It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The foolishness of the "You're only supporting XYZ because Trump proposed it" narrative

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: burdman30ott6
I remember my grandfather talking to me when I was a kid, and telling me how important manufacturing was. He was an engineer for GE, but he had a good mind for politics in general, before Dementia got a hold of him. Then years later, when I was more concerned with my family and business, I remember hearing the smart older folks taking about how the USA doesn't "make" anything anymore. And you start to look around, everything is "made in X", and X wasn't USA. Now we look at the towns and empty buildings all over and realize that a really large portion of the manufacturing left.

Maybe the way Trump is going about it is wrong. Maybe the tariffs will backfire and bad things will happen. But I'm also reminded of the definition of insanity. (doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results) He's trying something, it's drastic, but it might just be enough to spark the manufacturing fire and give it some fuel.

If we don't start making stuff again, then when the robotic workforce starts up, they won't be taking lunch breaks or vacations. And other than Utopian lunatics, nobody in the real world is going to pay you to do nothing. (at least pay you enough to enjoy life)

Trying to compete against robotic workers with human labor is insane, better of redesigning the manufacturing plants for automation, obviously that doesn't solve the unemployment issues but I'm not sure at this point anything can.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yes, that's the trillion dollar question. How do we adapt to less jobs due to automation? No one has a good answer to that worldwide.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Thank you for not reading my statement.

I said maybe other states should look to WHY they have trade deficits. Instead of blowing up the whole thing because some states bring in more then they send out to those places.

Maybe those states that have a deficit with Canada are importing raw materials to build things to sell to somewhere other then Canada.

Just #ing the whole thing over a number that doesnt take full economic output is stupid.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We aren't in the TPP are we?

Well it appears fro now that we may have dodged a bullet.

My argument is that there is never a true free market. Thats why I mentioned dumping - the butter and soybean mountains have been subsidized by the American taxpayer since forever.

Tariffs have never worked in the long run. The extra charge is picked up by the consumer of the country imposing the tariff.

wiki

Who loses from the tariff?

With a tariff in place, imported goods cost more. This decreases pressure on domestic producers to lower their prices. In both ways, consumers lose because prices are higher. Thus, consumers lose but domestic producers gain when a tariff is imposed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join