It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet speed is slooooow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Really slow. Pages loading real slow, videos not buffering, simple tasks like selecting add-ons and settings takes ages too.

Anyone else?

Recently installed windows 10 and it's made firefox real slow on some sites but on microsoft edge they run well and vice versa.

Really makes me wanna smash the PC to bits. Should of stayed with xp, I've been using that uptil last month... only switched now coz firefos aren't supporting it anymore and chrome stopped a couple years back but despite this, pages loaded quick and videos buffered in and live streaming was working. Chrome on windows 10 is Shxx

Also earlier i had download speeds of around 4.5mb, now its down to 350kb
edit on CDTWed, 25 Jul 2018 15:11:43 -05000000003103x143x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Summer vacation. Too hot outside in the west, too rainy in the east... kids all over

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If you've been using XP, that's a pretty old computer. XP was released in 2001 and ran until 2008. It hasn't been supported in any meaningful way since 2014. It has a market share of 2.5%. I'm guessing your computer has insufficient memory and CPU power to run 10 at all.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Who is your internet provider?

How old is your machine? Is it the same setup you used for XP?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Sounds like might need to go in to the router settings, and make sure you and your stuff is only what's connected.

Clear cache,cookies, and dns.

When all else fails reboot.

That don't work.

Take a sledge hammer to it and send it to the dump.

A few friendly suggestions.
edit on 25-7-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Really slow. Pages loading real slow, videos not buffering, simple tasks like selecting add-ons and settings takes ages too.

Anyone else?

Recently installed windows 10 and it's made firefox real slow on some sites but on microsoft edge they run well and vice versa.

Really makes me wanna smash the PC to bits. Should of stayed with xp, I've been using that uptil last month... only switched now coz firefos aren't supporting it anymore and chrome stopped a couple years back but despite this, pages loaded quick and videos buffered in and live streaming was working. Chrome on windows 10 is Shxx

Also earlier i had download speeds of around 4.5mb, now its down to 350kb

Clean your cookies, get rid of scripts, and use crapcleaner to clean up your processes and dump your caches.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Recently installed windows 10

And got the Specter/Meltdown patches ?
Windows 10 requires a fair amount of memory and HDD space
Modern browsers require 2gb of memory/page themselves.
So many reasons.....

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Who is your internet provider?

How old is your machine? Is it the same setup you used for XP?

It is the same setup. It's about 8 years old and in very good condition. I'm going to continue with a full disc clean tmrw and see if that helps although I did clean the whole disk and started from a boot up disk installing windows 7 before changing to windows 10

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
If you've been using XP, that's a pretty old computer. XP was released in 2001 and ran until 2008. It hasn't been supported in any meaningful way since 2014. It has a market share of 2.5%. I'm guessing your computer has insufficient memory and CPU power to run 10 at all.

I think it does have the power although processor speed is pretty low at 1.66ghz.

Just finished watching the purge, that's why I'm replying now.
edit on CDTWed, 25 Jul 2018 16:55:27 -05000000003104x127x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Yesterday, I found 11.5k of junk files left on my disk from windows 10. 11.5k

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

So many reasons.....

2GB per page? 91Gb free of 148 on drive C and an external drive with an extra 53.4GB free. I have plenty of storage and a RAM of 2GB

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I did all the quick cleaning... havn't done the full clean as yet because it takes many hours to do so but i'll set that one tmrw morning

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
BTW.. ATS SEEMS TO BE FINE.... RUNNING AT USUAL PACE AND PAGES LOADING NICELY.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

So many reasons.....

2GB per page? 91Gb free of 148 on drive C and an external drive with an extra 53.4GB free. I have plenty of storage and a RAM of 2GB

No , not 2gb per page. The amount of physical ram + virtual page that is required by the application once it is cached.
There are requirements , then you have recommended
Required = Just enough to limp along
Recommended = Just enough to walk at a slow pace.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I also have fibreband which is supposed to make everything faster

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

I also have fibreband which is supposed to make everything faster

Ah , you have a fiber connection .?
Do you go through a router that is fiber then by CAT 5 or 6 to the PC ?
Or do you have a fiber adapter in the PC ?
Either way you need at least a 1 gb capable adapter.
That really makes a difference as with a copper connection (FCoE) you are not getting the throughput that you should
(And , you are nowhere close if going over wireless).
Should be fiber to the router , and fiber to a fiber card in the PC

But , back to the original problem :
If you cleared cache and cookies and the issue was corrected , do a search for increasing Firefox cache.
You have enough HDD space
Also , if you do have a fiber connection , you may want to increase the Windows Page File size. Google that as well
With fiber , you have an amazing theoretical bandwidth . If one knows how to utilize it.

Microsoft is pushing down the new Windows 10 Insider Preview . I will be offline for a while.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I'd start with trying to identify the exact source of the slowness.

Go to a site like speedtest.net and look at your Internet speed. It could be that the total speed is OK but the ping time is bad.

Also, if you have lots of other devices on your local network, a bad or noisy network adapter could be slowing things. Try turning off & unplugging these other things and see if the problem goes away.

Also, sometimes device drivers can be at issue. Generally, I find that the default Windows drivers are the best but sometimes you need to get the manufacturers driver for your hardware (I wouldn't recommend the 'driver updater' type auto-detection of drivers because if the Windows default drivers didn't auto-detect properly, chances are the 3rd party supplied auto-detection won't necessarily fare any better).

Run the Windows Resource Monitor (resmon.exe). Look for anything that appears 'maxed out' all the time in the graphs (not spikes, but full time at max). Those are problems.

Also, there is a Reliability Monitor (perfmon.exe /rel) as well that can quickly identify applications and devices that fail.

If you have found something in the Resource Monitor that is always at full, you can use the Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe) to look at the specifics and really zoom down to the basic issue.

Finally, there are other things like Wireless settings and DNS settings that can contribute to your Internet experience. Generally these are handled very well by Windows 10 but if everything else looks reasonable, I'd go back after dealing with the other things and test these things out, too.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Did you know you can buy refurbished desktops (with warranty) from ~£89? Some stores do pay monthly too so you could be looking at £7 a month for something that's not ancient. Laptops can go for as little as £60.

This'll sound counter-intuitive so buckle in...

When the owner of an old laptop/desktop starts doing registry cleaners, disc cleanups and adding 'speed up' apps, it's because the device is hitting the end of its life. All that scrubbing and cleaning eventually ruins the HD and things start to slow down.

Why not look locally at high street PC shops and see what their offers are? You might be surprised how far a few quid goes.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Yesterday, I found 11.5k of junk files left on my disk from windows 10. 11.5k

11.5k ? Did you open it in notepad? It's that small, it would open easily. You won't even have to use wordpad.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

So many reasons.....

2gb ram and paging. Doesn't matter if you had a 10TB HDD, you have 2GB ram. that's not enough at all for win10. 2GB will mean everything is slow... but it won't affect your internet speeds. so the issue you're experiencing has nothing to do with that.

Seriously, get windows 7. Your machine is not equipped to run win10. a 1.6GHZ processor, 2GB ram.. My old machine (this one, I call it old, because it's OLD) has a Q6600 2.4GHz processor which is ok, and 4GB ram which is not.

I had win10, and I loved it. For me, it had the best of the recent OS's but the usability of a considered OS. Yet it was just too overbearing with services and things, and every time I had to reinstall, running all the powershell commands to remove the rubbish was tedious, and over time, I found broke things. I eventually went back to W7, and found it was far better. No cortina, no store, no unnecessary bollocks.

As to your internet speeds, it could be simply a fault at your ISP end, the cables between you and the node, or something else. NIC drivers generally don't need anything more than to enable your device and as you are still on the net, I don't see it as a NIC driver issue.

Clearing your cookies, etc, won't change a thing. I'd be looking at what your ISP is doing, first. As mentioned, do a speedtest. ookla speedtest is reliable. pick servers close to you to see if it is you, then pick servers in other countries to see if it is an issue outside.

Or ... reinstall windows, change your shoes, eat more vegetables, don't look at naughty things, and see if that helps, as others seem to indicate!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join