It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: “Tariffs are the greatest.” Also farmers need $12 billion in aid because of tariffs.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Just need to realize crops are growung contracts have been signed many moons ago. A lot of talk but a long ways down the road.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

" Trump, Juncker Forge Deal to Pull Back From US-EU Trade War "

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Oh, just so you know the EU has decided to import more soybeans from the US. Might be less aid than we think needed.

The increase in soybean imports has more to do with Chinese threats, and tariffs on US soybeans than with any "concession" by the EU.

From June:

The dispute has boosted prices in Brazil, the top shipper, forcing EU processors to look elsewhere for supplies. That’s likely to mean that the U.S. will overtake Brazil as the biggest seller to the 28-nation bloc next season, according to Rabobank International Ltd.
www.agweb.com...

Will US farmers be selling more soybeans at a higher price than they were? Enough to make up the hit on the Chinese market? Doubtful.

edit on 7/25/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Republicans should be ineligible for all government aid, whether it's farm bailouts or hurricane bailouts, since they hate the government and don't want to pay any taxes.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: xBWOMPx

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Let's take a page from the rightwing book here.
Shouldn't you be telling farmers to get a real job and a trade education if they want to make a living instead of depending on the government to spoon-feed them money to live on? I mean, you just going to let your tax money support some failed farm that can't survive under normal domestic conditions somewhere?

If it's offensive to provide at least food assistance to the poor, it should be just as offensive to provide a bailout to farmers who can't hack domestic sales.

Hmm... , And this pertains to my Post in what Instance >? ..........

Payback's a bitch, don't you remember what you type? Instead of your money wasted on the poor, now it's wasted on those farmers with their hands out. Just like the poor, as conservatives would surely point out. That's not an incentive to plan your fields better, now is it?

Those "farmers" make the food you stuff inside your face everyday, what do you think would happen if food dwindled down and disappeared? Now tell me, how does a poor lazy person who wants hand outs only contribute to society again?

The Michigan mom & pop farms my mom and pop grocery store partners with are currently unaffected by this crap because they farm smart and farm varied crops instead of one singular type of item. These aren't exporters by ANY means. Why should those who bank on foreign buyers to keep them afloat get a government handout for failing to sell?
edit on 7/25/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

The deficit was already on the rise thanks to Bush and Obama had to spend even more money to fix Bush's mistakes. Whether you want to believe it or not Obama gave trump the booming economy we now have and dropped the deficit from 1.5 trillion to 500 billion. To believe it just happened because trump became president is asinine and honestly dangerous to our political process because people like you would rather believe fox news and Alex Jones over verifiable facts. Regardless of the rights illogical arguments. Like seriously why would Hillary purposely lose just to frame trump. SMDH.

Obamacare would have worked but Republicans blocked funding every chance they could and republican states did everything they could to break the system. Which was income based and relied on full participation in order to work properly.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This tariff bidness is working out pretty good so far.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

originally posted by: thov420
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I agree 100% that other countries not wanting to buy our food sounds horrible and is driving the prices down. That said, cheaper food for Americans sounds good to me, since that perishable product needs to be used or thrown.

Cheaper how?
Either we pay the increase caused by trump's trade war via annual taxpayer funded bailout money...

Is this an annual or one time thing? Asking because I really don't know.

...or the farmers go out of business as markets disappear and scarcity drives prices up...

Food stuffs will always be in demand. if the money isn't in corn, the farmers will grow soybeans, if not that then hay/straw. Those same fields, the "breadbasket of the world", are going to be fine.

...or we pay increased prices to import formerly domestically produced crops.

If we're paying taxes to keep the crops growing, we don't need to import "formally" domestic crops so I guess I'm lost on that point.
edit on 7/25/18 by thov420 because: extra DIV

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Look, you lovely people, all he is doing is working on getting us free Tariff's just like everybody in the world had on us and the cause and effect it will have in the long run is make us more self reliant and have cheaper products, im really trying hard to understand a good reason to be upset about this besides the fact y'all just hate Trump. In a nut shell that's it, who doesn't want us to be more self reliant and have cheaper products? Ya'll really want to pay more money and spend your tax dollars exporting to other countries instead of spending your tax dollars helping your local farmers and industry out? Please give me a good reason to really hate having cheaper products and being more self reliant, please tell me how we need more expensive products and dependency off other countries...

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I agree 100% that other countries not wanting to buy our food sounds horrible and is driving the prices down. That said, cheaper food for Americans sounds good to me, since that perishable product needs to be used or thrown.

Cheaper how?
Either we pay the increase caused by trump's trade war via annual taxpayer funded bailout money...

Is this an annual or one time thing? Asking because I really don't know.

We don't know. He used an old law from 100 years ago (Great Depression) so he wouldn't have to go through congress.
So, I don't think anyone knows what Trump will do in the next 60 minutes, let alone predict what happens in 6 months or next year.

...or the farmers go out of business as markets disappear and scarcity drives prices up...

Food stuffs will always be in demand. if the money isn't in corn, the farmers will grow soybeans, if not that then hay/straw. Those same fields, the "breadbasket of the world", are going to be fine.

OK, then why is Trump giving Farmers 12 Billion right now?
Reality seems to disagree with the claim Farmers won't suffer.

...or we pay increased prices to import formerly domestically produced crops.

If we're paying taxes to keep the crops growing, we don't need to import "formally" domestic crops so I guess I'm lost on that point.

We are paying MORE to keep crops growing. Taxpayer Funded Welfare + Previous Price Point.
My point is that would not be necessary if Trump wasn't destroying markets Farmers make money in.

And no, the EU is not going to buy up anything remotely close to the lost market share.
Trump is full of crap and easily manipulated by every world leader he meets with.
They give him fluffy, unrealistic PR statements that benefit him politically and get real things in return from him.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   

OK, then why is Trump giving Farmers 12 Billion right now?
Reality seems to disagree with the claim Farmers won't suffer.

Well you can't just plow the crops under and replant, most of those farmers have already either sold on the market or are storing it in silos for a better price. Giving farmers a boost to keep them from going bankrupt during the turbulence sounds like a way better use of my tax dollars than a lot of what the government spends money on most of the time.

ETA: I don't really have anything as to your other points. I don't disagree with most of it. Have a nice night.
edit on 7/26/18 by thov420 because: ETA

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Farmers received an average of $16 billion a year in subsidies/bailouts from 1995 to 2016.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: xBWOMPx
Look, you lovely people, all he is doing is working on getting us free Tariff's just like everybody in the world had on us and the cause and effect it will have in the long run is make us more self reliant and have cheaper products, im really trying hard to understand a good reason to be upset about this besides the fact y'all just hate Trump. In a nut shell that's it, who doesn't want us to be more self reliant and have cheaper products? Ya'll really want to pay more money and spend your tax dollars exporting to other countries instead of spending your tax dollars helping your local farmers and industry out? Please give me a good reason to really hate having cheaper products and being more self reliant, please tell me how we need more expensive products and dependency off other countries...

It's just common sense and good management. We've been told for years how all of these trade deals and outsourcing was good for us but we know for a fact it hasn't been.

Also, everyone needs to realize this ALL is encompassed in a larger plan to keep China from knocking us off the top of the superpower heap. All admins have recognized that China is coming for us economically & technologically but only one has decided to do something about it.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: MiddleInsite

You do realize Obamacare was the most Fascist legislation that ever happened in the US?

Texhnically it is a social program.... but so is the farmer bailout.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: soberbacchus

Farmers received an average of $16 billion a year in subsidies/bailouts from 1995 to 2016.

Correct. The farm subsidy is premised on the idea that it is a national security issue to have our own food supply in case sh^% hits the fan.

Thus Congress passes the farm bill each year to help farmers deal with droughts, fires, crop failures and other stuff that mostly occurs due to climate change. The nature of farming means a huge portion of your net worth is sitting in the fields at the mercy of mother nature. The farm bill brings some stability and keeps farmers afloat during crazy weather periods.

Trumps Trade War is NOT mother nature. He nearly doubled the farm bill to COVER-HIS-ASS politically for his own Eff-up...with OUR taxpayer dollars.

The EU will buy SOME of the Soybeans, because the price is a bargain as US Farmers try to not go bankrupt.

The EU means that farmers will still LOSE X Dollars - EU purchases vs. LOSE X Dollars absent EU dollars vs. actually profiting by exporting to China.

And China has now turned to Brazil and other countries for Soybeans...that market aint ever coming back.

So how many years will trump keep US Farmers on welfare?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Never looked at it that way but it makes sense for sure.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Finally taxes being used on Americans, rather than foreigners who aren't even in America's best interest! Bravo Trump!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join