It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Egypt: Mass Anti-Mubarak Demonstrations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Egypt saw the largest anti-Mubarak demonstrations ever today. The demonstrations come amidst concern from Liberal, Leftist and Islamist Egyptians that Hosni Mubarak will secure a fifth 6 year term as President.

story.news.yahoo.com
CAIRO (Reuters) - Several hundred Egyptians protested in central Cairo on Monday in the largest street demonstration since the launch last year of a campaign against continued rule by the Mubarak family.

Liberals, leftists and Islamists chanted: "Enough, shame, have mercy" and "Down, down with (President) Hosni Mubarak (news - web sites)" in a public square outside the gates of Cairo University, as tens of thousands of mostly bemused commuters drove past.

Many of them carried yellow flags or stickers saying "Enough" -- the slogan of an informal movement dedicated to stopping Mubarak from obtaining a fifth six-year term in office or arranging for his son Gamal to take over the presidency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The last few months have seen more change in the Middle East than in the last 2 decades.

Could this be a sea change in the Middle East? Or could this be the Bush administrations alternative to Armed conflict? Undercover and clandestine changes that give the appearance of the people rising up against their own oppressors.

Its alot cheaper for the Americans politically and economically than waging War. Problem is it doesnt earn Halliburton any money so wheres their angle?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Maybe for once this isn't about busines but an individuals right to rise against a government when it does not serve the interest of the people. The liberation of Iraq and Afghanistan, though shady at times, have proven to be a catalyst for change. They have freed and oppressed people. I only wish that the US would do such things because of the human rights violations that take place within these countries and not because of WMD. We ignored the human rights violations in Germany, then in Cambodia, then in South America, then in Afghanistan, Iraq and now North Korea with the reports of Concentration camps and forced abortions. How much longer can we stand by with our radiation detectors and say we do not detect danger from the bodies of those oppressed by things other than chemical or biological weapons?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Whether many wish to admit it or not, but the democratic elections that took place in Iraq have become a contagent and is catching hold in the Middle East. Almost reminds me of the "Domino Effect" as applied to Communism in the 50's and 60's, only seemingly happening in reverse.

Ahhh, gotta love the winds of 'freedom' blowing, eh? ...

Personally, I hope it continues to spread and catch hold, and of course, with a little nudging here and there.

seekerof

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
What we have to make sure is that the right people get into power. Remember other US backed leaders? The shah or Pinochet?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Whether many wish to admit it or not, but the democratic elections that took place in Iraq have become a contagent and is catching hold in the Middle East. Almost reminds me of the "Domino Effect" as applied to Communism in the 50's and 60's, only seemingly happening in reverse.

I guess its possible that the neo-con hopes the outcome of the Iraq war might be true, but I seriosuly doubt it. Besides....

If this is caused the "freedom on the march" or whatever, it needs to be noted that we are very friendly with Mubarak. We're also very friendly with some of other "un-democratic" regimes in the Arab world. Most notably the Saudis, who are arguably the worst of the bunch. Probably even worse than Saddam. At least that nutter didn't have a Islamcist bent to his torture and murder. Women weren't forced to wear sheets and non-muslims were tolerated, unlike in Saudis. Islamacists are supposed to be the bad guys right? Doesn't this make us an impediment to the winds of freedom?

I'd get into the connection between the Saudi tyrants and the Bush family, but it's not worth it. The point is, we/Bush can't honestly take credit for any pro-democratic movements in the Middle East as long as we are friends with the murderers and dictators.

P.S.- If anyone thinks that this mess in Lebanon is caused by the Iraqi elections they are sorely mistaken. It as caused by the assasination of a particular man. The same would have happened if he was killed 5 years ago or 5 years in the future. Pent up resentment of the Syrian occupation was let loose by the assasination of this extremely popular man.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
And oh wait who else could forget our friends: Osama and Sadaam. They were pretty ok guys until the made a move against zionist....hmm i kinda see a connection...maybe it's not about oil....

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I think the words of the poet E.E. Cummings speaks the best i have heard about nationalism:

"next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country 'tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead