It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreign radio stations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
When I'm pottering around the house I usually have a radio station from another country streaming out loud. It's different, I imagine being there, from a beach party broadcast in Jamaica, to Falkland Islands radio or even Kazakhstan lol.
Well today I'm listening to Mix 99.3 based in Crossville TN. It's a music station and I was expecting country music, but no, it's been mostly pop and British pop at that, from The Beatles to Phil Collins lol, aside from the different adverts, news, and weather I'd think I was listening to my local station Pirate FM lol

Anyway, if you have suggestions of your favourite local radio station please do share here and I'll have a listen. I love how different our worlds are and it is almost like travelling in my mind when I listen to foreign broadcasts.
Local 'talk' radio stations are great as well so if you know of any good ones that are locally based and could be interesting or make me chuckle please do share here.

Thanks in advance,
CCG

EDIT
Just heard a public information advert on the radio and apparently TN has the lowest voter turnout of all US states. Learned something new lol.
edit on 25-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't have any suggestions but I like your vicarious concept and I'm listening to your Pirate station (70s) now.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

100.5 The KATT...from Oklahoma and on Tuesday nights they have a “totally TOOL” night. ‘Tis amazing I must say.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Haha brilliant! I don't listen to Pirate 70's much but I do like 70's tunes

It's cool listening to something different, I get bored with the same old adverts on my local radio, same news I already know etc.
I've even had song requests and shout outs sharing the love on other country's radio after contacting the shows presenting team, that is good fun in my childlike way.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Listening to it now, just at the start of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

Nice one! I think due to the timezone I shall be asleep and miss 'Totally Tool' though haha!

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Listening to it now, just at the start of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

Nice one! I think due to the timezone I shall be asleep and miss 'Totally Tool' though haha!

It is what it is LOL. Glad I could help though

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm back to Mix 99.3 from TN again now, they just played the track that was number one in the UK charts when I was born, just been jumping around the house to it haha.
All suggestions welcome folks, and as I said any local talk radio is interesting listening to local problems like bears being sighted in town or whatever.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

You might like Radio Garden ... it's an online stroll through radio stations world wide. Sometimes I randomly pick a spot on the globe and find radio stations playing in that area.

Radio Garden

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Channel 103, from the Channel Islands.

It's pants, sorry 😂

Channel 103 Radio

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

The Wall 101.7 From Geneva NY

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the suggestions so far folks, I notice some radio stations don't stream to the EU though, damn that internet censorship! If I don't reply to you I will have given you a star in appreciation

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Don't really have any specific suggestions but sometimes when I feel like streaming some radio I go Surfmusic.

Also, if you're crafty you can make a desktop shortcut for a station you like and it can play through your media player.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Oooooh I like ... I can pick genre! Rock!

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink
That's a good site, cheers

I usually find myself reading something random online, say news around the world, or something on ATS whatever, then search for a radio station in the area. Local news is brilliant, from places with the lead story being something like 'bears spotted in town', to '3 killed in bar violence' etc, I find it fascinating. The different styles of music are interesting as well, and getting a shout-out on a foreign radio station is fun.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: deltaalphanovember

You might like Radio Garden ... it's an online stroll through radio stations world wide. Sometimes I randomly pick a spot on the globe and find radio stations playing in that area.

Radio Garden

Yeah, that's fun---kind of brings the world radio experience to life running around the globe and dropping in that way.

This brought back a memory that made me realize why I like this. When I was a lad my father brought home an old shortwave that still worked and I was really in to seeing what we could pick up from all over. Right now I'm on some station in the middle of the ocean about as far away from land as possible---somewhere off Africa.

Great threads sometimes come in small packages, OP.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Oddly enough I dropped in on a few radio stations on the Cape Verde Islands off North Africa a short while ago. Flew over to Melbourne, Australia, and finally settled on BurnFM in Germany.

Somedays I hate the internet, and somedays I wonder how I lived without it.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: deltaalphanovember

So true, it's like travelling the world listening to other people's local radio.
The GUT's story reminded me of being aged 12 or so listening to French radio stations on medium wave at night. I couldn't understand them but I'd listen in bed, shut my eyes, and pretend I was in France

edit on 25-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: clarity

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'm in Guam now, KZGU 99.5 FM, pretty chilled tunes, chilling advert just now though, hotline for a people smuggling service explaining that employers can't hold people's passports and stuff. Different worlds.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Haha classic, I do that too. Scrounge around radio stations from other countries to get a glimpse of what people I'll never know, are listening to. I prefer talk radio to music though, people calling in, topical things, local.

You ever want to hear what's happening in my little ol' city, try 6PR from midnight on. Sure the host is a complete twat, sickeningly so, but the callers are a slither into the lonely late nights of a city on the far end of the country at the arse end of the planet

www.6pr.com.au...
edit on 26-7-2018 by SummerRain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

Haha cheers for the link, I'm listening now, they are moaning about some graffiti art which was commissioned by the transport authority at some train station. It's quite interesting.

top topics

join