It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU gives in to Trump to avoid trade war...more winning!!!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs
Materialism—A Deadly Philosophy (1965)

“AFFLUENT SOCIETY HAS LED TO MATERIALISM,” read a boldfaced headline in the Edinburgh (Scotland) Evening News of May 18, 1963. “POSSESSIONS NOW ‘MORE IMPORTANT THAN PEOPLE,’” the secondary headline continued.
The materialistic philosophy embraced by godless communism, namely, that ‘the highest values of living lie in material well-being and in the furtherance of material progress,’* is as closely adhered to in Christendom as it is in Communist lands. [*: Webster’s Third New International Dictionary.] Observed a news commentator in U.S. News & World Report (October 19, 1959): “America stands self-hypnotized hugging the Communist philosophy of life with all the zip and gusto of a parvenu nation. . . . America, in clear violation of her own past traditions and the beliefs of her Founding Fathers, has today accepted this deadly philosophy in toto.” Not only is this materialistic outlook prevalent in America; it is characteristic of much of the world.

WHY DEADLY

But why is materialism called a “deadly philosophy”? ‘In what way is it deadly?’ you may ask. ‘Do not nice homes, fine clothes and good food bring happiness and a sense of well-being? Therefore, is it not realistic to make one’s goal the obtaining of these material things? Why, it is only practical to place the highest value on material well-being and the furtherance of material progress!’ [whereislogic: or economic progess in the context of this thread]

This is rapidly becoming the attitude of the majority of Christendom’s population. But “this belief, which has been lifted straight from Karl Marx’s ‘Manifesto,’ has obscured America’s vision,” lamented the above-quoted news commentator. It “has made American theoreticians and statesmen the sappers and miners of world Communism, and has made American propaganda a complement to the Kremlin’s campaign of lies.”

... Materialism is not based on the teachings of God-fearing men, but, rather, is in line with the teachings of the father of modern-day communism, Karl Marx. ...

Regarding this, one wise servant of God long ago wrote: If I put my confidence in gold or said to fine gold, ‘You are my security!’ if I found my joy in my great wealth because of the many possessions I acquired; . . . Then that would be an error deserving punishment by the judges, for I would have denied the true God above.”—Job 31:24-28.

How different Jesus’ teachings are from the popular materialistic attitude of today!—Matt. 6:19-33.

But despite these words of Jesus, many people, even church members like Trump or those who support(ed) him (either by endorsements, complimentary speech or votes), feel it is unreasonable to put the worship of God first in their lives. They relegate it to a secondary place. Why is this so? It is because they have not really been instructed in the teachings of God’s Word, but have instead been regularly indoctrinated with materialistic philosophy. Note what the Nation magazine said relative to the shift of values in support of materialism:

“The shift of values inevitably has caused some strain in the American ethical consciousness. Frugality, once a virtue, is now a threat to the economy. Debt for the sake of indulgence, once impossible or sinful, now promotes prosperity. Where once greed was opposed to human welfare, we now hear that greed (both for profits and for consumers’ goods) is a public benefit. Traditional faith taught, ‘You cannot serve God and mammon’; editorialists today tell us, ‘You serve God and society best by serving mammon.’”—Matt. 6:24.

mammon: wealth regarded as an evil influence or false object of worship and devotion. It was taken by medieval writers as the name of the devil of covetousness, and revived in this sense by Milton. (source: google dictionary)

Matthew 6:24

“No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. You cannot slave for God and for Riches*. [Or, “Mammon.” Greek, ma·mo·naiʹ, dative]

Song 62 To Whom do you Belong (Vocal Renditions)
edit on 29-7-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
America first..
trump just keeps showing how weak the rest of the world really is. And they need us alot more than we need them.

None of them have any balls.

Principles of What Sort?

We do well to bear in mind, however, that principles may be either good or bad. For example, an increasing number of people are motivated by what, for the last decade or so, has been identified as me-ism. Though many may not know the term or may feel that it does not apply to them, me-ism is a principle by default, that is, a code of conduct that many resort to as they abandon high standards of behavior. Whether identified by that term or not, me-ism is a manifestation of selfishness, often accompanied by mindless materialism. “We have just two principles,” claimed a TV executive in China. “One is satisfying demand. The other is making money.”
The spread of that attitude is particularly observable during what Bible prophecy calls “the last days,” marked by “critical times hard to deal with.” Many people are “lovers of themselves.” Small wonder that we find ourselves under pressure to copy the me-first approach.—2 Timothy 3:1-5. [whereislogic: that text also mentions "lovers of money"]

Many people today show no regard for the needs of others. [whereislogic: you can thank Trump's fanclub across the world for the excessive demonstration of the reliability of Bible prophecy with their "America first" slogan and the resulting behaviour and attitudes]

Source: Your Choice of Principles

The expression “lovers of themselves” well describes the “me generation,” which refers to those who have been brought up with the emphasis on assertiveness, individualism, and self-expression. This spirit, which permeates “the air” around us, is in direct opposition to the Bible’s counsel that Christians be “keeping an eye, not in personal interest upon just [their] own matters, but also in personal interest upon those of the others.” (Ephesians 2:2, 3; Philippians 2:4) The result? A generation raised with the idea of ‘do your own thing’ is surely not going to care much about how their behavior will affect others.

Source: Cultivating Christian Manners in an Unmannerly World

Coming back to the "America first" slogan:

The Manipulation of Information

Some propagandists play on pride. ...

Slogans and Symbols

Slogans are vague statements that are typically used to express positions or goals. Because of their vagueness, they are easy to agree with.

For example, in times of national crisis or conflict, demagogues may use such slogans as “My country, right or wrong,” “Fatherland, Religion, Family,” or “Freedom or Death.” But do most people carefully analyze the real issues involved in the crisis or conflict? Or do they just accept what they are told?

In writing about World War I, Winston Churchill observed: “Only a signal is needed to transform these multitudes of peaceful peasants and workmen into the mighty hosts which will tear each other to pieces.” He further observed that when told what to do, most people responded unthinkingly.

Part 6—Blackshirts and Swastikas

Nationalism: “Nationalism divides humanity into mutually intolerant units. As a result, people think as Americans, Russians, Chinese, Egyptians or Peruvians first, and human beings second​—if at all.”​—Conflict and Cooperation Among Nations, Ivo Duchacek.

Something Better than Nationalism

Pitting nations or races against one another does not make sense, since we all had common parents.

The late British historian Arnold Toynbee said of nationalism: “It is a state of mind in which we give our paramount political loyalty to one fraction of the human race . . . whatever consequences this may entail for the foreign majority of the human race.”

Because nationalism is so divisive and destructive, Toynbee said of it: “Nationalism is a mental disease.” And former United Nations Secretary-General U Thant observed: “So many of the problems that we face today are due to, or the result of, false attitudes​—some of them have been adopted almost unconsciously. Among these is the concept of narrow nationalism​—‘my country, right or wrong.’”

Racist feelings nourish what nationalism teaches children from infancy, namely, that hating your nation’s enemies is not wrong. An essay by George M. Taber, a Time contributor, noted: “Of all the political isms of history, perhaps the strongest is nationalism.” He went on to explain: “More blood has been shed in its name than for any other cause except religion. Demagogues for centuries have stirred up fanatical mobs by blaming all their troubles on some neighboring ethnic group.”

Long-standing hatred of other ethnic groups, races, or nationalities is behind many of the problems in today’s world. And xenophobia, fear of strangers or foreigners, is on the increase. Interestingly, however, a group of German sociologists discovered that xenophobia is most marked where few foreigners live. This seems to prove that it is more often caused by prejudice than by personal experience. “Young people’s prejudices are fostered mainly by their friends and families,” the sociologists found. Indeed, 77 percent of those interviewed, even though they endorsed the prejudice, had no direct contact, or very little, with foreigners.

Teaching the lesson of selfishness is not difficult, for all of us have inherited a measure of selfishness from imperfect parents. ...

Source: A World Taught to Hate
edit on 29-7-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85

As someone who voted Brexit, this royally ticks me off. Not because I hate America or Trump and all that other blather that people would normally spout but because we've listened to the EU figure heads talk about a free trade between the UK (post Brexit) and the EU ONLY if we accept free movement of people (even though that should actually be free movement of labour not people) and yet they talk about a free trade deal with the US and how will free movement work with the States? Oh that's right none at all and this is the problem with the EU it picks and chooses what laws it has to follow but forces other countries to follow the law to the letter.

Actually the UK can negotiate an FTA, but only after Brexit, it will just take years of negotiations, it took Japan 7 years to negotiate their FTA with the EU and it will probably take as long (or more) to implement it. Trade deals are not something you can agree and implement quickly. The US doesn't have an FTA yet, Trump and Juncker have only agreed to start negotiations soon, and it will take years to finalize it. And bear in mind Free Trade Agreement doesn't mean free of barrier, it just means less barriers.

The problems is that the UK has its major/vital industries so connected to the SM and CU that it needs a good agreement that will allow them to survive (talking about aero, pharma, finance, etc). And whatever CU agreement the UK wants, it will only be accepted if it doesn't clash with the EU regulations (regulations the UK helped create and implement since it joined the EU).

Trade deals agreements may sound simple, but they actually are the opposite, especially when dealing with the Worlds biggest trading bloc.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: AutisticEvo

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: notsure1
a reply to: DJW001

So wait the MSM is trying to spin it as bad as they can for Trump? WOW..They never do that..

Reliable source LOLOLOL..

Thread title is exactly right and the they caved, You know it they know it everybody knows it lol..

The EU will probably insist on Trump making agreements unfavorable to Britain.

Unfavorable to Britain? which is called Caving. glad to see you agree with the OP

Is today Opposite Day or what?

He misspoke. Read what was wrote to which I replied slowly
No need to get sensitive over me giving you eager beavers the raZZ, you do know what dry humor is yes?

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join