It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Weighs Ban On Employee Cafeterias: Eat Lunch With The Rest Of Us

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: xuenchen

originally posted by: xuenchen
Guess they want everybody to use their "Plastic Credit Cards" 🤦

The only people who use cash [for lunch] are drug dealers and mobsters.

HAHAHAHA! Good one!

What are the locals saying about this? Are they gonna let this slide? Do they have a say?

This is absolutely absurd. OP you are right, this is a prime example of progressive’s fascism.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

In California, those wages are poor.

In many other areas of the country, those would be very comfortable wages, but not in California, and that's part of the problem that prompted this thread and so many others. That's how far the government mismanagement has skewed Cali's economy.

We live comfortably where we are at, but in order to have this same standard of living in Cali, any job my husband and I took would need to be an automatic wage increase of at least 1/3 again what we're making now to simply break even.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Can't tax a free lunch, ya? You're right to a point, but this law simply underlines how GD greedy places like San Fran are where those tax dollars (and the ensuing control over the people and their money) is concerned. It's still a disgraceful display of fascist garbage.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yeah, you know what?

I love exploring hole-in-the-wall places to eat too, but not because the city government here has forced me to. I do it because my husband and I love finding those little places.

However, KC also doesn't have a giant homeless population leaving used needles lying about and pooping on the streets, too.

We also don't live in a state with a mandatory $15/hr minimum wage putting mom and pop dives out of business, too.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Leaving work to eat?

The last job that I had that entailed doing things in an office, I shared one with two others but anyway, I can't even begin to count the number of times, during the busy season, which was generally January through October/November, 14-18 hours a day, I ate at my desk.

I had to be available if there were problems--and there are always problems--on the production floor or in the warehouse, especially if we were in the process of doing a large freight shipment, usually on the order of several million pounds of product, worth millions, if not tens of millions, of dollars. Or, available to talk Seattle based management, or worse, Oslo based buyers, down off the ledges. Those get screwed up, I'm out of a job, probably that day.

The whole notion of leaving work to eat, simply to bolster a cities tax revenue, is rather foreign to me. ...and if I wasn't eating at my desk, while on the phone, I'd be eating on a forklift while moving product into the loading area/platform.

This strikes me as a waste of time that could be used in a more productive manner.

(post by Alien Abduct removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Ahhhooo; hipsters are finding that it can be difficult to start a new mirco-foodery on every corner with their daddies money ... now they want big government to force people to eat their food. Everyone gets a trophy and everyone gets a good lunch crowd.

I've been stuck in San Francisco for the day with two kids while on vacation. I tried to buy them some breakfast/lunch around 11:00 am. I must have walked 6 city blocks in a circular trying to find something they would eat. There was a bakery, coffee shop or restaurant three to a block.... and they all had some weird variant of every day food. I would have picked one and just gobbled it down to get the substance I needed for the day ... but my kids wanted nothing to do with that... I'd go into a shop ask "hey do you have just a plane muffin" and the workers would look at me like I had two heads, they'd look at my two young kids and than back at me as if I was crazy for bringing them outside during the day. I wound up just buying something and picking it apart to get to the normal parts and my kids eat the crumbs. I would kill myself if I was forced to do that every day for lunch.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You can't force people to buy lunch...that's crazy.

I'd like to see the lawsuits and arrests from this one.

I bring food from home for lunch all the time. Do it when my kids are with me at work too. Have a fridge and microwave in my office. Not technically a cafeteria. I'd like to see someone force me to go outside and buy a lunch. Not happening. Would never happen. I'd end up in prison for sure.

Does anyone on ATS support this idea? It's nonsense.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, you know what?

I love exploring hole-in-the-wall places to eat too, but not because the city government here has forced me to. I do it because my husband and I love finding those little places.

In my 72 years - - - I have found forced social behavior for the good - - is beneficial.

Did not always think that way.

But, have found it to be so over the years.

You can disagree/argue all you want - - - but, I stand with my years of observation.

And before we go into any Hitler/Nazi stuff (its always inevitable) - - - of course there is extremism and the world is not perfect.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Yeah, you know what?

In my 72 years - - - I have found forced social behavior for the good - - is beneficial.

You can disagree/argue all you want - - - but, I stand with my years of observation.

And before we go into any Hitler/Nazi stuff (its always inevitable) - - - of course there is extremism and the world is not perfect.

But would you turn me in if you saw me eating a bag lunch at my desk at work if the ordinance was passed? What if I did that every day? Would you turn a blind eye or turn me in.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

Yeah, you know what?

But would you turn me in if you saw me eating a bag lunch at my desk at work if the ordinance was passed? What if I did that every day? Would you turn a blind eye or turn me in.

Does it say you can't bring a lunch from home and eat at your desk?

That seems a bit extreme.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Rules for thee, but not for me.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Yeah, you know what?

Yep, so does forcing someone to go out to lunch to eat. Authoritarianism at it's finest. All for the collective good, right?

Yeah, we get it, no one is going to change your mind. As usual, if this passes it will only make things worse for San Francisco. California remains one of the worst places to run a business. What part of that don't you get?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: artnut

Yeah, you know what?

Yep, so does forcing someone to go out to lunch to eat. Authoritarianism at it's finest. All for the collective good, right?

Yeah, we get it, no one is going to change your mind. As usual, if this passes it will only make things worse for San Francisco. California remains one of the worst places to run a business. What part of that don't you get?

Are you from or in San Francisco?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I guess the left only care about choice if it involves snuffing new life.

A big soda? No way! You are not responsible enough to make that decision! No Big Gulps for you!

Eating lunch in your office? No way! You can't experience the crappy city we have built around you if we allow you to choose to eat at work!

You want to kill a baby? Ok, cool, we're pro choice...

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Shoe fits.

Some paths are better left untrodden.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The progressive beast is eating it's own tail. They demand huge benefit packages from the people they work for, then they decide that government should determine what benefits businesses can give. Only it's progressive businesses they go after. The exact businesses that are trying to give employees the things that the progressives demand.

Could it be the that truth of progressivism is always wanting the opposite of the status quo, regardless of what the status quo happens to be?
edit on 7/26/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Used to live in Santa Clara. My son was born in Cupertino. Very familiar with the area (I even worked in Mountain View).

My uncle just moved from San Francisco, lived in a rent-controlled apartment for years. He couldn't stand it anymore, and that's saying a lot because he loved it there, especially since he is gay and very liberal and felt most welcome there. He was basically forced out because he could no longer afford to live there.

Surely, Annee, you see that this utopia they want is in no way sustainable. Most people don't want to be told how to live every facet of their life, and forced into poverty while doing it.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

- - - I have found forced social behavior for the good - - is beneficial.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That surprises you?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join