It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Lake of Liquid Water Detected on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Just a mile or so beneath the surface, near the south pole of Mars, there is a reservoir of briny water sloshing and churning below layers of ice and rock. This subglacial lake, discovered by a ground-penetrating radar on the Mars Express spacecraft, is about 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) wide and perhaps no more than a meter deep. Its discovery is the latest piece of evidence that suggests water was not only present on Mars in the past but is still flowing in some capacity today. The findings, if confirmed by future observations, would be the most significant discovery of liquid water on Mars to date.

The most intriguing possibility is that this Martian lake is not alone, but rather part of an extensive network expanding across the south polar region of Mars. “Data provide some hints that this single lake is not a unique finding

So there is water on Mars, or is there?

But before we envision such a thing, follow-up observations must confirm that this one lake really does exist. Because for all the exciting data that has been obtained by MARSIS, there is one major problem: Another radar orbiting Mars, the Shallow Radar (SHARAD) on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), has not been able to detect the underground reservoir at all.

I guess we'll have to wait...

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

Just a mile or so beneath the surface, near the south pole of Mars, there is a reservoir of briny water sloshing and churning below layers of ice and rock. This subglacial lake, discovered by a ground-penetrating radar on the Mars Express spacecraft, is about 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) wide and perhaps no more than a meter deep. Its discovery is the latest piece of evidence that suggests water was not only present on Mars in the past but is still flowing in some capacity today. The findings, if confirmed by future observations, would be the most significant discovery of liquid water on Mars to date.

The most intriguing possibility is that this Martian lake is not alone, but rather part of an extensive network expanding across the south polar region of Mars. “Data provide some hints that this single lake is not a unique finding

But before we envision such a thing, follow-up observations must confirm that this one lake really does exist. Because for all the exciting data that has been obtained by MARSIS, there is one major problem: Another radar orbiting Mars, the Shallow Radar (SHARAD) on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), has not been able to detect the underground reservoir at all.

I guess we'll have to wait...

I think it's pretty obvious that Mars has water. It has polar ice caps so there must be water somewhere. At this point in Mars' history, I'd be willing to bet that it's underground.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

It's a surfers paradise, man.

This is really amazing. From a "life perspective" water's good.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
What if the oceans froze over, dust and desert sand blew across and covered the ice; meteorite bombardment added extra debris. So there could be water everywhere, but we can't see it. If Mars had sedimentary rock, then it's likely there are limestone caves and underground caverns.

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
this tells us microbial aliens exist!!!!

WOOOO!

But do mars microbs need Earth Jesus?

edit on 28-7-2018 by andre18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Already posted twice in this forum.

Original thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Second.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thanks for the links, didn't find any threads on the topic when I posted this.
Will take a look

edit
Looking at the date it seems this was the first thread, but feel free to close it.
edit on 28-7-2018 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

My mistake intergalactic fire.
Apologies to you.

join