It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2018 - The year the northern hemisphere burned.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Newsflash: up to 30°C in Alaska as of now. Inuit me that?

Wow. Play around with some buttons on that site and you'll get the Temperature Anomaly Map, illustrating the change in temperatures all the way up to the poles.

Then take a closer look at the Jet Streams transporting all the heat and moisture around Greenland, for example (the red and fast parts). The more wavier it gets, the more heat will be transported into the Arctic while the cold air gets sucked out to the center of the US (and the center of Asia) in between the "rivers of heat and moisture".
This crap is speeding up the warming as well, so ... I dunno... get a houseboat or two?

The northern polar jet stream (it has a counterpart in the Southern Hemisphere) is driven partly by the temperature contrast between masses of icy air over the North Pole and warmer air near the equator. Climate change, true to the predictions of the past half century, has led to faster warming in the Arctic than in the temperate zones. So the temperature difference between the two regions has been lessening.

Research suggests that this reduction in the temperature difference is robbing the jet stream of some of its strength, making it wobblier and contributing to more temperature extremes.

What's the jet stream's role in extreme weather?
The jet stream is strongest in winter, when it has the greatest effect on weather in more densely populated parts of North America and Eurasia.

When it rolls along in relatively steady waves, normal weather ensues, with spells of cold, snow and intermittent warm-ups.

But when it coils far to the south, bitter cold Arctic air spills southward along with it.

insideclimatenews.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It's real hot here in Russia

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Breaking news: its called Summer ya'all

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Melting here in Vegas. With Humidity. Was 107 outside at 9pm last night.

This may go down as the hottest July ever here and possibly the hottest summer by average.

Definitely something going on this year. Greenhouse gasses? Ocean Currents slowing down is the last thing I read.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: whiteblack
Breaking news: its called Summer ya'all

Nah, this summer is special. Way hotter than last summer. Something going on besides just normal weather patterns over a lot of the world.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Funem

You're nicking all our water! Mardale village is visible again as a result. I'm going to pee in Haweswater to protest!

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
a reply to: vinifalou

It's complicated.

A video involving Linda Moulton Howe.

Just about anything she comes out with is horse #

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

This happened to the U.K. at least in 1976. I’m not sure why it seems to be affecting the whole northern hemisphere pretty much, I though and it’s plausible that the Gulf Stream has veered from its usual direction again. But how would that affect Japan?

Perhaps it’s a sun cycle? Does anyone know if the Southern Hemisphere is experiencing an unusual winter?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

www.bbc.com...

apan's weather agency has declared a heatwave sweeping the country a natural disaster, with at least 65 deaths recorded in the past week. An agency spokesman warned that "unprecedented levels of heat" were being seen in some areas. More than 22,000 people have been taken to hospital with heat stroke, nearly half of them elderly, officials say. On Monday, the city of Kumagaya reported a temperature of 41.1C (106F), the highest ever recorded in Japan. The heatwave shows no sign of abating, forecasters say. In central Tokyo, temperatures over 40C were also registered for the first time.

Greece is in the grip of deadly wildfires as soaring temperatures continue across much of Europe In Sweden at least one person has been killed and dozens more injured by forest fires. Hot weather and persistent drought have seen wildfires raging as far north as the Arctic Circle Neighbouring Norway experienced its hottest May temperatures on record and has also suffered forest fires Parts of the UK are also experiencing a prolonged heatwave and the government has issued a "heat-health watch" alert in the east and south-east of England Cities across eastern Canada suffered a deadly heatwave in early July , with at least 70 deaths in Quebec province alone A heatwave in Southern California saw record-breaking temperatures in some areas including a sweltering 48.9C (120F) in Chino, outside Los Angeles Reports from Algeria say that Africa's hottest ever recorded temperature was registered in the northern city of Ouargla on 5 July - 51.3C (124.3F)

www.bbc.com...

Reality Check: Mapping the global heatwave
Looks like the southern hemispehere is warmer than usual too then

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The sea around Japan is a bit warmer and fish catches are way down also.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMNOTYOU

I said a long time ago on a thread on ATS that the Aliens are trying to change our climate so that they can live here... maybe this is what's happening now. maybe they can't handle the cold weather climates!
edit on CDTTue, 24 Jul 2018 16:01:34 -05000000003104x134x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Try the second link and scroll down. You'll see more heat in Australia, Afrika and South Amerika (with a cold front in Argentinia).
We have an increase of +0.5°C on a global level compared to the average temperatures from 1979-2000, and an increase of 1.5°C in the Antarctic alone. So yeah, the south gets hammered with heat as well.

edit on 24-7-2018 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: johnb

There has been a few fires in England this year... very unusual. In fact, I havn't heardof it happening here before, there was one started last Wednesday night in Wanstead Park which isclose to Epping Forest. Surprised it didn't start in Epping Forest instead. We have higher temps coming this week so maybe one will start there.. But it could also have ben caused by someone throwing a cigarette away and then the heat just caused a little spark to light the dry grass.

That's the thing. Some of these fires ARE caused by arsonist.

The one in Greece for example... They are looking for the arsonist. That means... Someone did it.

But hey... global warming is so much easier to say. That other stuff? Too many words.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
the real cause of how bad forest fires are now days is due to human interference with nature. not human caused climate change, but the fact that we have been trying to put out every fire for generations. forest fires are a part of nature. in fact some trees can not even reproduce without fires. the thing is that because we have been working to put out all the natural fires, we have allowed combustible materials to build up. so when there is a fire it tends to go out of control and become a huge problem and difficult to put out. and does far more damage. if we had just let nature take it's course these fires would have happened all the time, which would have consumed those combustible materials making the fires smaller and easier to put out when human settlements are threatened. in short we have no one to blame but ourselves. this is the type of danger we create when we interfere with nature and natural cycles. and the type of danger we face from hard core believers in human caused climate change, if we let them run amok trying to fix things.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk
Sorry bout that, its normally not a problem as well you know living in the overcast northwest. Nice to have a summer for once rather than 12 months of rain. Hopefully it doesn't cause to many problems, and the farmers can keep the crops and livestock going.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Inland valleys in California are searing right now, but it's not unusual. I live on the central coast for a reason....because it stays cool year round! If you don't like the heat, then go where there's no heat.

No brainer.

Not the end of the world folks.
edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 24 Jul 2018 20:25:50 -05007pmTuesdayth08pm by EternalShadow because: ETA

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Cold wet, frosty, rainy, Arctic Winds (of the Ant variety), above average snow falls in the snow regions, near freezing night temps....in other words a "Normal" winter in Southern Australia.

In the North, 32 deg C, sunshine, sometimes rain, hail etc etc...a typical Northern Aust. Winter.

In 6 months, the North will have hurricanes, and the South will have 40 + deg C boiling hot days, Bushfires will happen, the roads will melt, people will sunburn at the beach, and we will again complain we will all die and hate the heat.
You never get use to hot weather....unless you are black.

Our best times in the southern areas are Spring and Autumn.....in the north it is either hot and wet (summer) or hot and dry (winter).

Nothing any different to any other year......dont believe that silly map on the linked sight, its no where near accurate, or an indication of any trends.

Glad to here Europe is having some warm weather......might be worth having a trip....maybe move back "Home" again... do some surfing

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Here in the mid-South (western Kentucky) we had August type weather for a few weeks (temps and humidity in the 90s) but now we're back to typical June weather in late July. If memory serves me we had nearly this same pattern last year, with heat/humidity early then cooler, less humid days in August.

We've had what the farmers call the perfect amount of rainfall for crops and I know that I've not had to water my gardens nearly as much as in some years past. I think I've only turned on the sprinklers three or four times and even then, it rained within 12 hours after I'd bit the bullet and watered.

But---the high heat did affect a lot of people's gardens, a lot of scalding of tomatoes and peppers in particular. The hail storms didn't help either, making tiny bruises on the tomatoes which then turn to rotten spots before the fruit can fully ripen. So we've had a lot more waste of the fruits this year. (Well, not really waste since the bad bits either get fed to the chickens or go to the compost pile.)

The three weeks that I was without air conditioning just happened to be hottest, most humid so far this summer. Two days after I got a new system, the heat moved on (as storms moved through) and I've not had to run the system much at all unless I've got a lot of heat going in the kitchen when I'm canning produce. All in all, I can take the heat much easier than cold. I had a few five-shower days but that heat wave seems to have moved all the way over the Europe now.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

The UK's longest heatwave since 1976 is forecast to intensify as the week goes on, with 91F (33C) temperatures expected today and 93F (34C) tomorrow before the South East of England faces a sizzling 97F (36C) on Friday. But torrential downpours are forecast to hit northern and eastern England on Friday afternoon and evening, bringing up to 2.4in (60mm) of rain in just three hours along with thunderstorms, large hail and gusty winds. Temperatures will then drop a little to 77F (25C) by the weekend which will provide some relief for a country that is today entering its 31st consecutive day that has brought a UK maximum reading of at least 78F (26C).

And there's a blood moon this Friday night... should be ale to view it quite well as long as the nightsky remains clear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join