It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Executive decision.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Anyone saw this movie with K.Russel? Now I want to know if it is possible to do it (at least teoretically) - is it possible with some special equipment to connect to the Boeing 747 during the flight and get on board? Or are the turbulences too powerfull?

For those who never saw the movie - it has a little resebmblance to the 9/11. Group of terrorist hijacks the transatlantic plane and rig a nerve gas bomb to it. They are planning to detonate it over East coast. The CIA discovers the plot and want to shot the plane down. US SOF takes a special plane (in movie a F-117
) and they connect it with 747 during flight over Atlantic (with some adhesive pressurized popup tunel)and get onboard through some kind of maintance doors, or something like that.

Also that technician talked something like the special plane(Remora) is used by USAF to exchange the crews of B-52 during the flight, does something like this exist? Or were some plans made for it? Or just another Hollywood fantasy?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well, theres nothing TECHINICALLY stopping midair transfers, but there are a few issues:

1. Turbulence, as you stated - but this can be managed
2. Pressurisation of the aircraft - either pressurise the transfer system and seal it to the aircraft, or depressurise both planes either partially or fully

Aircraft routinely get very very close when carrying our air to air refueling, so I dont see any reason why a crew transfer system couldnt be created to do what they do in the film - granted I wouldnt ever want to do it myself, but theres nothing really standing in your way.

I have never heard of crew transfer systems being proposed or created - but no doubt that back in the 1950s it was at least touched on. One thing I never understood about that film tho was why, if it was for transfering crews on and off B-52s, was the damn thing stealthy? I mean, when its attached to a freaking great big rock like the B-52, whoes going to care about its little appendage?! Personally I think they meant the B-2, which would make more sense.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
One thing I never understood about that film tho was why, if it was for transfering crews on and off B-52s, was the damn thing stealthy? I mean, when its attached to a freaking great big rock like the B-52, whoes going to care about its little appendage?! Personally I think they meant the B-2, which would make more sense.

I don't remeber them saying "Remora" is stealthy, I think they used F-117, just because it looks "cool".

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Given where the hatches are positioned on most aircraft I find this sort of air2air transferral unlikely.

Possibly, however, a purpose built type of aircraft would be able to achieve this in reasonable weather.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Anyone saw this movie with K.Russel? Now I want to know if it is possible to do it (at least teoretically) - is it possible with some special equipment to connect to the Boeing 747 during the flight and get on board? Or are the turbulences too powerfull?

For those who never saw the movie - it has a little resebmblance to the 9/11. Group of terrorist hijacks the transatlantic plane and rig a nerve gas bomb to it. They are planning to detonate it over East coast. The CIA discovers the plot and want to shot the plane down. US SOF takes a special plane (in movie a F-117
) and they connect it with 747 during flight over Atlantic (with some adhesive pressurized popup tunel)and get onboard through some kind of maintance doors, or something like that.

look at the when the movie was made. then look at when Al Qaeda has stated that they first thought of using comercial aircraft as tactical weapons. you'll find the their time is close to when this movie came out to theaters

this scenario was brought to you by the "Deparment of Pointing Out the Obvious"

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Pure fantasy, the tube they stick out of the top of the F-117 to allow it to attach to the 747 would make any flight control system crazy.
I happened to see this movie with some guys who work for Smith industries and they all

new topics

top topics

join