It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: “Tariffs are the greatest.” Also farmers need $12 billion in aid because of tariffs.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I agree 100% that other countries not wanting to buy our food sounds horrible and is driving the prices down. That said, cheaper food for Americans sounds good to me, since that perishable product needs to be used or thrown. Although I'm just kidding myself that my prices will go down at all. All those starving homeless and others below the poverty line will still be as bad off as before.

No matter what, people need to eat and farmers will always have value.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Righting the stupid economy mistakes of past admins ain't for sissies. That includes us. Suck it up, buttercup, it pays off in the end.

Suuure, soyboy! Nothing can go wrong with that plan!
Are you a Russian, btw?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: thov420

I agree 100% that other countries not wanting to buy our food sounds horrible and is driving the prices down. That said, cheaper food for Americans sounds good to me, since that perishable product needs to be used or thrown. Although I'm just kidding myself that my prices will go down at all. All those starving homeless and others below the poverty line will still be as bad off as before.

If only the farmers wouldn’t rely on exports somehow. Because they produced more than needed in the us of a. Wrong move, trump-boi.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

If only the farmers wouldn’t rely on exports somehow. Because they produced more than needed in the us of a. Wrong move, trump-boi.

Farmers rely pretty heavily on subsidies as well.

The database tracks $349 billion in farm subsidies from commodity, crop insurance, disaster programs and conservation payments paid between 1995 and 2016

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

A surplus of product demands a cheaper price no? Supply and demand and all, especially when that product is perishable. Use it or lose it as they say. If the world doesn't want to buy our crops, the farmers will adjust to the market. The same fields that grow corn and soybeans will grow damn near anything else you can name, besides citrus trees and other tropical plants, that has kept humans alive since the dawn of man.

Sad you had to resort to name calling at the end.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Let's take a page from the rightwing book here.
Shouldn't you be telling farmers to get a real job and a trade education if they want to make a living instead of depending on the government to spoon-feed them money to live on? I mean, you just going to let your tax money support some failed farm that can't survive under normal domestic conditions somewhere?

If it's offensive to provide at least food assistance to the poor, it should be just as offensive to provide a bailout to farmers who can't hack domestic sales.

Hmm... , And this pertains to my Post in what Instance >? ..........

Payback's a bitch, don't you remember what you type? Instead of your money wasted on the poor, now it's wasted on those farmers with their hands out. Just like the poor, as conservatives would surely point out. That's not an incentive to plan your fields better, now is it?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Let's take a page from the rightwing book here.
Shouldn't you be telling farmers to get a real job and a trade education if they want to make a living instead of depending on the government to spoon-feed them money to live on? I mean, you just going to let your tax money support some failed farm that can't survive under normal domestic conditions somewhere?

If it's offensive to provide at least food assistance to the poor, it should be just as offensive to provide a bailout to farmers who can't hack domestic sales.

Hmm... , And this pertains to my Post in what Instance >? ..........

Payback's a bitch, don't you remember what you type? Instead of your money wasted on the poor, now it's wasted on those farmers with their hands out. Just like the poor, as conservatives would surely point out. That's not an incentive to plan your fields better, now is it?

Those "farmers" make the food you stuff inside your face everyday, what do you think would happen if food dwindled down and disappeared? Now tell me, how does a poor lazy person who wants hand outs only contribute to society again?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Tariffs only work if you have an excess of goods to export that another country needs. If there's no need in other countries they will just buy domestically. IDK about China but I can't see Mexico or Canada needing much from the US.

ETA: Conversely if you put a tariff on a product that you need it's basically a tax on your own people.
edit on 25-7-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Tariffs only work if you have an excess of goods to export that another country needs. If there's no need in other countries they will just buy domestically. IDK about China but I can't see Mexico or Canada needing much from the US.

ETA: Conversely if you put a tariff on a product that you need it's basically a tax on your own people.

It's early, one cup of coffee, but I'm having trouble understanding that first statement. If country A has an excess of, say coal, that they want to export to country B. Then country A should put a tariff on coal? How does that help anything?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: intrepid

It's early, one cup of coffee, but I'm having trouble understanding that first statement. If country A has an excess of, say coal, that they want to export to country B. Then country A should put a tariff on coal? How does that help anything?

They could as a protection against their own industries but if they have an excess I don't see the point.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I've worked in. Agriculture my whole life.

Jimmy carter embargoed the Russian purchase of wheat in 1980. Democrats had a massive bailout for farmers back then.

Eu played these games under Reagans second term, then Clintons first term.

If you farm in the EU, you work pretty much directly for the STATE. You get a salary and the govt makes your excess grain 'go away'.

In the 1980s The US dept of ag told you what grain to plant and how much, if your land had EVER been in a farm loan program. I'm sure we'll go right back to that.

The farmers unaffected are "boutique farmers" rather than cereals producers. The specialized products sell here in the US, and are unaffected by international trade war.

I know a family that went into hay exclusively (from wheat and cattle). They are a large corporation now.

I've also seen a family choose to do all organic cotton. That has been huge, and relative moving back to the country to help grow their operation.

Trump told farmers he was going to do this, back before the election when he was stumping in Ohio. Kasich thought he would win the state because of trump "having no sympathy" for corn. The average farmer knew that breaking free of big govt running big ag would require this....

Brazil got out of the trade wars two decades ago, by running their cars on corn ethanol. When the price of corn is low, practically their whole country burns corn in their cars and trucks. And their production costs are higher than in the US.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

“This is becoming more and more like a Soviet type of economy here: Commissars deciding who’s going to be granted waivers, commissars in the administration figuring out how they’re going to sprinkle around benefits,” “I’m very exasperated. This is serious.”
said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.).

“Taxpayers are going to be asked to initial checks to farmers in lieu of having a trade policy that actually opens and expands more markets. There isn’t anything about this that anybody should like,”
said Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 3 GOP leader.

Trump is giving farmers “golden crutches,”
Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.)

“this bailout compounds bad policy with more bad policy.”
Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.)

“This is what we feared all along, that these markets would be replaced by handouts,” “You lose some of these markets, you lose them for good or a long time.”
GOP Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona

“You put people in the poorhouse and provide them aid. What you need to do is not put them in the poorhouse,”
"They put in place a policy that requires farmers to go on welfare."

GOP Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee

www.politico.com...

*Notice these are ALL GOP Senators.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

And he revived a Great Depression Era law that allows him to do this circumventing Congress.

The effort is unusual because of its magnitude and because it originates from the executive branch, not Congress.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced Tuesday that it will utilize a Great Depression-era law to send payments to producers of dairy, hogs and certain crops. It will also purchase surpluses of commodities including fruits, nuts, rice, beef, pork and milk

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Righting the stupid economy mistakes of past admins ain't for sissies. That includes us. Suck it up, buttercup, it pays off in the end.

Go wash your face, you still have some Trump on your chin.

always love it when the first response is a triggered right wing snow flake with their head so far up their ass that they can see what they had for dinner.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You're right, NAFTA was completed under the Bush Sr administration, time to fix that mess, or were you blaming Obama for NAFTA?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I agree 100% that other countries not wanting to buy our food sounds horrible and is driving the prices down. That said, cheaper food for Americans sounds good to me, since that perishable product needs to be used or thrown.

Cheaper how?
Either we pay the increase caused by trump's trade war via annual taxpayer funded bailout money or the farmers go out of business as markets disappear and scarcity drives prices up or we pay increased prices to import formerly domestically produced crops.

This is Soviet Era Economics, maybe examine how it worked out for the Soviet Union.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JosephKnecht

You're right, NAFTA was completed under the Bush Sr administration, time to fix that mess, or were you blaming Obama for NAFTA?

I blame all of them since JFK. Globalist swamp creatures. Looks like Trump is an outsider to all that crap and so far I'm liking what I see. Wallow in your partisanship if that's the best you can do. You're all smart-ass and no substance.

We've been sold down the river for decades and somehow you seem to like it.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JosephKnecht

I blame all of them since JFK. Globalist swamp creatures. Looks like Trump is an outsider to all that crap and so far I'm liking what I see. Wallow in your partisanship if that's the best you can do. You're all smart-ass and no substance.

We've been sold down the river for decades and somehow you seem to like it.

Your post lacks any substance.

"Swamp Creatures" "Globalist" "Sold Down the River"

It is like burping right wing buzzy words and phrases.

Please explain why you support the unilateral (reviving a Depression-era law to circumvent congress) spending of taxpayer money to provide welfare to Farmers that Trump's trade war is hurting?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Oh, just so you know the EU has decided to import more soybeans from the US. Might be less aid than we think needed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join