It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Weighs Ban On Employee Cafeterias: Eat Lunch With The Rest Of Us

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

They're not #ing banning cafeterias...they're banning places providing free lunch because these places have thousands of employees. They're not banning you from taking lunch, or eating lunch at your work. They're doing it because giant subsidized companies are basically taking over towns and providing nothing back. You can still eat your own food at work, you can still get your lunch paid for. Your boss just cant hire 5 star chefs and provide free meals for everyone every day. If you keep reading the article. They will even allow cafeterias if they're open to the genral public and supplied locally. The op's post is so full of bull# just like everything i read on here nowadays.

Those companies are providing very good, very high paying JOBS.
Are you ?
My guess is no.

Why should companies not be allowed to provide whatever freebies they want to attract and keep employees ?
That is between that business and the employees/jobs seekers.

You still don't see that you are being epic control freak.
Controlling others is normal to you
This is NONE of your business, or the city's
edit on 26-7-2018 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Many of us are asking that very question...

This makes no sense, in either the short term, or the long term. It's just another reason for companies to not locate there, or if already there, another reason to move.

Just odd.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

That's not the site it linked to before the edit.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Soooo do you have an opinion on the topic discussed in the OP?

For some reason you seem to not want to express your opinion on the discussion we are having here. So far you have made two posts and not one word on that actual discussion. Are you scared?
edit on 7/26/2018 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
There are always ways around such.

The first would be to charge, the employee for the cafeteria, where it is put into the paycheck and deducted, thus it is not free.

However, there is nothing to say prevent an employee from bringing their own lunch and still not eat out or go out to mingle. Many of those people may have to deal with the public all day long, and perhaps they want a half hour to an hour to get away from the public for a moments peace.

Personally I would do the prior, bring my own lunch in, sit and eat in the breakroom, and not go out.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Some of the West Coast tech firms are moving to the mid-west, as well. Des Moines, Omaha and Minneapolis are seeing an influx similar to Denver.

Interesting times.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This makes no sense what so ever. San Fran-"F'ing"-cisco want to end free lunches for tech companies for their employees, but the city itself wants to give free lunches out to the homeless. All because of a few new Restaurant owners didn't do their research on demographics before setting up shop.

Earlier in this thread a person posted a story from last month about the filth on the streets of San Francisco. In that article it states that the city is looking for a new revenue for it's growing homeless crisis. I'm willing to bet that after this move to ban free lunches, the city will turn around and force a permit that allows for these companies to continue to offer the program. Oh don't worry about those safe companies that are grandfathered in, they will need this permit if they choose to continue their program too. That's my bet, I bet this was eyed as their new revenue source.

Why didn't these restaurant owners open up in Oakland instead, just as much foot traffic, just as much prime areas, and not as many homeless issues laying about. Not to mention Oakland is an up and coming area in the area of food service and entertainment. They should have jumped on board of that boat before it's too late. Crappos, those restaurant owners could have even did something smart like provide high end food truck service to the area instead of a sit down business model, but no instead they just pressed the issue with the city to force businesses to new rules and regulations about what work-perks they can and can't offer.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Oh yes it is... the quotes are directly from the article.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

You mean in 6 minutes of her commenting that you didnt go and doctor the original post and then post a followup acting as if it was ModBee all along, and that she didnt notice then and call it out real quick?!?!?!?!?!?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Clearly that belief would be easier than understanding that progressives really do what to dictate your life.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You mean in 6 minutes of her commenting that you didnt go and doctor the original post and then post a followup acting as if it was ModBee all along, and that she didnt notice then and call it out real quick?!?!?!?!?!?

LOL,

I was like "nazi site?'

I had to go back to the article, go to their homepage and double check to make sure it was a local paper in their "about" section since I don't live in CA.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Well, you seem somewhat reasonable.

What I see is like towns that were once thriving -- until a FWY was built next to it -- now no one stops there anymore -- and the town dies.

Metaphor, of course -- SF is not going to die -- but, it's not going to thrive either.

If a business is built out of town -- I can see the need for an employee cafeteria.

But, if it's in the heart of the city -- I clearly see the issue.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So a company brings in 2000 high paying jobs, that people move there for, but if those employees dont hit the foot beat at lunchtime and waste time waiting in line at the local Subway MackyD's blah blah blah, then the city is going to fold?

Sounds like good riddance if I've ever heard it.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Well, you seem somewhat reasonable.

What I see is like towns that were once thriving -- until a FWY was built next to it -- now no one stops there anymore -- and the town dies.

Metaphor, of course -- SF is not going to die -- but, it's not going to thrive either.

If a business is built out of town -- I can see the need for an employee cafeteria.

But, if it's in the heart of the city -- I clearly see the issue.

Every space downtown doesn’t need to be a restaurant. If there isn’t enough demand for restaurants then they shouldn’t be there. That same space could be used for something that people do want and will use.

What do you think about that?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Supply & Demand???

Are you insane??

The .gov will determine what stays and what goes.

FFS!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Supply & Demand???

Are you insane??

The .gov will determine what stays and what goes.

FFS!

I wonder what the advocates for this ban would propose the city do if all the workers actually got together (possibly along with the backing of the respective companies) and implemented some sort of thing that allowed the workers to be able to bring their lunch to work free or reduced. And on top of that if they could even get many more people that usually go downtown to eat to actually participate along with them and essentially boycott downtown in response.

I wonder if the city would change their mind then.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I surmised n Page 1 that people getting together as equals at lunch time and socializing each other, thus becoming "problems", was likely part of the long term logic here. I cant speak to these ultra super mega uber kosher jobs with 27 Star chefs cooking up free meals for thousands of people per lunch, but every lunch scene I've been part of half the people brought their lunch and the other half go run to fast whatever food joint, pay a lot more money for it, then by time get back have to RUSH eating all that 'goodness', so those that brought lunch with them peeps tends to lecture the idiocy of that ethos. In the cafeteria' is where it all comes to the focal point. BAN it!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I recall during Obama's Era, lots of talk about his reign being "Anti-Success".

From micro to macro scales on this ordeal, it all SCREAMS of that kind of noise.

Successful company can 'spoil' their workers based on the Success they brging the Company = BAN it.

Workers not having to hassle making a lunch in the morning as part of their morning prep to go to work = BAN it.

Workers not having to leave the premises, and severe their whole train of thought, during lunch hour = BAN it.

F'a me-me!

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
In a pragmatic observation, many companies benefit from having cafeteria internal. Some, have huge cafe's that are so much better than external eateries. They benefit because employees actually solve problems and discuss work related events when they are at lunch.

The employees benefit from having a reasonable lunch cost and a comfortable environment to eat in.

The option to go somewhere for lunch, or eat at the cafeteria is a given option, and trying to dissolve that is detrimental to business, as a whole. (IMO)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

LIES!

Thousands of workers, surely making them all go get in their cars and go crowd lines at every food spot within a 3.749475 mile radius is the way to go.

Cant even believe You People.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join