!!

If someone is going to survive in nature,they should be aware first that nature doesn't care.

Our concept of fairness is a man made thing.
Since man is flawed and nature is perfect,our concept of fairness will never be as honest as nature's version.

YOUTUBERS
I have been almost obsessed with learning as much as I can,and I try to get out as much as I can to do things in real life instead of watching videos.
When watching youtube "survival experts" don't buy people's hype.

If you think of your last camping trip and what you brought with you,look at people doing "survival" videos and you will see they are doing what you did but with lighter gear (while trying to sell you something from their channel).
They are camping videos really,they have sleeping bags,cook kits,etc etc
They have the same things people take camping,only it fits into a smaller bag.
I call them specialized camping videos with small bits of good gear and camping tips....they are not survival videos.

Learn from people but don't be fooled into thinking you should do what they do,buy what they buy and think what they think.
We aren't born equal in strength,size,weight,hobbies,intellect and thoughts,so listen to yourself while still taking in information.
It is true what they say....know thyself.

Survival
Survival is a way of thinking and is a mindset.
It isn't about gear (although it helps),it is about the WILL to live.
It is about knowledge,getting by on your wits and hopefully some luck.

Nature is cruel,harsh,unforgiving and doesn't care.

In closing and in all fairness (pun intended) I ask,
If a hippy wanted to be one with nature,got eat eaten by a bear and pooped out....did he still get his wish??

I feel better now.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I have been almost obsessed with learning as much as I can,and I try to get out as much as I can to do things in real life instead of watching videos. When watching youtube "survival experts" don't buy people's hype.

I believe it was Discovery that got burned by hiring a youtube survival expert.

Nothing you watch anywhere is reality.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I think that was Dave Canterberry.
That was too bad because he is a pretty knowledgeable guy.

Ego always gets the best of people I guess.

Take nothing as gospel and have a few grains of salt in your pocket.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
a reply to: neo96

I think that was Dave Canterberry.
That was too bad because he is a pretty knowledgeable guy.

Ego always gets the best of people I guess.

Take nothing as gospel and have a few grains of salt in your pocket.

The part he lied about has nothing to do really with survival or his skill. He is probably doing much better off now with his channel and his school.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Wasn't just that.

Sons of Guns.

Horrible,Horrible,Horrible.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
We should all thank our greater powers for these shows...Nibiru is coming soon in 2021 and TPTB are now and have been for over several decades using MSM as an educational tool to prepare the masses for the near future....to show them what they can and cannot endure to prepare them.....they plan on riding out the Pole reversal and Vlar Global Continental Displacement Waves underground in massive shelters which will undoubtably as history has shown us be their graves.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

Stolen Valor to a degree, although he did serve. Just exaggerated his MOS. Although he may have learned the same things directly or secondhand.

As for his knowledge, he knows quite a bit. And I know where and from whom he learned a good bulk of it.

Never met nor had a conversation with him to know if his is sincere in his teaching or how he is just a persona or his actual demeanor. But he does have practical knowledge and you can learn things from his videos and practice until you get it down. His gear shop isn’t bad either if you are looking to spend money.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I bought the sling bow from his website and its pretty fun.
I also like how small and compact it is.

I like Canterberry,he actually knows his stuff and our interests are similar,as we both have interest in the fur trader days and the era of mountain men and bushmen.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Nibiru is coming soon

yep just around the corner in ...2012.

Oh no I missed it?

I can't believe that people still follow the nibiru nonsense.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I love that show. Though I do agree about the reality aspect of it. Because your right if I was truly surviving in the wild I would move where and when I needed to and I wouldn't have to follow any of the laws about what game I can hunt.

The recent episode had deer near him and he knew how to trap them but it is against the law were they where to trap deer. You can only shot them with a bow. I thought that was unfair for that guy.

I have a secret wish to be on this show one day.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Nibiru is coming soon

yep just around the corner in ...2012.

Oh no I missed it?

I can't believe that people still follow the nibiru nonsense.

Nope and I had no reason to believe 2012 was anything more than a dry run to give the masses a fighting chance....the 2000 scare was the same type of drill....it forces people to hoard resources and to learn to prepare and survive....after all the Elite will want to stay in their underground resorts as a few generations of slaves puts themselves back together so as to be servants...lol...the Movie 2012 is exactly what will go down and if you reverse the last 2 digits of the title you get the real arrival date.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

the 2000 scare was the same type of drill

And when it doesn't show up in 2021 your going to say the same thing right?

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

the 2000 scare was the same type of drill

And when it doesn't show up in 2021 your going to say the same thing right?

No I will celebrate that I have more time to prepare for the education and survival of those dear to me , if not my lifetime then soon after.

You see Oil IS A RENEWABLE RESOURCE and we make up a tidy bit of it.

new topics

top topics

join