It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Mars Rocks with Notable Features

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Sure they are not these ……..??

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Muppet on Mars.

Mars is the only known planet in the universe inhabited solely by robots, but on Monday (Aug. 13) NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter had a close encounter of the furred kind. Dotting the surface of the Red Planet's southern pole is, apparently, a geological formation that looks just like the balloon-eyed, scarlet-maned science Muppet, Beaker.

From here.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
There's a lot going on in the original of this image:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

But this little string of pearls caught my eye:

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
imgur.com...

If you consider that you're looking at the side profile of a saber toothed caveman, I'm sure you can understand the title "The Teeth"

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Colorful stripes, apparently unrelated to stratification:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Nut-bolt with washer:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 4-9-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Here's a little worm-like thing of some sort. It would be completely unimpressive on Earth, but this kind of thing is unusual on Mars.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 5-9-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Lumpy worm:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Another piece of tape (see above):

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Here's a funny little hole:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Little bug skeleton or something:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 12-9-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Here are a few interesting pieces I've found scouting curiosity's raw images sol by sol. I've been keeping up with it for several years but have lost many pictures on an old phone.... and now I can not find them on jpl website. Anyways take a look at these images I found interesting.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Txbuffalo

Thanks for sharing these, quite an interesting collection of photos.

Would it be possible to post the links to the original files at NASA/JPL? Since you uploaded the images directly to ATS, it's difficult to find out on which Martian sol they were taken. I'm especially interested in checking if there's more information available regarding that last photo in your post.

ETA: And welcome to ATS, hope you'll enjoy your time here and I look forward to all your posts and threads!

edit on 13-9-2018 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r
Would it be possible to post the links to the original files at NASA/JPL? Since you uploaded the images directly to ATS, it's difficult to find out on which Martian sol they were taken. I'm especially interested in checking if there's more information available regarding that last photo in your post.

Agreed. In that last image, I particularly liked this little spoked thing. Looks like somebody lost a bottle cap.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

I tried to edit the post yesterday but it wouldn'they me. And now I'm trying to do this from my phone but can't copy the web addresses....

Sooo what I'm gonna do it just post the Sol for each picture and then add the link whenever I get to computer or my phone starts to cooperate..
#1 and #7 - sol 416
#2 - sol 915
#3 And #4 - sol 1711
#5 - sol 703
#6 - sol 413
#8 - sol 429

#1 - almost perfect cube. I know some sedimentary rock cleaved at right Angels but that just doesn't look

#2 - probably nothing bu6 in the bottom right corner that pattern in the ground looks

#3 and #4 - right Angels again looks cut with

#5 - is that a head or just pareidolia

#6 - perfect circle in rock looks like a hook up valve to

#7 - another circle in rock looks like a setting for a pole maybe in a rock balance on edge.

#8 - folded rock looks like a sea shell

again I will update with links just wanted to get this info out first thing

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Txbuffalo
a reply to: jeep3r

I tried to edit the post yesterday but it wouldn't let me. And now I'm trying to do this from my phone but can't copy the web addresses....

These are obviously from a while ago, since all we've been looking at for a long time is this current hard scrabble bedrock which is super boring.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The links made it a lot easier to locate the source images, thanks for posting them.

I was interested in what you described as a "folded rock" (image #8) and was wondering if there's any chance to get some extra depth information from the archives. They did take a second image with the left MastCam, so it's possible to create a stereoscopic view:

Click here for a large version (cross-eye viewing).

Sol 429 source images:
MastCam left
MastCam right

It does remind me a bit of this feature that Curiosity came across a few sols earlier, but with some kind of arch on top. Could be due to erosion, but interesting nonetheless.

edit on 14-9-2018 by jeep3r because: formatting

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Seeing pictures of maybe organisms or maybe artifacts of a lost civilliasation on mars, the moon or any other candidate does remind me of looking at pictures of ufo's. they are always out of focus or hard to recognise as being something other than ours. Maybe the simularity is not a coincedent.

edit on 14/9/2018 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Source Image 01 / Source Image 02

I also found the above photo (images #3 and #4 in your post) to be quite interesting, the feature is called "White Ledge". The official NASA/JPL blog entry can be found here. The guys over at the UMSF forum were speculating that these images might show rip up clasts, concretions, raindrop casts, or groundwater cementation.

It could in fact be concretionary sandstone. Some terrestrial examples of concretionary limestone (or cannonball limestone), which is quite similar, can be found here and here.

The weathering patterns of the top layers of White Ledge are not unlike corrosion/rust, but I have no idea whether that's what really caused it to look like that.
edit on 17-9-2018 by jeep3r because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Square peg in a round hole:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join